Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothes in your closet

Paulax, keep ONE item just so you can see how far you have come. You will need that inspiration one day, and it will be hanging there in your closet. The rest, let it go!
I agree. That's a great idea.

I kept a few things.....my biggest pair of pants and the clothes I wore the day of surgery.

Well, I'm a year out, shy a couple of weeks, and I still wear everything I wore pre-op.

Omigawd, how? I don't get it. You've kicked butt to go from 47 BMI to your current 39.9. You can still wear your Pre-Op stuff? How?

I will accept being clothes-obsessed but I can barely wear anything that's a few sizes too big. I've only gone from about a BMI of 38 to my current 30 BMI. I mean that's just 50# I'm down at least 5 sizes. So nothing fits now. I just realized I have no suits in my current size. I had to wear one of my pre-op suits the other day and I was beside myself. I know I'm still fat but when I wear my older clothes from a size or two up, I feel so crappy! I feel swollen, blubbery, and even more fat.

I have also noticed I'm much more introverted if I wear something older from my closet. But if I wear something more fitting or something in my actual size, I feel better.:rolleyes

I donated a ton of my too-big clothing (especially after Hurricane Katrina) as those are always needed by charities. However, a lot of the name brand, designer, nicer stuff went right on eBay. (Remember that national name brand clothing almost always sells better online than unknown brand names. If you have some higher- end clothes, nicer store labels or name brands - sell those first.):)

eBay is a godsend to me - and its how I made my living for a couple years until recently so it seems like as soon as I sell some of my older, too big clothes, I'm rushing to buy newer ones. During my "active losing" period last year, I couldn't buy clothes fast enough it seemed - eBay allowed me to not have wasted my money on those clothes that I barely wore before realizing they were too big.

Happy Band Journeys to all.

Omigawd, how? I don't get it. You've kicked butt to go from 47 BMI to your current 39.9. You can still wear your Pre-Op stuff? How?

I've lost two sizes at most. I was in 22/24 and now I'm in 20/22. I use a belt for my jeans, so that's a bonus. I've lost a lot from my legs and arms, all my pants now look like I'm wearing clown pants becaue there is so much room in the butt and thighs, but my waist hasn't changed that much. I've lost something like 6 inches off my bust and 8 inches off my hips, but only 4 inches off my belly.

I have amazing muscle definition to my legs and arms (especially my forearms), but I'm still amazingly fat through the trunk. It's one of the signs/symptoms of Cushing's.

I was also stuffing myself into cloths that were too small, so I had that oh-so attractive Michilan Man look. Very sexy... :)

I'm so gonna do the ebay thing after I get banded. I have so many things that it's insane because I buy tons of clothes and most are bran new and I never wear them because they never fit properly. Thanks for such a great idea, I never would have thought to ebay it!

I used to be a "size all around" in the closet clothes keeper. Then I was banded. I now will only keep up to two sizes up (for those bloated time of month days!). I also ebay my clothes. It is much better to just throw the whole thing on one listing for me though and sell it as a big lot. Sure beats selling them for a quarter at a garage sale when I spent so much money on them!!!

I have rubbermaid tubs of clothes in smaller sizes, all separated by size. When stuff in my closet gets too big, I simply get out the next tub :) I've got down to a 14 ready to go.

I donate my clothes. They are thrilled to get bigger sizes because apparently most folks don't donate them.

....???ummm....closet? What is that?

I think that is what I affectionately refer to as "The Boutique". I have clothes ranging from size 8 all the way to 18.

I hope to find a couple of needy women to donate the clothes to, as I hope to shut down the "Boutique" by years end. Will only carry one size.

Vines, I have lost alot of inches elsewhere but my waist has remained extensive. But instead of wearing clothes that are too baggy elsewhere, I started buying lower cut pants. They are more fashionable and ignore my belly fat.

I didn't keep anything. In fact, last week I had to go clothes shopping for interview outfits for this week and I just bought my size off the rack - I didn't even try stuff on and when I got home it fit..

The suit I am wearing today is a $7.50 blazer, $2 skirt and $3 camisole and it looks great. I wish I could post a picture. Shopping is so much fun these days.

BTW - what I am getting rid of is the old clothing in my current size. It makes me look old.

I thought of giving my old clothes away to a charity shop, but I'm not sure as larger sizes are welcomed. I suppose there's gotta be a market there, somewhere.

there are plenty of large poor income people out there looking for used cloth, give it up! you may keep some one warm or just better dressed!

I thought of giving my old clothes away to a charity shop, but I'm not sure as larger sizes are welcomed. I suppose there's gotta be a market there, somewhere.

Something you might try is FreeCycle on Yahoo. You could probably find someone there quickly that needs them and could use them.

or we could start our own free cycle:)

another board, I am on did this, for the cost of shipping we share clothes and anything.

I have been putting my clothes outside and the Vietnam Vets pick them up for us and leave a tax thing. The stuff they pick up goes to homeless shelters so they can use anything and everything, and I get the tax break for them. We have been using them for years. They only will take stuff that one guy can get on the truck tho, so larger items (i.e. furniture) are not wanted. Right now as we speak I have 6 garbage bags full to donate.

I've lost two sizes at most. I was in 22/24 and now I'm in 20/22. <SNIP>...but my waist hasn't changed that much. I've lost something like 6 inches off my bust and 8 inches off my hips, but only 4 inches off my belly. :P

I know your Cushings fight had a lot to do with this, I'll bet. I'm glad you know exactly what you're up against now, Vines.

In my case, I did lose a bit of weight off my abdomen - but very few inches - because my stupid hanging belly skin totally blocked me from seeing much progress there. Once I was asking the doc why diet/exercise wasn't helping my belly much and he looked me over, touched the area, and announced flatly "Tummy Tuck."

Oh, I see.:phanvan

I made my appointments and had one by the end of the year. So those things that fit OK because they were baggy - totally didn't fit after the Tuck - and I had so much excess skin & flab that once it was taken off, I'm much smaller. YUCK! I've never been pregnant - that was all my body's own flab, I don't have any kids to blame it on.

Anyway, I'm still healing but it looks like my belly flab was causing me to wear almost a size larger than I needed to. I don't exactly look like a swimsuit model but I look a bit more streamlined and clothes fit SO much better now. Now keep in mind, after I had the Tuck, I would go back for follow up's and my still-healing body was actually trying to replace that lost flab with new fat cells. :eek: I was like "No Way Buddy!"

My body: The Ultimate Fat-Producing Machine.

But I think it's going OK now. So I'm putting some gently worn name-brands duds on eBay again this week - I did really well with the last ones that I sold but I was so scared the Tummy Tuck wouldn't work that I held on to my baggy clothes 'til the last minute. Now they can go!

[ A TIP for those planning to sell their too-big clothes on eBay - Take it from a veteran eBayer: Don't say in your auction description: "I lost a lot of weight so let my loss be your gain." BELIEVE ME, buyers hate to read that but I see it in a lot of new sellers' ads. No one wants to hear that their current size is your OLD size before you lost weight. And if you do it, guaranteed your items will sell for much less. Trust me.]

Happy Band Journeys to all.:D

I guess I'm evil. I have a sister who was mean as hell to me growing up. I was called 'thunder theighs", "fatso", etc growing up. Now I give her my old clothes. She loves the clothes and it makes me feel really good to know her ass is bigger than mine now. :eek: I'm mean I know!

OMG - our sisters must be evil twins! I do the same thing. Wrong, I know, mean, probably, but man it feels soooo good!