Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Does It Feel When You Are Actually Full After Getting Satisfying Fill?

I have read some comments saying that their first fill was 3 cc's and no one really felt a difference. I am feeling so hungry right now. I lost 15 pounds in a week preop. I put on two pounds since then and I am getting extremely upset. I am watching what I eat but i havent had my first fill yet so I just wanted to know how can I cope with this and has anyone felt a difference with their first fill? My surgeon said I would be getting 3 cc's for my first fill. My first fill is the 16th of this month.

You are in what is often referred to as "bandster hell", because you're post surgery and healing but with no fill so you can eat pretty much like you did pre-band. Bandster hell is a lot of white knuckling willpower- it's rough.

As far as fills, everyone is different. Some people (like me) get restriction right away with the first fill, others take 3, 4, or even more fills to finally feel restriction. Unfortunately, you won't know until you get the fill.

Whatever happens at your fill, just remember you're at the beginning of the journey. If you have restriction then great, but don't get discouraged if you don't. It WILL come, it's just a matter of when and how much in your band before it does.

Hang in there, I promise, it's worth it.

I would like to know the same thing. I love my doctor - he is allowing me to be aggressive with my fills. I had surgery January 31st - first fill of 5cc on March 5th - second fill of 2cc on April 2nd. So 9 weeks banded and I have 7cc in my 11cc band. I barely feel restriction - never gotten sick - have felt a little chest pain a few times, but that is it. I'm hoping that I will feel the delayed restriction that some people talk about that occurs several days after the fill (which seems weird that it wasn't immediate?). I am the slowest eater in the world and I chew my food to death before swallowing - which is a really good thing with the band, however, I find that it slides through the band easily, thus never getting stuck. Unfortunately, my weight loss seems too slow and it takes more for me to feel full. I quit eating when the plate is empty - as I don't get the "full" feeling very often. I gained 4 lbs. from the surgery fluids and with absolutely no restriction, that is all the weight I lost until my first fill - so no change on the scale according to my doctor's office. I did lose 6.2 lbs. the next four weeks after the first fill. It is so slow and I'm so impatient!! It seems like I stay stuck on the same weight day after day after day, then finally it will drop a few ounces and the scale moves down to the next pound, where I stay for days - you get the picture. At least I can tell that I have lost inches, had to buy smaller size 14 jeans and people are finally noticing and commenting - yeah me! So, keep in touch and everyone please comment!!

First off, I have never felt "Full" since being banded. I'm not sure where that misconception came from.

According to the definition - description of the "Green Zone", it says you will be "Satisfied" not Full.

I have been in the green Zone for almost a year, and have found my "Groove".

I can go all day, and I have, without even thinking about food let alone getting hungry. After 12 hours of no eating, you can put a piece of cheesecake in front of me

and I will say "No Thanks, I feel fine" That's being satisfied!

The presence of the band, adjusted properly, sends a signal to the brain telling it you are full. Satisfied.Don't need to eat. But physically you are not full, you may have not even eaten for many hours.

The trick to being successful with the band, is learning how to listen to it. When adjusted properly, it sends you feedback all the time.

Thanks B-52. Can you tell me what size band you have and the amount in it? I have an 11cc band with 7 cc’s. Just wondering if I am one of those who will need to have their band almost at full capacity to feel true restriction and be in the green zone. P.S. Love the new way of looking at this – satisfaction vs. fullness. Thanks!

First off' date=' I have never felt "Full" since being banded. I'm not sure where that misconception came from.

According to the definition - description of the "Green Zone", it says you will be "Satisfied" not Full.

I have been in the green Zone for almost a year, and have found my "Groove".

I can go all day, and I have, without even thinking about food let alone getting hungry. After 12 hours of no eating, you can put a piece of cheesecake in front of me

and I will say "No Thanks, I feel fine" That's being satisfied!

The presence of the band, adjusted properly, sends a signal to the brain telling it you are full. Satisfied.Don't need to eat. But physically you are not full, you may have not even eaten for many hours.

The trick to being successful with the band, is learning how to listen to it. When adjusted properly, it sends you feedback all the time.[/quote']

Always so insightful!!!

I am very disappointed also. I had the surgery on 1/14/12. I lost 15 lbs the first 2 weeks and 1 pound since then. I had a fill 2cc on 2/18 and again 2cc on 3/3. Why am I not losing weight. I go to the gym 4 times a week. But I do feel hungry alot of the time. So I eat slower but almost the same as before.

Thanks B-52. Can you tell me what size band you have and the amount in it? I have an 11cc band with 7 cc’s. Just wondering if I am one of those who will need to have their band almost at full capacity to feel true restriction and be in the green zone. P.S. Love the new way of looking at this – satisfaction vs. fullness. Thanks!

7cc in a 10cc band did it for me.

Another way of looking at being satisfied is "Lack Of Interest" in food.

I may want to eat, and can look all over the kitchen and not find anything that interests me although there is plenty there. I can stand and stare into the fridge for eternity not seeing anything.

When I sit down with a meal, I'll begin to eat, maybe 1/3 of it, then put push it aside. Don't feel like continuing.

Don't know if that makes sense but it is all mental.

A friend of mine says she eats whenever she wants, all day, and stops when she's satisfied. kind of the same thing.

Add it all together for the day and it 's not as much as you would think.

I also found it helps to keep busy all day, and our kids are grown so we don't have to shop and cook for a family.

I did not get restriction until 10.6 cc in 11 cc band. I agree it's more about feeling satisfied and not being motivated to continue to eat. It is not the stuffed feeling you used to get when you over ate. I feel you know the band is starting to work when 2-3 hours after lunch you walk by the coffee center at work and don't have the desire to eat the Cookies your coworker brought in.

I'm glad to have read this!....It's not a feeling a state of mind.... Thanks for putting it together for us newbies B52...ps u look greeeaaaat!

We all are Superstars!*

I did not get restriction until 10.6 cc in 11 cc band. I agree it's more about feeling satisfied and not being motivated to continue to eat. It is not the stuffed feeling you used to get when you over ate. I feel you know the band is starting to work when 2-3 hours after lunch you walk by the coffee center at work and don't have the desire to eat the Cookies your coworker brought in.

Exactly!

I'm glad to have read this!....It's not a feeling a state of mind.... Thanks for putting it together for us newbies B52...ps u look greeeaaaat!

We all are Superstars!*

YES. it's mental, but don't let your emotions get th best of you, you know when we binge for no reason at all! But then, with restriction that's hard to do also.

I g,ot a first fill on march 22 (banded feb 9, 2012). For the first two weeks it felt like nothing....then miraculously after two weeks.. i started to eat chicken.. not chewing it to death... and wow.. it got all stuck in my throat.. and i thought aha!! this is restriction. But here's the kicker.... it varies from time to time in the day and what I eat. for example.. something warm opens it up... something hard and formed like chicken not chewed enough.. makes it growl at me.., if I eat mushies.. they slide right on through.. if i drink liquids with food like they say not to do.. that screws it up... soooooooo.....if you want your band to work for you... wake up... start with something mellow.. like tea... don't eat breakfast.. wait till midmorning.. try a protien bar. NO LIquid... and just wait to feel how that goes down..

No liquids at lunch... and some chicken thats a little dry.. give that a shot.. you should be feeling it by then.. midafternoon have a liquid-fest just so you don't get dehydrated.. throw in a protien shake... wait a couple of hours until dinner.. and go for the dry foods again.. if you wait between liquids.. you should feel the tightness again... this is a learning game.. you have to "Feel" that ring..... and use your head to feel the fullness... its a reeducaton process, training your brain to understand the new you. good luck its a day by day leaning adventure

I g,ot a first fill on march 22 (banded feb 9, 2012). For the first two weeks it felt like nothing....then miraculously after two weeks.. i started to eat chicken.. not chewing it to death... and wow.. it got all stuck in my throat.. and i thought aha!! this is restriction. But here's the kicker.... it varies from time to time in the day and what I eat. for example.. something warm opens it up... something hard and formed like chicken not chewed enough.. makes it growl at me.., if I eat mushies.. they slide right on through.. if i drink liquids with food like they say not to do.. that screws it up... soooooooo.....if you want your band to work for you... wake up... start with something mellow.. like tea... don't eat breakfast.. wait till midmorning.. try a protien bar. NO LIquid... and just wait to feel how that goes down..

No liquids at lunch... and some chicken thats a little dry.. give that a shot.. you should be feeling it by then.. midafternoon have a liquid-fest just so you don't get dehydrated.. throw in a protien shake... wait a couple of hours until dinner.. and go for the dry foods again.. if you wait between liquids.. you should feel the tightness again... this is a learning game.. you have to "Feel" that ring..... and use your head to feel the fullness... its a reeducaton process, training your brain to understand the new you. good luck its a day by day leaning adventure

In the beginning it does come and go, and you adjust to it. As you get more fills it becomes more permanent.