Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

24 Hours Down And This Is Way Worse Than I Expected!

Please tell me it get's better. Back pain, shoulder pain, belly pain, Constipation, painful burps after tiny sips of water..... :( It seems like everyone else thought it was an easy recovery. What's wrong with me?

I had really really bad shoulder (from the gas) pain and my tummy was really sore too. It does get better. The gas was the worst for me, it took a couple weeks to finally dissipate. I'm not a wimp, but this was a harder recover than my 3 previous surgeries (septoplasty, thyroid removal, gallbladder).

It gets better, just get some rest and try to get a slow walk in every now and then for the gas. Everyone says it helped...

Hang in there. Everyone is different when it comes to recovery. Did the doc give you Nexium? Have you been using the gas x strips? They really do help. Don't be afraid to take your pain Meds. The pain will pass. In 3 days my shoulder pain subsided. I was banded 2/29. I'm 4 weeks out and I feel good. I felt pretty much better after a week. My abdomen was sore by the largest incision site and anytime I got out of or into bed it was like hell! But its temporary. sleep and rest as much as possible. Prop a few pillows under Ur shoulders to ease the pain. It also helps to be elevated for ease of getting in and out of bed. In a few days you will be as good as new. Take it day by day..

It does get better! I thought the same thing as you! Try some gas x and walking for the shoulder pain, chewable gas x or the strips. I wouldnt reccomend the peppermint flavor.... seemed to make things worse with me but the cherry was fine!

Remember to get up and walk...ALOT. When was your surgery? Just take it easy, but when you keep moving it really does help. Also, take your pain meds on a schedule, if it says every 4 hours, be sure not to let it go longer than that, its harder to get pain under control than it is to maintain control.

Yes, it will get better! I was not one of those who had surgery one week and went back to work the next. I took 2 weeks off. Try to walk little laps around the house, it will help the gas move out. I also found a heating pad to be my best friend the first couple of days. Don't try to be superwoman or compare yourself with others. Everyone heals (and loses weight) at their own pace. Get plenty of rest! It will help your body and mental state.

Take Care and keep me posted. :)

Please tell me it get's better. Back pain, shoulder pain, belly pain, Constipation, painful burps after tiny sips of water..... :( It seems like everyone else thought it was an easy recovery. What's wrong with me?

I'm having the same problems. I'm a week and one day out and my shoulders still hurt. My belly hurts. Pretty much everything hurts.

I had trouble drinking anything after and eventually could not keep even Water down. I ended up having to have another surgery because my original was to tight and had to get a bigger one. So if you get where you can hold water down call doctor. However I think the other pain and stuff is pretty normal. Good luck!

What you are feeling is normal and I had most of these same problems. It does get better. Remember to walk walk walk. It works wonders. Good luck!

Yes it does get better. I was so paranoid that my left shoulder would hurt forever and ever. My Doc prescribed Advil for 5 days and it magically disappeared on the 3rd day. I promise u it will get better. It seems like an eternity I know.

Yes it does get better. I was so paranoid that my left shoulder would hurt forever and ever. My Doc prescribed Advil for 5 days and it magically disappeared on the 3rd day. I promise u it will get better. It seems like an eternity I know.

I heard a heating pad does wonders for the shoulder pain. I have been drinking peppermint tea because I saw some posters on the board say that their recovery nurses highly recommended it. I also bought one of those mini-pillowpets to hold against my stomach when getting up or sitting down- the pressure seems to help my belly.

I have also been walking often.

Just keep your head up, it will get better.

Heating pads are THE BEST for shoulder pain. And the gassiness in your tummy (that causes the painful burps) can be helped with peppermint tea.

I thought my lapband surgery wasn't too bad, but I just had port revision and that has kicked my butt, and it feels like I'm never going to feel normal again. But I know it's not true. You do heal, you do feel better after a while. So just take it one day at a time. Pretty soon, you'll look back and you'd have had your band 3 years, like me. :)

I am 6 days out and I live in sweat,s I have yet to put on real pants. I have shoulder pain on and off and cant eat more than 500 calories in a day, it took me 4 days to get to where I could eat anything. You are not alone! Oh and I'm still off work, I think I'll be able to go back on Monday, honestly I didn't feel remotely human until day 5 post surgery and that was just marginally human.

Thanks for the replies and support. I'm hanging in there.

I also had terrible shoulder pain and my legs were so sore that I had to lift them with my arms to get onto the bed. I made sure to walk around every time I got up to go to the bathroom. I walked in and out of my upstairs bedrooms and would basically just pace nack and forth for about 15 mins at a time. It will get better!