Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

American Idol

paula

I didn't see the show yet, but am shocked beyond belief that Chris got voted off. In my opinion, Katherine is the one who should have gone. She is sooooooooo soooo boring and generic. Her voice is just ok but she cannot handle the really "big" songs as she has proven time and again. Elliot is probably the best vocalist on the show, but lacks charisma.

Katherine is so boring, I always forget all about her, and I'm always asking my husband "who's the other finalist again?" and he tells me and then I'm like "oh yeah... her." What a big yawn.

It would be funny if Taylor Hicks won, but how are they going to promote his album? I bet Simon is none too happy about Chris being kicked off. Chris would have been so much easier to market.

gosh, i have to interject here...

we are all upset about Chris leaving, but I do not think that justifies everyone slamming all of the other contestants. If Chris was getting married the day of idol auditions and did not make it onto the show, we would all still have a favorite. I think it is OK to be disappointed about Chris leaving, but we are doing a disservice to Chris(and ourselves) by trashing the other contestants. I say, let's all respect ourselves. Let's remember that these are real people. So many of the criticisms seem personal. Who is to say that these contestants will not, some day, stumble upon some of these insults? I know that I would not want to hurt someones feelings just because MY favorite did not win. They are all good in their own right. They each have their own fan base. AND NOONE CAN DENY THAT THEY ALL HAVE TALENT. Everyone has to acknowledge that they could have never gotten this far without it.

Just my .02

btw, i am still boycotting AI. I think that there must have been a malfunction of the calling systems. I called each of the contestants lines last night, well after 9pm. Chris's line was the only busy line. I called it several times and heard the busy signal.

Does that make me a hypocrit? ((sigh)):Banane13:

I think they're all fabulos singers! I mean, I've heard myself sing and it ain't pretty! I'd take one of their voices any day of the week (in girl form, that is.) I'm just glad the obnoxious ones got kicked of early in the game.

amen sister!!

don't wanna hear me sing, although i do attract quite a crowd at karaoke. i make all of them...uh....smile.

btw, i am still boycotting AI. I think that there must have been a malfunction of the calling systems. I called each of the contestants lines last night, well after 9pm. Chris's line was the only busy line. I called it several times and heard the busy signal.

Mini Me,

I have to disagree with this statement because I called for over an hour to vote for Elliot and I couldn't get through to vote. The same thing happened to me last week. It may have more to do with what part of the country your calling from.

Roberta

perhaps it IS something in the phone lines relative to the part of the country that you are calling. I do not know. I still find it hard to believe that SOOO many predictions were made for Chris to take the final title, and now he is not even in the top 3!!!

i do find myself trying to rationalize how this could have happened. I just find it quite difficult to swallow that in the past, i have been able to place all 100 psychotic votes for him with no busy signals. Yet this time, i can't get a line for him, and have no problems getting a clear line for the others.

It seemed that Chris was doing so well. And he is most definitely very appealing and marketable to the alt / rock culture. I mean, i can turn on any of the major stations in Houston, and i hear songs that remind me of him. i hear the subtle, yet very distinctive differences in his style that i believe will make him stand out. i know that while he has the same appealing sound, he will not blend in as "just another" rocker.

I think Kathryn will have a successful carreer singing for the whole celine dion crowd. i think that is where she wants to be too. despite those who call her boring, etc. i have found several of her performances entertaining, and even adorable at times. she can be very cutesy, and then charming, then elegant. She is very young, but i am confident that she will grow into a hell of a performer.

Taylor may be spastic...he may be wild, but i LOVE to watch and listen to him. He is really talented(as they all are). his cheesy antics are NOT enough to make me write him off. i believe that he has a sound that will withstand time, and in the genre that he prefers, he will thrive.

Elliott has a sound that does not match his appearance. Boy, they could make his voice a pop(by pop, i mean popular, not bubble gum) sensation, but I could also see him being a HUGE R&B superstar. I cannot quite put my finger on it, but there is just a sound to his voice that I can hear in a duet with some of the great R&B stars of today. From what I understand, he is from New York. If New Yorkers are anything like Texans, they will all vote for Elliott regardless of who their favorite is, so I think he has a real advantage in that he is hugely talented AND has numbers on his side.

Who is my favorite to win? Elliott, AI will not be tempted to make him sell out and do songs that do not fit him. He can sing the songs that AI wants. I can hear him be soulful and seductive.

Who do I think will win? Taylor, who i love, but i don't think that AI will allow him to sing the songs he needs to sing.

Then again, who knows. Kat may run away with it.

Stranger things have happened.

Closing on Chris--although i am saddened, as i could sense his own disappointment in being eliminated, bigger tragedies have occurred, and will occur. Heck, this was probably best for Chris, AI, AND Chris Fans.

I heard on Entertainment Tonight that Chris already has a deal and will be fronting a already established band that is a "household name". He can't actually sign the deal until the AI tour is over though per the agreement he signed with AI. I can't wait to hear more from Chris!!

Mini Me:

I don't know about anyone else, but I like and enjoy hearing people's opinions of all the contestants, positive or negative. If celebs can't handle having negative things said about them, then they should not reach for the limelight. And I DO respect myself, thanks.

Super Daddy!!!! I'm astonished - Bo is definitely not a Disneyland wanna be!!!!!! (BTW, he's playing a concert at Birmingham's amusement park, Visionland, later this summer)

Hope you know I'm just kidding~! Bo is a household name here, and we are all proud of him, but he has been spurned because of AI! He didn't want the big life either, I actually feel sorry for these guys/gals who get into the cometition not knowing what they're headed for! The limelight can be a spirit-killer, y' know?? Sad, sad, sad!

To say that if celebs can't handle having negative things said about them, then they should not reach for the limelight is, well, imo, a cop out, especially when we are talking about idol contestants. Now, if you were to say that if celebs cant handle having negative things said about them, then they should not do stupid things...I could have agreed. These contestants, for the most part are NOT celebrities, and do not seem to fit the mold for the people who would typically reach superstardom on their own. Consider Kelly Clarkson. She refuses to shed her southern draw in her conversations. She stills says things like, "heck" and "ya'll." You don't hear Beyonce doing that...and Beyonce is a Texas girl too. They are both superstars, but are distinctly differenct celeb types. blah blah blah, i did not want to start a debate....

We can agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My opinion-if we are going to criticize, then we should make it resemble something other than a personal attack. To say that any of these folks cant sing is not a very valid statement to make, as they have beat out how many 100's of thousands to get there. Maybe they arent superstar material, but neither are most of the former idol winners.

And when I said respect yourself, it was not a personal attack on anyone, it was advice for any and everyone. it is a phrase that I use when talking to my children, my family, my co-workers, those who have worked for me, and even my bosses. If we ALWAYS respect ourselves, then there is no reason to believe that we will ever disrespect anyone else. I guess the whole idea for me, in this instance, is if we were the friends of these idol contestants, how would we deliver our criticisms to them?

GOSH, THIS IS A FUN THREAD, AND I WAS ONLY TRYING TO SLOW DOWN THE NEGATIVITY.

i still love you guys...and Sunta, I am sorry if you took offense.

So, I haven't heard (can you believe it?! my sources must've quit prying) what next week's performances will be...

I DO know that Taylor is right here in B'Ham scooping up the local love! My hubby SO wanted to go see him perform this afternoon....but, alas, we can't. Children's activities always come first (dadgum it!!!!)

So, anyone got the scoop on next week's song stylings??

No offense taken Mini Me. You know, I just like to live by Dorothy Parker's quip:

"I you don't have anything nice to say about anyone....

Come sit next to me!"

LOL! Sorry if I tend to be catty, it's just my nature...

Ooh - interesting! A conspiracy theory. It really does seem strange that Chris was voted off. He was my favorite, and I thought he performed really well. I actually like Katherine (ducking to avoid shoes), but she was awful on both her songs this week and deserved to be gone.

I try to picture Taylor being successful on a Kelly Clarkston level, and I just don't see it. He's entertaining live, but will he be able to sell records? Joe Cocker and Michael McDonald aren't exactly burning up the charts right now.

With or without AI, Chris has the brightest future.

Chris has been offered a contract to be lead singer for his favorite band. This band could be nothing but FUEL, as they have lost their lead singer. He is going to be big time. He can't commit to the contract till the end of American Idol but Chris is going places for sure. I will be the first to buy his CD. A grandma that loves Fuel, now that is something isn't it?

Hi,

I have been a fan of Elliot since the beginning. Anyone who can overcome adversity (diabetes and 90% hearing loss) and can sing the way he does deserves my vote. He does need a little bit of cosmetic grooming. He is actually starting to look a lot better because of the stylists and I am starting to forget his old look. He could in fact get an expander for those front top teeth and his mouth would look a lot better. Cosmetically, hes a lot more attractive than Clay Aiken was, so this shouldnt get in the way of his success. I am not saying this to be mean, just an observation, but his Mom is not the most attractive woman in the universe and he got the gene pool from dear ole mom unfortunately.

I love Chris and do think he is better than Catherine was, but he really is better off without the show at this stage in his career for many reasons. He is now 27 and if he really wants to launch his career, the quicker the better. No matter what, he is far better off without the show. People will not forget him, but I dont think he should join Fuel. This will totally mess up his chance as a solo artist and he does not have the time factor on his side in this youth generated music industry.

Katherine is a GREAT singer, but to me she picks the wrong songs and over exaggerates like Constantine Moroulis? used to do. She really belongs on Broadway.

Taylor Hicks is awesome when he emulates a JOe Cocker presence instead of trying to gyrate his way with upbeat songs. Its great he is having such fun, but the richness of his voice is only apparent when he is singing soulful songs. He is awesome, but I really want Elliott (the underdog) to win. GO ELLIOTT!!!!!

Babs in TX

334/180 ish