Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After Pregnancy Weight Loss

Hello Everyone, I just got refilled after baby turned 11mts..I was totally emptied while pregnant and didn't worry about any diets. But back on my journey and excited with 2.5cc...

Light I hope you are back on track soon!!

I am breastfeeding and surprisingly I am already down 20 pounds. I am planning on a fill at about 6 weeks. I am taking it easy right now and not worrying to much about what I eat, I don't eat horribly anyways, but not depriving myself of anything either.

Hey Light when will your baby be 1? mine will be 1 June 22nd! this year with him has flown by!

I had my baby on March 18th. I was completely emptied for my pregnancy because my doctor said that’s what they had too do so that I can get enough nutrition for the baby (I now have heard that they do not have to do that unless its necessary) and gained 52 pounds! I got my fill of 2.5cc right at the 6week mark and really didn’t feel too much of a difference. It’s so hard with my 4 ½ year old and my two month old to go to the gym! I eat pretty badly and getting used to eating the way I did before is harder than I thought it would be. I’m so scared I won’t get back on track with it, especially since I had been at my goal weight for 10 months before getting pregnant. :wacko: I just made my next appointment to get a little more liquid put in. Hope the restriction helps with the eating!

Brenda -banded 4/08

You're still

Not sleeping enough- so just do your best until you are getting better rest

-Cordelia, banded 1/08

When I found out I was pregant I was 43 years old and 15 weeks along. I had 2.5cc in my band and was pursuing a course of slow weightloss (2 to 3 pounds a month). I had just gotten below the 300# mark and freaked out when I learned it was likely I would gain back much of what I'd worked so hard to lose.

I immediately contacted a team that specializes in helping women who are pregnant post-WLS to manage their weight while ensuring good nutrition for their babies. With their guidance, moderate exercise, and with the tools I'd already learned regarding handing cravings and whatnot (see this post http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/147416-one-year-post-op-no-results-please-help/page__st__20__p__1787949#entry1787949) I managed to keep my weight gain down. The day I went in to labor I was 7# up from my pre-pregnancy weight, with an added benefit that keeping my weight down meant a smaller (7#1oz) baby for vaginal birth.

I experienced some nausea and had little room for food the last month of pregnancy and practically lived on frozen yogurt bars and Protein drinks, but did not have my band unfilled because I knew it wasn't my band that was causing the problem, it was my being so pregnant (my mother lived on popsicles on the last month of her 3 pregnancies, she said).

I'm 3 weeks post partum and just had 1cc removed from my band yesterday -- I'm struggling to keep down food along with all the Fluid I'm drinking (at least 64oz a day) because I'm breastfeeding and losing 4# a week is too fast.

I've dropped 27# from my pre-pregnancy weight, and I've done that by making sure to get up and around as soon as possible. Moving my body and keeping my metabolism up is integral to reducing my weight. I've been walking a mile (minimum) every day since the baby was 10 days old, first with the pram and now I'm wearing him in a baby bjorn for the walks and a few hours a day.

I'm 3.5 years post-op and down 90# with 90# to go. It is slow going, mainly because I've got PCOS and I'm a foodie (I like really good food rather than junk-food) who had portion-control issues. I've learned to address emotional eating and cravings, Portion Control (I use salad/dessert plates for meals now) and to move my body however I can (be it dancing in my living room, parking father away from my destination, or going for a swim).

So far, having a baby hasn't hijacked my weight loss -- it's increased my focus. I have doubled-down now that there is a little person dependent on me being healthy and here for the new couple of decades.

I suppose what Im trying to say is -- it can be done. The band is a tool, but in order to use it effectively over the long term, you have to develop tools to deal with cravings and portion sizes and food choices, and once you've got those tools down, the lap band is more of a back-up tool, rather than the primary method of weight reduction and maintenace.

I had my surgery and lost about 100 pounds. I was 150 lbs and 5'6" on a muscular frame. I was healthy, very active and happier than I have ever been in my life. Most importantly, I had the energy to be the type of wife and mother I wanted to be :) Now that we have had our second child I am having difficulty losing any weight.

My story goes like this...After a year of trying to conceive, I became pregnant with twins. It was a high risk pregnancy, so I was not allowed to exercise AT ALL. When I asked the doctor if I could at least walk on the treadmill, he said "not even a gentle stroll". Then I went to my lap band doctor and wanted to have a partial unfill since I was carrying twins. He insisted on a complete unfill, which was REALLY difficult considering I was forbidden to exercise. I then lost one of the babies and was devastated. At around 28 weeks I was put on bed rest for the duration of my pregnancy. In case you haven't figured it out, the exercise restriction, unfill, and bedrest were a trifecta to rapid weight gain and I packed on almost all of what I lost to begin with :( To compound the issue, I fell down the stairs 2 days before going into labor and broke my foot, resulting in 8 more weeks of no working out!

I have since had a beautiful baby boy! I am now 5 weeks post partum and have lost 25 pounds. Quite frankly, that is just baby weight and has nothing to do with my partial re-fill. I've had two fills and am up to 5 ccs right now. Prior to getting pregnant my sweet spot was at 5.5 ccs. As of right now I have no restriction though and have lost NO weight with the fills thus far. I go back next week for another fill, but since I haven't lost weight I am worried that there will still be fatty tissue built up around my stomach and will prevent the level of fill I need. I am trying to not be so hard on myself, but I need to lose this weight fast. I go back to work at the end of August and cannot afford a whole new wardrobe because I can't workout and lose the weight in time. I really need a good fill to help balance this out!

I am 6 weeks post partum and I am down 36 pounds. I am having some issues and we thought my band had slipped. My upper GI this morning showed it was fine but I do have a hiatal hernia, most likely caused from the pregnancy. I also have a tighter band than I thought according to the upper GI. I guess after no restriction for 9 months what I was feeling and thought were problems is actually restriction! Ok so now to get back on track!! Hope all is well with everyone!

JWL=your story is similar to mine. I got pregnant with twins after having the band, but lost one of the babies around 19 weeks. I now have a very healthy 18 months old little boy. I am so sorry to hear about your loss but congrats on your little boy. It is so difficult watching one and knowing there should be two. My heart goes out to you!