Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just wanted to update and give some thoughts dont judge or be negative because these are just my opinions. everyone is different

it has been just shy of one year and i have lost 100 pounds and i truly regret getting the lap band, it has not helped anywhere near what i thought it would of.yes i have been following the rules and getting fills and check up regularly so it is not that, it is just the simple fact that it has not helped me as much as i thought it should. On a percent basis i say the band did 10% (maybe even less) the check ups did 10% (i never wanted to go back and not be at least a couple pounds down so it forced me to go work out) and then my own will power and mind set 80% i still have another 60-80 pounds (havent decided final goal) to go and just like every other time i have dieted and exercised i am losing that motivation and fear gaining the weight back or being stuck right where i am... still fat, overweight and obese. the two main regrets i have with the band now besides it not working like it should (which i do have good restriction maybe even a little too tight) is that you can still easily eat around the band if you want and intake quite a bit of calories. it almost has had a reverse effect on me mentally instead of my mind reteaching myself to stay away i have just found different ways to satisfy the cravings. the second thing is long term concerns with the band and port, every day i stress if its slipping or the port has flipped because of the horror stories you read, and the fact that i now have foreign items inside my body. the insurance is getting worse so if anything ever does happen i dont know how i will afford the surgery if it does need to be taken out. i know that any weight loss surgery is not a quick easy fix and that it is just a tool and its only as good as you use it but for me the band was not the right choice it works too slow and not helpful enough. i easily could of gotten the same results with out implanting this into my stomach if i would of just motivated myself and hired a trainer and nutritionist. to make me accountable.

I have had my band for 4 yrs on March 26th. I initially lost 114 lbs. 278 on day of surgery. But 321 3 yrs earlier. I understand what your saying, however in my case I have been obese my whole life. I know for a fact without my band I would be way over the 321 mark.

I have gained 30 lbs over the past year with the band. But I have gone through a divorce after 20 yrs of marriage, my mom died and let's just say my life has not been what I thought it would be. So what did I do, eat sweets and not exercise. But if I didn't have the band. I just don't even know how big I would be.

I know it's easy for you to think you could have lost the 100lbs without the band and it only helping 10% but I would have to disagree. The band does stop you from feeling hungry and forces you to stop eating. Without it I would have ate so much more during my down times but the band stopped me even when I pushed the limits. As far as manipulating the band and eating I have done that and I now believe I have to get help from a counselor as to why I want food. Be positive. Think about it honestly. Do you really think you could have had the motivation to exercise and eat properly without the band and seeing the lbs come off day by day. My answer for me is no. I love my band and would do again no regrets.

Now as for what could happen in the future with the band, I too worry. I was a cash pay patient but I know if something ever came up life threatening insurance would pay.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck

Lynn

Philippians 4:13 <><

Lynn <o(((><

mj23- I could have written that exact post myself. Band has not been the tool I hoped it would be. I lost all my excess weight but feel like I did it on my own. I am now struggling with maintaince. I have gained about 35 pounds back of the 107 I lost. Although, this last week and a half have been good. I was getting really hungry late afternoon and getting off track. I am now going to the gym twice a day when I can. I am at the gym instead of eating - yeah me lol. Just know your not alone and good luck.

Wow!! I don't really even know what to say. I'm not trying to be negative, but I don't see how you could possibly say that 100 pounds in a year is not a success. Huh...

I have had my band for 4 yrs on March 26th. I initially lost 114 lbs. 278 on day of surgery. But 321 3 yrs earlier. I understand what your saying, however in my case I have been obese my whole life. I know for a fact without my band I would be way over the 321 mark.

I have gained 30 lbs over the past year with the band. But I have gone through a divorce after 20 yrs of marriage, my mom died and let's just say my life has not been what I thought it would be. So what did I do, eat sweets and not exercise. But if I didn't have the band. I just don't even know how big I would be.

I know it's easy for you to think you could have lost the 100lbs without the band and it only helping 10% but I would have to disagree. The band does stop you from feeling hungry and forces you to stop eating. Without it I would have ate so much more during my down times but the band stopped me even when I pushed the limits. As far as manipulating the band and eating I have done that and I now believe I have to get help from a counselor as to why I want food. Be positive. Think about it honestly. Do you really think you could have had the motivation to exercise and eat properly without the band and seeing the lbs come off day by day. My answer for me is no. I love my band and would do again no regrets.

Now as for what could happen in the future with the band, I too worry. I was a cash pay patient but I know if something ever came up life threatening insurance would pay.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck

Lynn

Philippians 4:13 <><

Lynn <o(((><

i agree completely with your comments here, and thanks so much for the verse from Phillipians.. its very appropriate.

It all comes down to the emotional baggage that we carry. having the band fitted is just a part of the whole picture. its a tool. however, the band does not and cant, renew our minds. its there to remind us that we have to be disciplined in our approach to food now.

Sometimes the emotional and mental issues remain though, and if they continue to be a problem, then you can get some help. the band is only a tool. its only as good as we allow it to be.

i do hope that i can manage mine properly in every way once im banded this week. i need a renewal of my mind and emotions as well. Seek some help if you cant get around the issues you have now. If you are thinking this way even a gastric band would be of no use to you, and worse still, that cant be removed or fixed once its stretched.. I think its obvious that the real battle is in our minds. as long as wel recognise this, we have a good chance of success.

Wow. Thanks for sharing your feelings. I am so happy that you have 100lbs of weight gone! Imagine the health benefits that you don't actually see that your body is enjoying. I, on the other hand, am one of those people who have struggled with being overweight all of my life. I am almost 1 yr. out of lapband surgery and feel like a new person, even though I have lost about 35lbs. I too have had a struggle with trying to outsmart the band and fill that ever-present "hole" in my life with food that goes down easily.

This is a life-long journey for me and I am glad to have the tool that I now have to help me get to my goal. I feel thankful that I was fortunate enough to get it, but now I need to use it properly and not work against it.

Best wishes to you.

Mj, what foods are you eating when u say u eat " around the band?" just curious as a newby. BTW congrats on losing 100!! Excellent!!

Wow I be thrilled with 100 in a year. I lost 60 in 13 months.....I work out 4 times a week n still sucky wl

Wow, 100 lbs in 1 year and you're not happy? Are you healthy? I can't imagine a better outcome. any faster and you'd more than likely have complications, malnutrition, etc. What were you expecting?

No offense, but how can you not be happy with 100 pounds in a year? Would you still have that extra 100 pounds if it wasn't for the band, because it sounds like you weren't doing much for yourself if you needed to lose 150 pounds. Either that or you thought it was going to be an easy fix and went into with insane expectations.

its not that i am not happy that i have lost the 100 pounds i am ecstatic to lose it and feel better about myself physically and mentally (more outgoing) i am just disappointed that i feel like the band has not help as much as i was expecting thats all. i had to work my ass off to get it off diet and exercise just like before and if i dont do both of those things the weight doesnt come off ive actually gone periods of not doing either and the weight has actually been put back on im simply stating that this is not as useful as a tool as i thought it was going to be

i wasnt going to share about eating around the band because once you figure out how to do it, it really gets you off track stay focused on the diet part but if you most know there are alot of foods you can eat that it feels like the band is not even there and before i knew it i found myself endulging heavily on these foods almost like out of control the easy way around the band obviously is foods that break down very easily the one huge down fall for me is ice cream, even with the band i can eat ice cream very normally before i know it i would have half a carton down and be like what the eff and really upset with myself so certain foods like that. i know when i make meat loaf if i make it just the right way i can eat quite a bit of it as long as i take my time it doesnt fill me per say. foods like that if you dont watch your self you could consume quite a bit of calories. another way of eating around it is to graze i cant eat a whole 6 inch sub to save my life but if i take a bite of it here and then a bit of it later on if i really was focused on doing that i eventually would eat the whole thing which is very embarrassing thing to admit but i have done it before just because i wanted it that bad obviously not worth it but can be done

obviously at no point did i think this was a quick fix or an easy way out either i knew i would have to work hard and that it was only a tool and if i didnt use it it would not work but once again im simply stating it just didnt help as much as i thought it would. in some examples i guess you could say i was expecting an air tool and got a hand tool or expecting a cadillac and got a cheap honda i cant rely on the thing for much...

I understand what you are saying about eating around and will power being 80% but I have read lots of stories about people not thinking that the band was doing anything and have fluids removed then they see just how much the band was helping. Hang in there you can do this! I too worry about changes in insurance but let's cross that road if and when we need too. You have done so well just keep it up!!

MJ23 did you go in for regular fills? I understand what you mean and if I am being honest with myself I have to say it is not what I expected either. It is NOT easy and yes it takes effort. That effort is what we need though, we need to diet and be aware of what we are eating and we do need to exercise. It makes us accountable. All and all the band has been invaluable to make me really see the addiction to food I have. So with therapy and the band I know I will succeed. Good luck to you