Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Have Failed My Band And My Band Has Failed Me

I had my surgery in November 2010 and the weight started to come off quickly up to around 40 pounds then it stopped. I have not had a fill in a while because I think it is tight enough as food can easily get stuck. I don't feel like I am restricted other than the when something gets stuck ... but I feel like I can eat as much as I want.

I recently joined weight watchers which defeats the whole point of having the band.

What should I do?

IMO if you can eat as much as you want, then you have no/little restriction. No matter what I eat, even Soup, there is a point I have to stop.

The fact that you have gotten stuck before could be entirely based upon the types of food you eat, and the way you eat them.

The trick for me, was to be as tight as possible, and at the same time learning to eat all over again, and give up certain foods.

Once I figured that out, I found my "Groove" and it has been EASY ever since!

I had my surgery in November 2010 and the weight started to come off quickly up to around 40 pounds then it stopped. I have not had a fill in a while because I think it is tight enough as food can easily get stuck. I don't feel like I am restricted other than the when something gets stuck ... but I feel like I can eat as much as I want.

I recently joined weight watchers which defeats the whole point of having the band.

What should I do?

Does W W really defeat the point... No I used WW when I began and it works great... I learned that my band is a tool and now that I had it I could learn to eat well and I could finally stop when needed... It won't be forever that you will need help.... But we are addicts and WW is like going to A A. The band is like getting detox... I have not had a fill in about 6 years... But I changed my life. I still have to exercise and not go crazy on the junk. But be encouraged you can do this!

B-52 is correct..... if you can eat as much as you want, you need a fill. Then you have to monitor HOW YOUR EATING. Are you truly chewing till it's minced in your mouth? Are you putting your fork/spoon down after each and every bite? Are you paying attention and not watching tv, reading, or talking? Are you drinking with your meal or are you waiting your full 30 minutes?

In my opinion.... the band does fail to work.... WE FAIL TO WORK OUR BAND....

Maybe you just need a little fill, because when you're getting stuck it's because you're maybe not following your eating rules? My doctor said I should be able to eat anything as well, just less of it. I'm kind of in the same boat; banded in August 2010 and I'm down 35 only. I know a lot of it is because of what I have done; I've never been a "model weight loss" person. It's the hardest thing I've ever done (trying to lose weight). But as stated, the band is just a tool (as I've come to learn) and WE have to do most of the work still. Which sucks; wish there was an easy solution, but there's not.

I agree with the other posters here it does sound like u need another fill but u do need to go back to the doctor and discuss this, sometimes self diagnosing whether we need a fill or not isnt the answer if u are having trouble losing weight .. I still get some food stuck even after all the time i have been banded and its me not the band .. i am either eating too fast, havent chewed enough or havent cut the food small enough.. The doctor is the expert so tap into his knowledge and go make that appointment :)

What size band do you have? Sometimes food gets stuck when you eat to fast or your not chewing your food till its mushy. I also had my lap band in Nov 2010. I've lost almost 50 pounds it is a struggle ever day.

I got stuck for the first time at 6.5cc. I could eat anything I wanted. I continued to get stuck on and off from then until I hit my green zone at 8.5cc. At 8.5cc, I literally couldn't eat much even if I wanted to. And I was just about never hungry.

Being stuck doesn't mean you have enough fill in. It means you're eating too fast or eating things your band may not tolerate (I could not eat rice but could eat Pasta while in my green zone). Being in the green zone means a little bit of food will keep you satiated for hours. It means you only eat a little bit to get satiated. It means you can't physically eat more than that amount of food.< /p>

The band has not failed you. You have not yet failed the band. Gets fill(s) and get the band working the way it's supposed to. What you're describing does NOT sound like you're in the green zone to me.

First tell the whole thing to your doc and see what he or she recommends!

But yes even people with empty bands get stuck (wrong foods or eating without being aware of chewing etc)...to feel full and satisfied on tiny meals you need to be at your sweet spot...but you have to change ALL the behaviors that get you stuck.

Some people continue to get stuck so they dont get enough fills for good restriction as an excuse to fail...be sure that is not you.

My dr. told me to always take 15 to 20 bites with everything I put in my mouth. It has worked for me.. I'm newly banded, but even in the mushy stage I do it. I would also feel if I 'm not satisfied with the amount I'm suppose to eat, then something needs to be done.