Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wish You Would've Known

Hello,

I finally got a date and Im getting banded on March 21. I wanted to knwo from fellow bandsters, is there something you wish you would have known before going through with it?

Yes! I wish I would have been warned how much pain I would be in after surgery. I woke up and started vomiting and did that all through the night. My stomach hurt SO bad I couldn't believe it and even told my husband at one point that I would rather just be FAT!!! It hurt until the 3rd day and I stayed pretty doped up on my pain meds but I was still very uncomfortable. At midnight on the 3rd day I woke up and felt pretty good and have just been getting better ever since. I'm 8 days out now and I can do every thing that I could do before and I don't have any pain. I regretted it that very first day, but it has been SO worth it since then and I know that the weeks/months/years to come will be well worth that little bit of suffering... just would have been nice to know.

Haha funny how you said, I rather be FAT! It must have been really bad for you to say that. Well thank you and I will keep that in mind. Any comments of the incisions? Very worried about the scars, I want to use a teeny tiny bikini one day :D

Thanks,

Didi

My incisions are definitely there, one is pretty big, it's where the port is and the other 4 are fairly small. They're higher up than I expected, sort of closer to my breasts than my waist. I'm not at all worried about them though... I can't ever picture myself in a bikini LOL not even at my 135 goal weight LOL

The pain was bad but its kind of like child birth. You know it hurt but you forget. LOL The other thing I wish I knew ahead of time is ahh how can I say this... No #2 for days... I thought something was wrong with me but you are not eating anything so no #2. LOL

Dont let what happen to 1 scare you off. I woke up and felt pretty good. Just a little gas as the week went on but nothing worth cpmplaining about.

The one thing I wish I would have known is "Banders Hell" it is right before your first fill and you are Sooooooooo hungery and can eat just about anything you want. Well thats what happen to me.

You just have to decide for your self if you want the surgery or not and stay on these site and chat with those that have been there and done that They are your best souce of information. And dont let others woes scare you. We are all different.

Good Luck!!!!!!

Just to prove everyone is different...no bandster hell for me!! I'm never hungry and I have never had a fill. I agree with Carolyn, I wish I would have known how much pain I would be in. Everyone I talked to never mentioned how painful it would be after the surgery. It took DAYS for me to fully recover and about 5 weeks before I could start working out again. Hopefully, that will not be the case for you. However, it is better to be prepared than not. My incisions are not bad at all but I do have good skin (thanks to my grandma Helen!). This has been one of the best decisions I have made but I was mentally prepared to do the hard work that comes along with the band. You just need to make sure that your mind is right for this. The best of luck to you!!

I wasn't in much pain at all after surgery. I was the first patient of the day and I was home by noon. The only thing I found painful was the gas. Gas-X did not help. I used pain meds and a heating pad -- my surgery was on a Tuesday and I had 1/2 a dose of pain med on Friday, and that was the last! I was a little shocked at my incisions. None of them are very big, but there are five all around my stomach! The absolute worst problem I had was just an all over fatigue and severely light-headed!!! I went back to work one week to the day after surgery. That just happened to be my worst day of being light-headed! After that one week mark, I've been doing great. I started working out after two weeks.

For me the worst was the bloating! I didn't go to the bathroom for four days but figured I wasn't eatin so why would I, meanwhile I got more and more nausea as the bloating got worse. I finally called my dr on day four and he suggested milk of magnesia and gas x. Can't say the gas x did much but by the end of the day the mail of magnesia made me feel human again! I'm six days out now and I am feeling better but I was surprised the pain latest this long. Last night I searched for "lap band procedure" on utube and they had a ten minute unedited video of the procedure. Ouch, no wonder I am in such pain and that's besides the hiatle hernia repair!! So far I have had no appetite at all and yes walking around really does help. Sorry long winded but when I was researching several of the nurses and staff had had the surgery and they were like "oh, it's so simple" and bragged about how they were out of work from thurs sun and returned on Monday. No one said "dude, it hurts like hell but it's worth it" so I guess that's what I'm saying. Finding this app and all the support of "fellow banders" has been a life saver literally and I feel so glad to have made this decision!

My surgery was 2 1/2 yrs ago. I wished I had done alot more studying up and reading about the lapband before I had it. I wanted it - I got it. I even attended the 4 hr mandatory seminar my drs office had about a month before and I never remember them telling me to be so patient! I wish I had known back then that the first few months (or until you get proper restriction) were going to be so hard. I really thought I had failed yet again. I could eat just as much as I had before. I lost maybe 8 lbs during the first 5 mths. As soon as I got my 3rd fill, the weight started dropping off (about 10 lbs a month).

Oh and I wish I had read my post op instructions a little better. I thought it said 4 weeks of Clear liquids + Protein shakes. I thought I was going to starve, so I added Tomato Soup to my diet but thought I was cheating. Never told my doc. Just a few months ago, I found my post op instructions. They say liquids only for 4 weeks - including pudding, yogurt, cream Soups, etc. That whole time I thought I was gunna hurt myself with the Tomato Soup and felt guilty. And I could've had yogurt and pudding!!! Thats what I get for not reading carefully....

Good luck with your surgery! It was the best thing I ever did

Marci

I had minimal pain, however my mouth was so dry for two days and they wouldn't let me drink until I had the swallow test the next morning. I hear all these people say the pain was so severe but I did not experience that at all I was up and about the next day. I did get hungry but I just ate what I was able to liqueds, mushies, and than healthy food. Good luck, you will be fine!

I was banded 1/30/12 and only has the gas pains for 3 days. Gas-X was a blessing. I would rather do this than Hugo to the dentist. Just now at 51/2 weeks and starting tomfeel hungry but not gaining and still losing a little.maybe time for a fill next week.

Good luck and it is so worth it!

I wish I had known the surgery and recovery would be easy for me (they were!) and that although the first year was a crazy struggle of adjustment...at this point I hardly even think about it because its just a lifestyle and that I would be wearing a size six and that my weight never changes at all! I wish I could have known so I wouldnt have worried so much that it would be the best money I ever spent! I used Mederma on the scars and they are barely visible.