Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Those Of You Who Say You Don't Have Time For Exercise...

I agree, you should agree to disagree. But I would shriek that exercise does help with loose skin to an extent. It's amazing that you lost 100 lbs with no exercise. You must of had amazing discipline in your diet. Because one of the main reasons I work out is so I can increase my caloric intake and increase my metabolism. Everyone is different though. Exercise allows you to be a little more free with your diet, with the understanding of calories in, calories out.

I agree, you should agree to disagree. But I do think that exercise does help with loose skin to an extent. It's amazing that you lost 100 lbs with no exercise. You must of had amazing discipline in your diet. Because one of the main reasons I work out is so I can increase my caloric intake and increase my metabolism. Everyone is different though. Exercise allows you to be a little more free with your diet, with the understanding of calories in, calories out.

I think it is wrong to try to push your beliefs on everyone. Okay you posted a “little rant” and everyone understood your point, but enough already. You are not gonna change peoples minds. We are all adults here and no reason to be ugly.

Hummingbird needs no defense but I have to say for 2½ years I have been reading her posts and she knows her stuff. She has helped people, been encouraging, honest and tells you like it is. You could learn something from her.

I am a person who has to work out but I have banded friends who lost 100 lbs in 6 months no work outs. Everyone is different. Let it go.

Cheri

I wish Violet would stick a sock in her mouth already. Who are you to tell Hummingbird that she lost weight in a very unhealthy way because she didn't exercise??? Are you a doctor? You're simply stating your opinion and not facts! Time to shut your pie hole!

...and I think I should try to get people to do it the RIGHT way...not the wrong way...so whoever reads this...please think about whats right and whats healthy.

Oops there's the problem! We all have Surgeons!

Cheri

It's amazing that you lost 100 lbs with no exercise. You must of had amazing discipline in your diet. Because one of the main reasons I work out is so I can increase my caloric intake and increase my metabolism. Everyone is different though. Exercise allows you to be a little more free with your diet, with the understanding of calories in, calories out.

Thank you. No, I don't have much discipline in my diet like you might think. I don't diet. I don't count calories or track anything. I have just learned how to use my band properly and try to keep in mind some basics.

Thanks Cheri :)

I must admit i wasnt expecting this thread to develop the way it has. I do agree with cheri humming birds posts have been supportive and helpful to a lot of people here.

We have to accept that people will deal with being banded in different ways, some will manage to eat smaller portions and lose weight some wont, some will need to exercise some wont.

Initially I saw this thread as some what motivational, trying to get those struggling to lose the weight moving around and doing something positive to try and get the weight off, but it sort of developed into more of a crusade. Ultimately its a personal choice how we deal with losing weight and I respect everyone for their differences.

I do support trying exercise for those struggling to lose weight, and i know that i would not have done so well without it, but equally if you can lose weight and not have to spend hours doing endless reps then all cudos to you too. I was soo unfit when i started this journey i HAD to exercise, did i want to .. well no not really, but it worked for me and that is where i coming from, if what you are doing works then do it .. simple, if it doesnt work then change something .....

I definitely agree to disagree! That's for sure! I have a right to rant if I want to...just like everybody else on here..just like Hummingbird has her opinions...

And one more thing, Cheri...I'm not "pushing my beliefs" on anyone..I'm simply speaking to anyone who wants to listen..Is that okay? Isn't that what people do all day long on this forum?

Like I've already said in another post...People will do what they want to do..

How dare all of you tell me to "shut my pie hole" I didn't have much more to say anyway but if I did, I'm allowed to say it! I never told anyone to shut up- just because I didn't like what they have to say...if you don't like what you are reading...stop reading it!

And Hummingbird, I apologize for letting this get out of hand. I admit I was rude to you and shouldn't have been...it is great that you lost the weight. Congratulations on your weight loss.

Since you mentioned me by name I will reply. You have to admit IT SEEMED you were trying to tell everyone that your way was the right way and if we did not do it that way we were full of excuses. In my opinion a rant is one post not post after post SEEMING TO attack people who do not see things your way. But I think it was very nice that you agree to disagree and said your were sorry to Hummingbird.

And I too am sorry if I came on too strong and seemed rude, sometimes the written word sounds different to everyone who reads it as for the tone. These boards are for everyone and their opinion in my opinion.

Cheri

Amen Violet! :) Well said.

Wow! I'm coming into this a bit late, but I have not been so compelled to post on this board in quite some time. The OP came across as very condescending.

I'm very happy for you that you are succeeding in your journey and that you've found a method to make your weight loss work for you.

HOWEVER - you cannot claim to know everything about everyone and their lives. Is there a 'right' and 'wrong' way to lose weight? I think that we should all be encouraging one another, instead of discounting the efforts that people are making.

I know I certainly don't have an hour per day to exercise. I fit it in when I can, and I make sure that I get at least a few minutes of intense exercise a day. But an hour? Are you kidding me?

I work. Full time. Plus overtime.

I am a graduate student. Time and a half.

I volunteer. 5 hours per week.

I tutor fellow students. Twice a week, one hour each time.

I raise two children. On. My. Own.

Let's not forget the whole cooking/cleaning/driving kids to activities, etc...

Tell me, Ms. I-know-your-life-better-than-you-do, when, exactly, I am supposed to fit in an hour of exercise a day? I'm a bit offended by the first post, I won't lie. I fit in what I can. I have a fitbit, and I'm excited when I get in over 3 miles on a workday. I do approximately 20 fights of stairs a day. But you think that I need to deprive myself of another hour of sleep so that I can meet your idea of what is an acceptable amount of exercise? I only sleep 5 to 6 hours each night as it is.

No one is arguing that it's bad to exercise - on the contrary, most of us know that we should get more in. But at what expense? If the step that I'm able to take now is to no longer binge at night when I'm studying, and eating smaller portion sizes, shouldn't that be encouraged, rather than me being slapped in the face with, "you're not doing enough."??? Who do you think you are to pass judgment on other people?

I call BS! I do MORE than enough, and I guarantee I do more in a single day than many people do in a week. I would love to see the look on your face after only living ONE WEEK in my life. Oh, that's right, you'd probably be face ground on the sidewalk before you even got into the office on Thursday.

Wow really? Look I know you may have a busy life but you have no right to try and talk to me like that...I may have come across a little strong but all I was doing was trying to motivate people ...and not like I need to explain myself but I already said I was angry when I first wrote it..because everyone around me makes excuses all day long...not necessarily pertaining to YOU ..and I was trying to talk to people who actually want to exercise..if you don't want to that is your prerogative...and you really think that one hour is a lot? That's pretty laughable...this is exactly what I was talking about..I bust my ass with my busy life AND I work in an hour a day...if its too much for you...nobody said you had to..its still excuses though...What about right now? You seem to have had a good amount of time to type that out huh? And as a matter of fact after I get everything done in my day I AM tired and ready to fall down...you have to WORK to get what you WANT...you can't handle it...I guess you don't want it bad enough. But I really have no desire to debate this with you ..you don't like it...I don't care...

I wonder if maybe you're not good with reading. I'll summarize and simplify for you.

#1 - my tone is exactly the tone you took with everyone else on this board, and if you can dish it, you can take it.

#2 - no one said exercise is bad, as I stated in my first post. I also said I exercise when I can. If that means a couple of hours on the weekends, and taking the stairs instead of an elevator, it works for me.

#3 - I don't care how angry you are about whatever in your life, you have no right to be judgmental and condescending to others on this board. Don't take out your personal emotional issues out on people who are here to support one another.

#4 - We should *ENCOURAGE* one another for the efforts that we are making to live healthier lives, not discount the efforts others are making because they don't meet YOUR standard. Who are you to judge others?

#5 - An hour is a LOT of time. If you don't think so, then you obviously have tons of extra time to devote to whatever.

#6 - I type 103 wpm. If it takes you longer to type, that's not my problem.

Hell, all I was gonna add was that the best way for ME to stay motivated is to keep changing it up. Don't get burned out with the same 'ol workout. Change it up, challenge yourself. For me it's a little weights, a little Zumba, a little step, even a walk around the block. Whenever, however....JUST MOVE IT!