Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ugh, I Cheated Big Last Night... First Time Since The Pre-Op Diet!

I am four weeks post surgery today. I have had one small fill, and feel no restriction at all unless I eat too fast. I have been really good about not overeating... until last night. I ate twice as much as I should have and it showed on the scale this morning. I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to get back on track today. I have a girl's weekend this weekend, which usually involves a lot of wine and that is my biggest downfall. A couple of glasses of wine and my brain ceases to function as far as food is concerned.

Has anybody got any helpful tricks for getting back in the saddle once you've fallen out?? Plus, how do you act normal around a bunch of friends, none of whom know you've had WLS??

That's a tough one, being around people who don't know you've had wls. Try not to drink too much. Like you said, your brain will cease to function. I've eaten too fast and too much when out with friends and felt so sick afterwards I couldn't enjoy the evening. You don't want that to happen.

How do you jump back on? You simply jump back on. Dont make it seem harder than it is. You begin with your next food choice...making it a wise choice and in line with the program.

I, too, lose my brain when I drink. So, I have to give it up between now (pre-surgery) and several months after. I told myself if I couldnt give it up prior to surgery I have no business having the surgery. Good luck.

It happens to all of us, you just have to accept the fact that it happened, and take control back as soon as possible. One bad meal is exactly that - one bad meal. Don't make it two!

I find the best way to get back on the wagon is exercize. It's always hardest to take that first step, but once you do, you won't want to ruin all the work you just did with bad food choices.

I have not hid the fact that I have a band from anyone. For me, it makes it easier to justify why I'm doing what I'm doing, and most people accept it and leave it alone. I grew up in an Italian family, where life is centered on food. If you don't have 3 servings, then you're insulting the chef/cook. By telling them, I've found they don't push food on me like they used to, and are very supportive and encouraging, even those that disagree with my choice. You know your friends best, so only you can make the decision of whether to tell them or not. The other thing it does is keep me accountable. If I had surgery and don't lose the weight, then what would people think?

Just jump back in! In the past it would, for me, be, I messed up, ate something I shouldn't have, the day is ruined mine as well finish the day off eating like crap and start tomorrow. Now it's, ok you had a treat, back to the program. Gotta get your mind around that.

One bad meal is NOT going to ruin all your progress. You may initially see the scale go up a little, but it won't be a true gain.

As for the alcohol, I hate the taste, so I can't help you on that, sorry.

We've all been there, many will admit it too. Just make sure your next meal is a good choice! I feel so guilty when I eat something bad that I'm to the point now that I don't eat it because I don't want to get emotional (for example, crying in the bathroom with my cat on my lap in my own home because I had chips and dip I made for my dbf lol).

In regards to drinking you're going to tolerate alcohol a lot differently than you were before. I was out on Friday night with two girlfriends (both of who know I have the band) I hardly ate anything for dinner (and was scolded by one friend, but I was full) then after 3 drinks and acting way too drunk for my liking my friends made me eat half a tuna sandwich (I don't recall this but I was told that today lol) so my suggestion to you is go easy on the wine. Or do half wine and half Water. Or have a glass of wine then a glass of Water. If this is your first time with alcohol since being banded only try one glass of wine at home or at a safe place. Also be honest with your friends. I didn't tell my friends until I had a possible complication and they are the most supportive people out of everyone. I mean everyone (well with the exception of everyone on here) it's not this bad thing that you have the band, you're not a failure, it's not an easy way out, it's not a quick fix. Be proud that you went through the surgery, most people couldn't handle what we've been through! And if they judge you in a negative way then they aren't your friends. :)

Hi Toddy,

I also had surgery on January 31st. My first fill is scheduled for next week. I don't have any restriction which I hate. We had a family emergency two weeks ago and I had to go out of town for 4 days - eating every meal out. I gained back 4 lbs. that I had lost since surgery. That was very upsetting and I have been beating myself up over it and finally chose to get back on track also. I completely judge myself and am ashamed that I have only lost 3 lbs. since surgery 4 weeks ago - it could have been 7 lbs.!!! Anyway, I rarely ever drink, so can't help you there. I have kept my surgery a complete secret from everyone too, except my daughter and out of state cousin. I took 4 "vacation" days off work - no one has a clue, not even my best friend, not my father, not my brothers. I have always eaten soooooo slow, so the family and friends are used to it. Guess they will be grateful when we all finish eating at the same time and probably won't notice I didn't eat hardly anything - once I start feeling restriction. :) So, to answer your question (how do you act normal around a bunch of friends, none of whom know you've had WLS??) - I started talking about trying to lose weight a few months ago when I stopped drinking sweet tea, diet coke, and started working on the pre-op plan to lose 20 lbs. So, everyone just thinks I am on a diet. The good/bad thing about lap bands is that the weight loss is gradual, so being on a diet along with the 1-2 lbs. we are supposed to lose each week will make sense to everyone else. I have already started talking about Portion Control as well, in preparation for outings in which I only eat a small amount. Perhaps you can do the same and also mention you are trying to eat slower so you can feel full faster. I just can't wait for my first fill so I can walk the walk and talk the talk. Good luck and keep in touch - we are lap band buddies! We can help hold each other accountable and support each other since we are in this "secret" together from Day One! :)

If you dont want your friends to know about the WLS, just be on a 'diet' and have wine spritzers ( or whatever u call them in the US) red or white wine mixed with soda Water just let it stand for a short while to let the bubbles die down or add some ice which will kill the fizzy if u cant drink gassy drinks. The bandwagon is a slow moving truck so just jump back on it .. Have a great weekend !

I was advised by my surgeon NOT to drink alcohol because it's just empty calories, and I'd rather spend them on food with nutritional value. I hardly drink anyway, but if you MUST have some wine, limit yourself to one good-size glass and just sip it for as long as you can make it last. Drink red, which doesn't lose its taste when it gets to room temperature. If your friends comment, just say that you don't like the way you feel when you drink too much or too fast. And that's probably the truth.

hey i only told my best friend and my immediate family consisting on my father, mother and sister...it helps having my best friend know so she can conver for me. if we go out for a drink at a party she drinks for me or helps me out by saying we are not drinking or something creative, i totaly trust her so it really helps. if you have one glass of wine try to make it last take sips on it throughout the evening. or if you take shots...well don't unless you can stop at two.