Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting My Band In A Couple Of Weeks I'm Super Nervous!

Hello all,

I'm 5'3" and 191 pounds my friends are all opposed to me getting the lap band because they feel that I am too young at 24 to be getting WLS. I am also a little worried about band slippage or worse erosion! I'm still trying to figure out if the good will out weigh the risks associated with the band. I want to loose the weight and I'm ready to get healthy but I'm just scared about what might happen to me and how loved ones will respond to me getting the Lap band... Please reply with any suggestions or comments. Thank you

Well if you are too young at 24 than I am way to young at 19! I was banded on Monday and I feel great! No worries! : )

I don't think 24 is too young to be doing this. I'm only 27 myself. The way I look at it, I'd rather do this now before I get sick with all the comorbidities that come along with obesity. So far as slippage and erosion go, I have to admit that I'm worried about them too, but slippage is fairly rare, and erosion even more so. We see a lot of it on here because this is where people tend to come to ask about their problems and look for people who can relate to what they're going through. Your loved ones should be supportive of your decision, no matter what it is, and remember that it's up to you who you choose to tell about the surgery. A lot of people here decide not to tell anyone but the people who will be helping them immediately post-op.

The reason I decided to start the process is that I realized that if I didn't do something about my weight, I would die early. Morbid obesity, heart problems, and early death due to those things run in my family. My dad died at 52 after three heart attacks - he was about 700 pounds. I saw that nothing I had done in the past had worked long term, and the thought of having my child watch me die the way my dad did just horrified me. So I started the process with a reputable surgeon with a comprehensive support program. I'm still pre-op, in my insurance company's required supervised diet plan, but I know that this is the right thing for me to do. It's either risk the complications associated with this surgery (which is the safest of the available weight loss surgeries) or risk not making it to 50. I want to live long enough for my children to get sick of me! :)

Good luck in your decision.

I'm 16 :) I was banded in September last year :) I have no regrets. I thinks it's the best thing for me, I have struggled since I was a baby with my weight. Have always been huge! Now I'm loosing at a nice steady pace. It's sad that ur friends are against it, but its really not there choice, it's your life, your the one making the choice to change the way you live, your choosing to become healthier. I get the "your taking the easy way out" but I'm not, I just am making my meals smaller like every body kept telling me to do! Don't you hate that? They always say "don't eat so much" now that u can't it's "you took the easy way!" it's mind boggling. Anyways, all it does is restrict the intake of food u have, you still have to work up a sweat to get the fat burning! It's hard, but the lapband is a great tool. Like insaid, I'm 16, I have no regrets. I needed help, lapband offered me a chance of life when I needed it most. I have since lost 30 kgs and am back in school. Im still huge, but I now have life. I went from a tight 28 to a size 20-22 pants it's the best feeling ever. I have friends who are against, but over time, they see the happier side of you, the more confident side. :)

I'm 30 years old and have been struggling with my weight for years. I wish I had this surgery when I was 24. I was not far from your weight when I was banded back in July. Now, I am looking the way I want to and know that I have the tools (not just the band, but the nutritional information, the motivation) to get to a healthier weight. It is amazing what a difference 40 pounds will make. If your friends are really friends, they will voice their opposition and their reasoning for their opinion, but will ultimately support your decision because they love you. Best of luck.

my only regret with lapand after 100+ pounds lost in less than 8 months is that i did not do it YEARS ago (i'm 38). I don't think you're too young. You have to live with it - so only you can decide what is best for you. BEST OF LUCK TO US ALL ON OUR JOURNEYS!!wink.png

If you had a knee that needed replacement would they tell you should'nt get it replaced because you ae to young? Or needed heart surgery or a new kidney? By your age I had lost and regained 100 pounds in two major get fit initiatives! At 30 I again lost over 100 pounds and regained. Part of my problem was feeling like I had to be all or nothing. Never ever eating anything with cheese or dessert or crackers. After a year or so I would get tired/depressed of never eating food that was fun. This would lead to my slowly reintroducing bad eating habbits and then making them an everyday activity.

My surgeon required eating therapy sessions as part of the band process and it was so important to me. I had to develop a new relationship with food. I eat very conservatively 95% of the time and can have treats (which for me are crackers, Cookies, bread) on rare occations. If your surgeon does not require mindful eating sessions with a psychologist go to one on your own. Even if your insurance does not cover it. The band is not a magic fix and there are many foods it will never stop you from eating anything that becomes liquid in your mouth or mush ( cake, candy, ice cream, crackers). It took me 6 months to get restriction so this will be a will power diet at the start and you need to be in a good place mentally to be successful.

Sorry, back to your question. This is about your health. If you insurance will cover it that is your answer. At 39 I had a stroke. To deal with a knee issue I had been swimming daily for 9 months and had lost about 30 pounds but still weighed 335. The doctors really did not have an answer why I had the blood clot but what they did say was it could have been becaused by my weight.

Do your research and be proactive in explaining the band to them. Most people really only know gastric bypass which is very different. Also TV programs love to show people who've had weight loss surgery who have regained the weight or have terrible eating problems (I saw someone who was banded who supposedly was healed from surgery who could only eat 2 oz of yogurt for a meal. Which if true they were way way way to tight.)

I'm 20 and I am getting banded on March 14th. I receive negative feedback from my friends and family as well. You just have to imagine yourself in a couple of years and know that it will all be worth it down the road. It is your body and you have to live with it. The negative reactions of others should be a push to succeed even further with the surgery. Years down the road you and others will not have any remorse for your decision. You're taking steps in the right direction with your health and I applaud you for that. Being young and overweight is tough. I can definitely relate.

Yeah friends and family didn't stop me I had to make this decision on my own. Sooo glad I did it. Read lots ask questions. I wish I had done this younger. That's me!

Thank you so much to everyone who commented on my post my surgery is on March 20th and I am sooo excited!!!