Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Should I Expect This Pain To Last?

I only just had surgery monday, but I was just wondering how long you guys had pain at your incisions and port site?

Kassie, I had surgery last friday, and last night was the first night I slept great, with no pain at the port. And I have been on Ibruprofen for the last 2 days. It does get better. Day 3 was my worst day. The gas in my chest is pretty much gone now also. Hang in there, it will go away as your body heals.

Awesome, thanks! I got prescription pain meds so hopefully those will start helping soon!

I had pain for about 3-4 days. The pain at the port site lasted a little longer because it is a larger incision and they do some tunneling. After a week -10 days, you should have no pain at all.

Great, thanks : )

I'm 4wks post-op today...and I agree with all that the others have said. I do still have little twinges of pain at my incision sites. My doctor said its normal though because its not just skin healing...its muscle too. Hang in there...blessings to you!

I was really painful the first day, day 2 was so much better, still painful, but I'd rate it out of 10, like a 4 or 5 (I think. Surgery was over a year ago), day 3 was pretty good, maybe a 2 or so. One dose of the vicodan got me through, with maybe one other dose of tyelenol. I mainly took the vicodan on day 3 because I got my period and my cramps on day one had been really bad. After that I was just sore.

i'm 7 days out and today is the best day by far! i haven't had to take anything for pain.. i did sneeze today and that was pretty discomforting!!!

I had lap band last Friday and yesterday they had to remove a air bubble from band which I hear is pretty normal..but it definitely made my port site really sore today so it looks like we are in the same boat...I bet we will be ok soon...we just have to keep our eyes on the finish line...lol...ouch

I had my surgery a little over a year now.( december 2010) and have lost 102 pounds. i remember that post op pain, it lasted me about 1 week an 1/2. Just take pain meds as prescribed and lots of antacids ( tums, tums tums)1 Good luck. It is a long battle,but well worth it, pain and all!

i'm 7 days out and today is the best day by far! i haven't had to take anything for pain.. i did sneeze today and that was pretty discomforting!!!

good luck on your band journey!

I had lap band last Friday and yesterday they had to remove a air bubble from band which I hear is pretty normal..but it definitely made my port site really sore today so it looks like we are in the same boat...I bet we will be ok soon...we just have to keep our eyes on the finish line...lol...ouch

Trust me! It will get better. Just allow your body to heal and try not to over eat! Follow the diet plan.

My incisions and my port weren't painful, it was mostly the gas pains in my shoulder that caused me to take pain meds. The last bad day I had was one week to the day after my surgery.

I noticed you said you were taking ibuprofen. I'm not sure why, but I was told absolutely no ibuprofen or aspirin ever. I was much more concerned about living a life without ibuprofen and BC than I was about giving up my Diet Pepsi, Pasta, rice, et, cetera!!

My incisions and my port weren't painful' date=' it was mostly the gas pains in my shoulder that caused me to take pain meds. The last bad day I had was one week to the day after my surgery.

I noticed you said you were taking ibuprofen. I'm not sure why, but I was told absolutely no ibuprofen or aspirin ever. I was much more concerned about living a life without ibuprofen and BC than I was about giving up my Diet Pepsi, Pasta, rice, et, cetera!![/quote']

I don't think I said I was taking that? I am taking the hydros that my doctor gave me.

I came on the site tonight looking for some promising answers, and I am so glad that I found this Forum! I had my surgery on Tuesday afternoon, and the people in my doctor's office told me that I would be ready to go back to work by Friday. I have been feeling like a total wimp, because there is no way I am heading back to work feeling like this. Now, after reading the comments, I feel like I may be feeling a more normal level of pain. There is bruising at my incision ports, and that is tender. I haven't been able to sleep in my own bed lying flat since I came home though, and I am a little concerned about that. I have the pain in my shoulder and gas, but my scariest feeling is not being able to take any deep breaths. It is really hard to breathe. Has anyone else experienced that? Thanks.