Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Fill Or Not To Fill...that Is The Question???

OK, so I was banded on 11/22...and have lost 37lbs since that date as I did not have to do a pre-surgery diet. I have had 3 follow-up appointments with my surgeon, and since I have been steadily losing the weight, I haven't received a fill. I am averaging a little over 3 lbs of weight loss a week.

Currently, I can eat any and everything without it getting stuck or vomiting (just force myself not too), rarely have a feeling of fullness when eating (but I stop myself) and I am usually hungry (but don't allow myself to eat outside of regular eating times). On one hand, I would like a fill, so the band could start doing some work and not just me; however, on the other hand, I do like the option of being able to eat anything I like (bread, pastas, rice, steak, etc) with it going down and staying down.

Should I wait to get a fill when I stop losing weight or should I go ahead and bite the bullet and get it next week at my appointment? Not even sure if I have an option or not, can I even get a fill and I am still losing weight? Your thoughts are appreciated!!!

It' ultimately up to your Dr. If you need a fill o not. The band is meant toe adjusted based up your progress, and a few other factors. If you are progressing, why would you need a fill? Perhaps to control hunger?

I was in the same boat as you were Ashleigh, I had lost 23 lbs before surgery and had rescheduled surgery till january, was reweighed and lost another 4. It was totally up to me whether I get lapband or not, but dr did say to me you have lost weight before did it stay off. so I went ahead and got lapband. now loosing 33 lbs I went to the md for post op he was very pleased with weight loss, I asked him if I even needed a fill and he said that it was again up to me, and at the rate I was going I might need one, so if you are happy with what you are doing, and feel truly that you can continue the path you are on, and can stay on it, then postpone surgery for a month or two.

I was in the same boat as you were Ashleigh, I had lost 23 lbs before surgery and had rescheduled surgery till january, was reweighed and lost another 4. It was totally up to me whether I get lapband or not, but dr did say to me you have lost weight before did it stay off. so I went ahead and got lapband. now loosing 33 lbs I went to the md for post op he was very pleased with weight loss, I asked him if I even needed a fill and he said that it was again up to me, and at the rate I was going I might need one, so if you are happy with what you are doing, and feel truly that you can continue the path you are on, and can stay on it, then postpone surgery for a month or two.

I had the surgery already..11/22...just no fills as of yet.

hey mine was 1/24!

I know that there are folks on here that have never had a fill. Your lapband is working,whether you realize it or not). You are doing a great job, if you and your surgeon feel that you don't need a fill yet, don't get one. My son has had only 3 since August, and I have only 5 cc in my band right now. Usually your results are from excessively heavy people with more to loose than you, so be proud and keep up your good progess. If you stop loosing, then get a fill! Good luck Karen

I was losing fast, and pretty consistently, but when the time came to get that first fill, I did it, because even though I was doing it on my own a lot, I wanted the band to take that hunger edge off, to make it easier for me to stop eating. That's what it's there for. The mental side of it, the will-power, it's awesome, but it can be tiring, and that's why so many people eventually fall off the wagon.

I have no restriction right now. My band is leaking and I have a small slip and I can eat whatever I want. I maintain my weight with careful eating and exercise, but I miss my band just stopping me from eating too much, or even wanting to eat too much. When I was well restricted, I was not even hungry. I didn't think about food.

If you're worried about getting stuck, ask your surgeon to be conservative with your fills. Take it slow. And adjust to it slowly. And can I say, your fear about not being able to eat bread and Pasta etc? When you're well restricted, you may not be able to eat those things, but you really don't miss them simply because you don't need them to make you full. Well, I didn't miss them anyway. :)

I cannot wait for my first fill. I have lost 26 lbs since Dec 12th and at this point I can eat anything. I can't eat as much as I used to so I am bouncing back and forth on the scale. I feel I need a fill to help with the "grazing" if I can just stay not hungry enough then I won't think so much about food. I envy you your will power.

I am scheduled for a fill on tuesday and I am not sure if I want one. 2 weeks ago, I had,an appt with doctor and he said that I have lost 54% of my excess weight and I am ahead of the curve and doing great! . I am now 159 and fitting in size 8, however, I have been experiencing stuck feelings and shoulder pain when I eat in the a.m. but, I have been grazing alot,lately and been feeling hungry. I have also hit plateau and have not lost any weight since Oct. I so want to lost 20 more lbs but, I am afraid I might be too tight and don't want to experience any negative effects. So, far I am 9 months,out and have not vomited or experienced anything bad. What do u think?

I am scheduled for a fill on tuesday and I am not sure if I want one. 2 weeks ago, I had,an appt with doctor and he said that I have lost 54% of my excess weight and I am ahead of the curve and doing great! . I am now 159 and fitting in size 8, however, I have been experiencing stuck feelings and shoulder pain when I eat in the a.m. but, I have been grazing alot,lately and been feeling hungry. I have also hit plateau and have not lost any weight since Oct. I so want to lost 20 more lbs but, I am afraid I might be too tight and don't want to experience any negative effects. So, far I am 9 months,out and have not vomited or experienced anything bad. What do u think?

A lot of people say they are tight in the morning. I am not sure really if I am or not because before Breakfast I always a huge cup of hot tea which may loosen it a bit. I would say if you haven't lost since Oct.and you are more hungry now, I would get a fill. Do you keep track of your calories? Maybe you are consuming more than you think. If you end up being too tight, you can always go back in to have some taken out. That's what happened to me this week!

I've been there - not sure if I had another fill, I'd be too tight. But also finding myself getting hungry more quickly.

You're probably close to the green zone, so I'd say get a small fill (0.25cc or less) and see how you go. Make sure you nurse that band those first few days after a fill too - slow and steady so the swelling from the fill can go down.

I lost most of my weight prior to getting to the green zone, but getting there once I had lost the weight made maintaining so much easier. Plus it got rid of that last 10lbs I was struggling with.

I am at restriction and don't vomit. People who vomit after eating are too tight. There are those on this site who keep their bands wayyyy to tight and thus have a lot of trouble eating things like bread, rice, Pasta. I CAN eat all those things but choose not to make them a regular part of my eating habits.

I have gone months without vomiting, then forget myself and have too much food way too fast, and I get stuck and it all comes back out. I disagree that I was too tight at the time. Sometimes bad eating habits can cause vomiting, not just tightness. I got stuck after my 3rd fill, when I only had 4cc in my band. I was not too tight then, I can assure you.

Thanks for your replies...I keep my calories at 1000 a day, so this week I actually raised it to 1200 and 1400 cal. Funny thing is I lost 2 lbs just in a few days. I think, I may hold off from the fill and give me another month to lose. If I don't lost 6 to 8 lbs in a month then I will schedule for a fill. I just feel I should really try exercise more, keep up with my Water and up my Protein. since the surgery I have not eaten any bread, Pasta, rice or carbonated drinks. I eliminated them and it is going on 9 months now. I don't miss them. wish me luck! I am going to step it up and try to lose this last,20 lbs.

I was banded on 12/29 and lost 10lbs the first week.I've lost 9 more lbs in the last six weeks by self control & stopping when I've hit a cup of food not when I feel anywhere "full". I've seen my Dr three times & said I'll see you in another six weeks, I think he's happy with the loss but I too would rather have the band step it up and keep me full and not thinking about food for 3-4 hours. I asked the nurse how much fill was in me from the surgery and she said 3cc. I know that I cannot eat too fast or swallow too large an item or it will cause me issues. As far as eating any, I've had no problems. I do eat more soft foods than what I should eat-yogurt, cottage cheese, and Soup.

I read what others eat & I seem to eat much more but I still stay between 700-1000 calories per day. I guess I'll see how the next six weeks go.