Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just had to post. I was banded on November 14, 2011. So my first fill was 4 weeks out. I got 1 cc which brought me to 2.4cc total. It was a piece of cake. Everything went fine. I got my 2nd fill 4 weeks after that. I got 1.5cc which brought me to 3.9cc total. I was sick for 2 days -- lots of nauseau, chills, very tired. I was still able to tolerate liquids and after 2 days all was well and back to a regular diet. Then 4 weeks later, my 3rd fill. OMG!!!! I got 1cc which brought me to 4.9cc total. When I drank the Water in the doctor's office, I was fine. No problem. Then 2 hours later I started getting nauseated and cold. I thought ok -- nothing -- this is going to pass in 2 days (like last time). But an hour later all went down hill. I started spitting up this white foam. I couldn't drink Water or keep my own saliva down. The doctor's office was closed and silly me didn't want to go to the ER. So I decided to tough it out til the next day when I could see the doc. It was the longest night of my life. I spit up this foam every 20 - 30 minutes all night. And not just a little spit up. A lot! I couldn't lay down I was in pain. I couldn't sit up. I couldn't stand. I couldn't kill over. It was horrible. I was gassy, nauseated, and spitting up. A hot, disgusting mess!!!! Thank God for these message boards (that I read all night) because it was on these boards that I realized I was too tight and had the foamies (the spitting up of my own saliva mixed with air) These boards helped me the realize I wasn't going to die but I was going to be very uncomfortable until I got an unfill. As I saw the sun come up, I got dressed (well actually I went in my pajamas -- I didn't care). I was at the doc office at 7 am when it opened. I was so miserable .. I didn't care what they did as long as they fixed me. Unfill it, take it out, shoot me, whatever -- just make me feel better. So they took out the 1cc I had gotten the day before. And the x-ray still showed nothing was going through the pouch. So they took out another 1.5cc and finally they could see something passing through my pouch. But I was still pretty swollen and tight. Only a little was going through. My stomach was so irritated and swollen. So now I am back at 2.4cc where I was after my 1st fill. OMG .. I never want to experience that again. So for my next fill that is going to be in 4 weeks ... I don't care what anyone says it will only be .3cc - .4cc at a time. I am just one of those banded with a sensitive stomach and after each fill ... I get sick due to my stomach swelling. You would have thought the 1st thing I would want to do after the unfill was eat. But it's been 3 days and I've been on all liquids. I could care less if I never see food every again. I had natural child birth .... and having a band too tight surpassed that in terms of being miserable. But anyway, later today I am suppose to try soft food. I don't want to. I would rather stay on liquids .. Not sure if I'm ready but I know I need to get back to eating to nourish my body properly. Wish me luck ... Thanks for listening.

I have lost 34 pounds since the surgery and I have another 26 to go before I reach my goal.

I have been there,too! Glad that you were smart enoughtto know that you were overfilled. Good for you, now take cae, my doc recommends that I stay on Clear Liquids for 2 days and then full liquids for 2 days because you are swollen. That might be a good idea for you, too! Good luck, Karen

I'm getting my first unfill tomorrow myself. I at a 7.2 in a 10cc band and it's just way too tight! My issue has been going on since Monday. That day, like you, I was totally fine Water went down even had clear broth go down just fine. Then the next day woke up and was feeling extremely uncomfortable and tight couldnt drink coffee, water anything. I told myself just give it a couple of days maybe your still swollen. Well today is Thursday and I'm continuing to spit up everything I try to get down, I can't take it. I am so thirsty it's unreal!

Wow, extreme symptoms, definitely too tight! Glad you are able to feel better. I have had 2 defills in the past but not with those symptoms, just PBd constantly on solid foods. I'm sitting here today after a fill and right now, it's tight! I seem to have issues with dairy (trying to drink a glass of milk) at times...

Yes, extreme indeed. I couldn't keep my own saliva down. I think that was the worst. If it was just or even if it was just Water maybe my night wouldn't have been soooo horrible. But OMG -- you can't stop your body from producting spit. LOL, I was getting creative to make it through the night. Trying to spit out any saliva before it escaped down my throat. Of course, saliva is not only produce in your mouth so my attempts for futile and the foam just kept coming. and coming ... Yes, I'm glad that I had an unfill. I'm not worried about weight gain ... That's the least of my worries. Just happy to be healthy, pain, and foam free. Honestly, after the horrible experience -- these 3 days of liquids only have been the equivalent of eating a steak dinner to me .. I'm happy as can be and hope I never have the experience of an overfill again ....

I 2 been there done that so I know your pain but now with my unfill and a half cc fill I am starving I can eat anything and want to according to the scale I have gained 3 pounds and I havent went over a 1000 cal all week so now I want another fill but I know my doc. wont give me another one yet so I will pray and drink lots of Water till then I guess

This is mwe right now. Had a 1.25ml fill on Thursday, was fine, drank plenty had some Soup to eat. Then yesterday I managed some soup. Then BAM nothing would go through. No Water, no saliva, nothing. I have been vomiting for near on 18 hrs now and Im in agony. I have phone my docs, but I was a private overseas patient and its unlikely the NHS will treat me. I will have to probably just see it through or get super urgent where the NHS must treat me. Its a farce in this country.

I have been suffering for months since my last fill. The band was too tight and I was throwing up almost daily from food getting stuck. Why I didn't go back to the doctor immediately is beyond me. My daughter was having the same problem went to Doc had a little Fluid taken out and was fine. I guess at this point I was afraid what the dotor would tell me since the visit before he had told me my pouch was slightly stretched. Well I just couldn't take it anymore. Went to doctors this past Monday when they found out I was throwing up so often they took all the fluid out of the band. They told me that my stomach was probably inflamed from this. I went back yesterday and went under the flouroscopy and thank God no inflamation, pouch was not stretched and band was find. They had taken 8 and 1/2 cc's out of band on Monday and he put 5 cc's back in and said this was the perfect amount. My question to him should have been why did I have 8 1/2 cc's in and now only 5 is perfect??? But I was so relieved that the band was fine that I just didn't say anything. I will definetly pay closer attention as to how many cc's are being put in the band from now on. I go to one of the top surgeons in the area and I just relyed on his "expertised" and that he new what he was doing. You have to ask QUESTIONS and find out what they are doing. They are not GOD they do make mistakes. I feel so much better now. I had been so depressed from not being able to eat almost anything and getting stuck so often that I was miserable. Learn from me the band being too tight is not the answer to think you are going to lose more weight faster.

Judy, how big is your band? I have a 10cc band and am at 5 now....if it's only 10 cc then 8.5 does seem like a lot. I'm glad you've found relief & hopefully this level will work for you!

I have a 10 cc band. I feel like a new person now I was so miserable I didn't realize how much it was affecting my life. My big concern now is now much restriction do I now actually have since I had 8 1/2 cc's in and now only 5. I don't understand how my doctor could say "oh its perfect now (with the 5cc's) when before he said it was perfect with 8 1/2 cc's. Even though I have insurance it still costs me about $300.00 out of pocket since Barnabas Hospital system is out of network for me. I work for Meridian Health Systems and I could go to one of our doctors but I hate to change doctors since I have heard so many horror stories of painfull band fills. Well I guess I will see this better work well because my husband has already said no more fills, I guess he was not happy with the cranky person I have been for the past few months. lol

I find it funny the doctor can say it's at a perfect level; he's not inside your body and doesn't know how you will do with this level! I would say go with it for a while, but if you feel you need a bit more don't hesitate to ask. You now know the feeling of being too tight so hopefully that will help you get to the right levels.

OMG-- so glad you guys have posted! Helped me decide my first unfill Tues! I'm 6 yrs out,only had 2 fills ever, was having band checked for broken tubing like I had previously-- thought while I was there- cost $250 to look t it under fluro-- I would have .3cc added--- NOPE! Going for $250 .3cc unfill ASAP. I have reluxed for a month, swollen, slimed more, PB often (which I don't do usually) lost 7# the hard way. It hurts, can't sleep even upright, horrific reflux- the money seems like a bargain to feel better and not risk slippage!! Thank you guys for posting your challenges- helped me decide!

OMG-- so glad you guys have posted! Helped me decide my first unfill Tues! I'm 6 yrs out' date='only had 2 fills ever, was having band checked for broken tubing like I had previously-- thought while I was there- cost 250 to look t it under fluro-- I would have .3cc added--- NOPE! Going for 250 .3cc unfill ASAP. I have reluxed for a month, swollen, slimed more, PB often (which I don't do usually) lost 7# the hard way. It hurts, can't sleep even upright, horrific reflux- the money seems like a bargain to feel better and not risk slippage!! Thank you guys for posting your challenges- helped me decide![/quote']

I was banded 1/ 2012 and after my 3rd fill I had reflux and lots of vomiting at night. I didn't want to risk slippage so I opted for a partial unfill. I have been able to eat whatever since then. Now I want another fill

Oh, well, I'm joining this Crowd!! :):) I had a fill on Tues. A wk ago! NEVER had this happen, but Wed. Threw up-and foamed like rabid dog. Th. Went to Protein Drinks and coffee only......Fri. Could do runny grits and mashed pots w shakes. Started bk on bp and other meds finally yesterday, but still can't eat anything else. So.................I guess I'm calling today and asking for .5 unfill. I could fight this, but from all your stories it's just not worth it, and there's no payoff, except negative payback. I went from 6cc to 8 in an 11cc band. Guess that was just too much. But at 6 I could eat anything! So I really don't want much taken out. Ugggggh!

Guess I should update this since my original posting. Well after my unfill, I did not gain any weight back. I actually lost. I have continued to get fills albeit it very slowly like .2 and .3 cc at a time. Sometimes, it's not that you are overfilled but that filling too aggressively causes the the stomach to become inflammed and this the tightening of the band. Yeah, you could fight through it but nothing good can come from it. Currently, I am back to the amount I had when they had to do the unfill and I am still able to eat everything and nothing gets stuck. So an unfill is not the end of the world. Just while you're unfilled be careful about what you eat and fill slowly. If you were getting 2 ccs at a time try .5 cc. I was getting 1 cc at a time and like I said now I only get .2 or .3. By the way, now I've lost over 80 pds and never plateaued and never got anything stuck in my band. And I'm still able to eat anything from pancakes to burgers but the band helps. When I feel that feeling strange feeling. It's not exactly like I'm full but it's a faint sign that I'm satisfied. I stop eating. And since the weight is off I must say Im less and less hungry. But that's just my update to my original post. Take car