Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Houston, Texas - Lap Band Questions

I'm new to this site, but have a few questions....

1. Who's the best doctor in the Houston area? Any recommendations? Likes, dislikes, etc....

2. Whats the average cost without insurance?

3. Whats the recovery time? I'm a Labor & Delivery nurse....when can I go back to work?

4. How painful are the refills?

5. What foods do you eventually have to give up?

6. I'd like to lose 110 pounds....is that feasible with the Lap Band, or should I get another procedure done instead?

7. Tell me the do's & don't's, the likes & dislikes, the good, the bad & the ugly.....I want your most honest opinion about this procedure, the benefits/drawbacks in your life & would you do this again???

Thanks!!!!

I would do again. Dec 22 band date and ive l lost 15 since surgery. You have to work harder with lapband and wt comes off slower i went to Dr balette in the woodlands he and his staff are great his cost is approx 12000 i have seen cost from insurance yet all fills cost around 2-3 hundred i self pay on these. I dont have any negs at this time. Everything has gone so well I did vomit first day home just the gas came up some pain on left side first three days easy to take care of with hot pack

Hi KristiRN,

I just wrote this big long reply only for my computer to shut down and make me start all over again....

I have only been banded for a couple of months so Im still learning about my band, but Ill answer the questions that I can. I'm from Australia so I dont know about Dr's in the US or the cost over their, sorry.

3. I was in hospital for one night for observation. I took 10 days off work even though i only arranged to take 3 days off. It took a week for me to be able to get out of bed by myself, and about 3 weeks to be able to sleep on my stomach again. I would take at least 10 days though everyones recovery time is different. I watched a few videos on youtube where people hadf surgery only hours before and were doing a video about their experience. Not me!!

4. The refills are not painful. It is just a needle. A pin prick. I little pinch and then its over. The first fill, though, involves the doctor taking out the air in your band before putting in the saline. When he took the air out of my band I thought I was going to be sick. But that only lasted a few seconds and it only happens with the first fill.

5. It is so important to eat a healthy diet with your band because your main goal is to lose weight ahealthy way, and if you arent going to make an effort to eat good food then dont bother. Some people do have restriction though and cannot eat bread, Pasta or meat. Everyone is different though. Its about finding your greenzone. The only thing that I cannot have anymore is soft drink (soda, fizzy drink). I used to drink at least 2 every day now I dont have any and I dont crave it like I used to.

6. 110 punds is a very realistic goal if you use the lapband as a tool to go with healthy eating and exercise, though I think that it the same with all weightloss. The band helps your brain think you are full, but that is no good if you aren't walking and you're eating McDonalds. I was just talking to a lady who lost 10 pounds in 5 months, though her weight was alot higher than yours. You just need to take charge of your band and use it to work for you.

7. The bad.... The cost, the pain, people asking how I lost weight when its none of their business, my surgeon became very rude, unsupportive, unprofessional and uninformative after my surgery and Im in the process of finding a new one to take over my lapband care, my sister being upset that I am slowly becoming smaller than she is.

The good... Knowing that I am going to achieve my goal and live a healthier life, feeling more fit and energetic, having people compliment my loss, even though its only 30lbs so far, having the support of my friends, family, my wonderful GP and this site and other people in the same position, making plans for the future that I have always been too scared to make.

I would definitely do this again, though while I was still in pain I said I wouldn't, I am so pleased with my results so far. My advice to you would be to get all of the information you possibly can before the surgery. Make sure you pick the right surgeon and get references. Make sure you have a meeting with the anaesthetist to make sure your pain will be properly managed. Ensure you have everything you will need for post-op care and diet. Be smart and realistic about your goals, break them down. Follow the lapband rules or there is no point doing it. Walk every day, even if it is for 5-10 minutes, make sure you move your body and increase your fitness each week. Ask questions all the time. But most importntly, get advice from your GP. I am not a medical expert, so dont take my advice to the bank.

Goodluck with everything. I hope you get the information you need to make the right decision for yourself.

Simone.

Hell...... I went to true results the cost is 4300&266 a month for two years dr.reiley is doing my surgery on the 13 i started the diet on my first appt.weighing 367& know im down 10/lbs....and excited

I used dr Reilly at true results. Insurance wouldn't cover it so I paid $9900 cash to their office. I liked the doctor but it can be tough to get convenient fill appointments if I don't book ahead at least a month. The price includes one year of fills. Not

Sure how much it is after that; I will have to decide if I want to continue at their office or find another office that will take me.

I've only seen the doctor twice. Every fill is done with the nurse. He also has a private practice in Houston.

I had my surgery through True Results in Dallas (they have an office in Houston) and I'm thrilled with the results. As long as you eat healthy (there are lots of websites you can use - I love WW) and exercise, you should be able to lose the weight.

I was self-pay and paid $8999, which includes my office visits for the first year. I financed it through Care Credit at no interest for 5 years (I'm going to pay it off in 2) and my only regret is not doing it sooner.

My mom and sister-in-law are both nurses and I know you're on your feet a lot - I would think you could go back to work after a week (I'd have my surgery on a Thursday or Friday, so you have 2 weekends before going back).

If you think of your lapband as a tool, along with diet and exercise, you'll do great. If you're not eating correctly (lots of carbs, fast food, etc), then you'll definitely have to change your eating habits. Everyone is different, but I can't eat bread, tortillas or rice, and I can't drink Diet Dr Pepper anymore (no carbonated drinks). But there are plenty of alternatives: Weight Watchers makes great ice cream treats and cups that are low in calories and sugars, and you can get lots of things (sour cream, cottage cheese, regular cheese, vegetables with sauce) that are either low-fat or no-fat. You can still eat anything within reason, but your portions are a lot smaller and it seems that after being banded, you are truly motivated to follow the nutritionist's advise (another reason I love True Results - they have several people there who are so helpful and most of them have been banded. PA, nutritionist, dietition, patient advocate and all of them will support you in any way they can.)

Read through the forums on this site. I found it before my surgery and was so glad I did! They helped with pre-op questions, post-op questions; I've asked some questions I couldn't ask my doctor and everyone here is supportive and willing to help.

Good luck on your journey! Let us know how you're doing!

These are such inspiring stories......thank you for all the great advise!!! My consultation is set for Feb 13th!! 0_o