Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Cheated On My Pre Surgery Diet... Am I A Terrible Person? :(

I started my pre surgery diet a week ago saturday.... and I was doing awesome. I even lost a few pounds. It all went down hill when my boyfriend and I decided to go to Vegas on a whim to have one last fun weekend before my surgery. I even went shopping for milk and brought my little blender with us. Somehow, I couldn't do it. I ate badly on sunday and a little bit today.... and I feel terrible. I'm supposed to be preparing for surgery and I feel like such a screw up... like I don't deserve the band because I couldn't just fight temptation over the weekend. Am I crazy for feeling this way? Is there hope for me? Or am I being way too hard on myself? I am all set to continue the diet and I am determined to get back on track. I get banded on friday the 20th and I'm so ready.

I just need some advice as to how I should deal with the fact that I cheated. Should I move on and drop it? Or use this as an example of how bad I felt when I cheated... so that down the road I'll remember it and want to stay on track?

I'm lost.

:(

Girl, I think you should just do really good this week and try your best to just lose some weight before surgery, like a few pounds maybe? As long as you loose a few pounds I think you should do fine....I think what matters the most is the last week before surgery....just don't cheat again...you should do fine...and go ahead with the surgery...stop worrying...pick up where you left off and start focusing on your future. Good Luck hun!

Well none of us are perfect banders..we have all cheated once twice or more..its just what you do after u cheat. Try to stay on track. When u fall off ask for help.i told my bf if i tried to cheat to remind me why im doing this. Its hard for meto pass upntemptation unless i am 1.extremely motivated or 2 i have help. I cheated on mypreop bc well i wanted something i knew id have to give up. It was only one day. And i drank pepsi and ate mexican food. Then went back to my liquid diet..

Now that i look back on it the taste are a fading memory. Do i miss soda yup, but ive read too many horror stories of foaming it up that i dont want to try it. Plus its just empty calories...

But i found a pic of me im about 190lbs in the pic and i look damn good. I carry that in my purse, when i want to cheat i pull it out and say. "This is what you are working towards...to be healthy and good looking, to have self confidence again. Don't screw it up and cheat..the moment will pass." I try to find a satisfying Protein snack.< /p>

So i hope this helps. There is still hope for you...at least you feel guilty about it. Lol

welldoneclap.gif

thanks ladies!! i am just going to do my best to get back on track and be really serious this week! i am determined!

If u stick to liquid diet yes . But do the preop diet your doctor gave u.

This is your PRE-SURGERY Diet?? Do you have a surgery Date???

How much you loose is between you and your Dr.

Mine told me I had to loose 20lbs before surgery or he will postpone the surgery date.

Did not care what I ate, or how I ate, just I needed to loose it or else.

My surgery was on a Monday, and I had my final pre-op meeting with him on the Friday before. It was then I had my final weigh-in.

So it was not a question if I was bad or not, it was "How Bad Did I Want This Surgery?"

After jumping through hopps for a year to get approved, I was not going to let this last hurdle get in my way.

Incedently, the saturday between final weigh in and surgery date, me and my family went out and did a "Last Meal" pig-out at a resturant of my choice.

Then fasted all day Sunday, Monday went without a hitch.

I cheated too on my pre-op diet. I was suppose to loose ten pounds and ended up losing 11. It would have been more if I didnt cheat but during my pre-op diet my husband's sister got married and between the rehearsel dinner and wedding I just couldnt help my self. But instead of throwing in the towel I got back on my pre-op diet and was REALLY GOOD! None of us are perfect and we ALL give in to temptaion.. That is what got us here in the first place. So dont beat yourself up. Brush it off and move on.

Maybe this will make you feel better. My surgeon no longer requires a pre-op diet because NO ONE FOLLOWED IT !!

i didn't have a set amount to lose, but i cheated on mine, and i did it big. LOL! our neighborhood had a huge cookout/easter egg hunt before i had my surgery, so i pigged out like crazy. i ate so much food it was ridiculous. don't feel bad, we have all done it. you are human. you made a mistake. move on and start over tomorrow.

For future reference I would buy premade shakes since they will be easy when you are on the go. In general I think going off your doctors diet pre op is not as big a deal as post op. Post Op you MUST, Yes ALL CAPS, MUST follow your doctors orders. They are going to sew your stomach around the band so it stays in place. This means you CAN NOT eat solids post op until your doctor allows.

I agree Honk. I think that as long as you get a solid week in of this diet then you should be fine. You will loose a few pounds plus shrink your liver...but if you pig out the whole time you may not get it. My surgeon told me about this one patient who said he did the diet and went under, got cut open and the doctor saw that his liver was swollen! It was so big that it was difficult for him to work in there, so he felt uncomfortable continuing with the surgery and sewed him back up, WITHOUT the band. Can you imagine? Now he has to start all over again with the entire process, and I don't even think he'll be covered through his insurance again because that was his fault for not following directions. I don't know if they are just telling us this to scare us into doing the diet, but all I know is I don't want to take any chances. So, you really do need to eat a lot less to get that liver shrunk so that doctor has room to preform the surgery.

The pre op diet should be followed due to the fact that obese people have enlarged livers, If you look at the way our body is set up, the liver lies right where the band is to be placed during the surgery, the purpose of the pre op diet is to shrink the fatty liver so the band can be placed without difficulty. My surgeon has refused to do the surgery on people that did not follow the pre op diet because of the fact that the liver had not shrunk and it is too dangerous to attempt to navigate around it in order to do the surgery properly. on the other hand he only requires 1 week of pre op diet, he does not require any weight loss from it, but he strictly told me that when he started the surgery he would be able to tell if I had followed it or not because of my liver, he also said that when he starts the surgery if he could see that my liver had not shrunk, he would not perfom the surgery. so make sure you follow your dr.s orders. good luck to you

I did not have a pre op diet either.....some surgeons ask you to do one so you lose weight around your liver.....they just want to ensure there is no damage caused to the liver when they are going in to fit the bad...that's what my doctor told me....so they ask some people to go on a diet ......I had my last super too....crisps...pizza and chocolate...the funny think is we think prior to the band we will never be able to eat these foods again....but we can....just not in the larger portion sizes we once ate them :)