Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Month Required Physician Visits???

I had to do it, I thought it was pointless but I am glad I did it. It made me focused around the 4th month. Show them you can lose weight, but dont show then you don't need the band. You got me? I basically did what I was supposed to do to shrink my liver, so they would move forward with the surgery. Good luck

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what happened to me too! My surgeon originally was set to have me banded in December! Obviously that didn't work out...because they sent my paperwork in over a month ago, only to have them come back 3 days later saying I needed to see a cardiologist. I was pissed because I felt like, why didn't they tell me this already? I could have had that appointment done weeks if not months ago!

Ugh, its over with now but I was very annoyed at the time...and I went to the Cardiologist a couple of weeks ago..so my paperwork was resubmitted last Monday...She actually called me on Friday, but called the wrong phone number...so by the time I got the message they were CLOSED. GRRRR was I upset that I had to wait the weekend! lol. I haven't even been to bed yet and I might as well just stay up cuz they will be open in an hour lmao...I really hope she called to tell me I got approved!!!

I too had the 6 month required doctor's visits- mine started with my pcp, not with the surgeon. I had called the surgeon to inquire about lap band, and they called my insurance company to get all the info. It went by really fast, and I can't believe my info is in to the insurance company.

It is good to use the time for introspection and wrapping your mind around the changes that are to come.

Wow, love your story Cocoabean!! shows what we can accomplish if we keep movin' forward!! Love it!!!!

I will also have that success in 2 years, keep believing!! It will happen.

Mine also requires the 6 months of continuous doctor visits. My 6th appointment is next week, Jan. 17th. Today I had my long pre-op visit with the surgeon and if all goes well, surgery is scheduled for the 8th of February. I also have to lose 4 lbs by Feb. 2nd, my pre-op visit- if I don't....no surgery. The purpose of this is to reduce "fatty liver syndrome". I start the modified Protein Shake diet on Jan 25th- you have two Protein Shakes daily, plus one meal of 4 oz. Protein and green vegetables. I think I can do it! I'm starting to get excited and anxious...have to lose those 4 lbs or else! Wish me luck, people!

Me too! I am so anxious but I can tell you this, if it wasn't for this site I would go craaaazy! I am basically prepared, on my 3rd month. Only did one test so far the bloodwork and I got called in already for my results by my primary doctor, so I am sure something showed up. I have 3 more test to take, EKG, Chest X-ray, and Bilaterial Venous Duplex. I am doing that next week. I saw the Nutrionist already, still have to see the phsyc doctor. My doctor will be writing up a 5 year weight history.

Also, being here gives me comfort and knowledge. I have ordered a few bags of Protein replacment shakes, ordering Gummy Vitamins and such, need a really good food processor (that is next on my list to buy). I am going to join a gym this week, I can only do Water areobics because I have severe arthritis, a hip replaced a few years back and my other hip is going. This leaves me pretty much limited in the exercise department. But, I will do the best I can. I have a stretching rope here and do that.

Best of luck, keep us posted on your journey!

Greekie- I just got approved today and got the same surgery date- Feb. 8th!!! I am soo excited and I start my diet on the 25th too! Its the same one too I'm pretty sure. Where are u from? I'm in Connecticut. So Glad that I don't have to worry anymore about not getting approved!!

And ElizabethAnne, you have to wait 24 months??? I have never heard of that before, thats soo long!!!!

Greekie- I just got approved today and got the same surgery date- Feb. 8th!!! I am soo excited and I start my diet on the 25th too! Its the same one too I'm pretty sure. Where are u from? I'm in Connecticut. So Glad that I don't have to worry anymore about not getting approved!!

And ElizabethAnne, you have to wait 24 months??? I have never heard of that before, thats soo long!!!!

Congratulations on being approved, Violet953! Yes, it will be 24 months next month, but at least my policy does still include benefits for weight loss surgery. The time period has also passed by more rapidly than I thought it would.

I had to do it, I thought it was pointless but I am glad I did it. It made me focused around the 4th month. Show them you can lose weight, but dont show then you don't need the band. You got me? I basically did what I was supposed to do to shrink my liver, so they would move forward with the surgery. Good luck

I go in on feb 9 for my 1st appt. I am worried though i have cigna insurance and they require 6 mo. Supervised diet. I am at 35 bmi with high blood pressure, depresion & borderline high cholestral. Im afraid if i lose any weight they wil deny me. Any advise anyone?

Just a side note i have been on just about every diet out there.....weight watchers probably 70 times, slim for life, Atkins, jenny craig & alot of different diet pills & a bunch of gym memberships. Nothing seems to work.

Thanks for all your advise

IWINCOA, what you should do is just stay at the weight you are now..if you really want this. How hard will it be to not loose weight for less than a month? ;) Then after your appointment, they will more than likely tell you to start trying to loose.

Thank you for your advise i will take it. It is appreciated

I just finished my 6 months the beginning of December, so my Dr office submitted my paperwork and the wait was on! The real problem came when the company I work for changed insurance companies on Dec 31st, so now I am waiting for the new company to reply. I believe that they require this in the hope that some of the people interested will just give up and go away. My recommendation is to use the time wisely, do all the research you can and practice the new lifestyle you will have to adapt to after the surgery. I lost 42 lbs during my six month pre-op and like to think that I am ready for this new part of my life to start!! (i probably just jinxed myself typing that, I totally take it back! :) )

MissUni do you by any chance work for omnicare? Because the same is happening with me!