Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Month Required Physician Visits???

Are there others out there that are required to have a 6 month Physician visits prior to surgery (to satisfy insurance requirements)? This will be month 4 for me and I am unsure what purpose this is serving. I qualify based on my BMI and co-morbidities. They weigh me, figure BMI, she asks me what I have been doing to try to lose weight....count calories, smaller portions, exercise (for me walking). My physician may prescribe phenermine at my next appt. (didn't want too sooner because of my BP). I was just curious how others were doing with this and if anyone had to do anything else during this 6 month window. Thanks for your input. K

It is a requirement many insurance companies have. Proof of an attempt to lose weight or some such. To me, it is their attempt to get people to go away and give up. I submitted Weight Watchers records which were accepted by my insurance company, but it still took over 6 months from when I went to my surgeon's seminar until I had my surgery. It took that long to get all the other tests done.

Hi! I have the 6 month insurance wait with Tri-care where I have to have the 6 visits. I'm on visit number 3 this Monday. It is very frustrating and seems senseless. The only thing good I can say about this waiting period is that it has made me think more and prepare more by being on this site and by watching the videos on the lapband website. These were things I didn't think I needed but now realize I will be all the more prepared when I do have the LB Surgery in May. The videos were especially great and my family watched them too! I recommend them at Lapband.com if you haven't already been there. Meanwhile, I'm getting into a routine now as I would be with the surgery - walking and eating the Protein first and then vegetables. I also have the Protein Shake in the morning with 20 grams or more of protein. There is physical preparation and then there is the major mental preps for me too. I want to go into this as fully knowledgable as I can be for a great success. If I didn't have the wait I would have just jumped right into surgery even though I am anxious and don't like the long wait! Three months would have been perfect!! The best to you!

My wife and I have to do the 6 month supervised diet as well with our UHC Options PPO insurance. We attend our first appointment with the surgeons office on the 18th, so we are really just starting the process. At first we were basically told the 6 month diet was not a requirement, but after calling the insurance company several times we managed it find out it was required. I am hoping that the 6 month will fly by, I have researched Lapband for almost 2 years now and we FINALLY have an insurance company that will pay 90%. After wanting the Lapband for 2 years, 6 months doesn't seem too much longer to wait (even though we are super anxious to have it done!!!).

By the way, Cocoabean - you look great and it seems like you've had great success!

im also having to do the six month supervised diet im on my forth visit 12th.im not sure if they go by months or visits not sure if the count the first visit with surgeon if anyone knows please let me know. and time does seem to be going by pretty fast not as slow as i thought it would.good luck

im also having to do the six month supervised diet im on my forth visit 12th.im not sure if they go by months or visits not sure if the count the first visit with surgeon if anyone knows please let me know. and time does seem to be going by pretty fast not as slow as i thought it would.good luck

I was also wondering if it starts with the first surgeons visit as well..I heard it did, then I heard it starts with the first Nutritionist visit. Also heard that routine visits with the surgeon are counted as well during the process. The visits probably have to fall in 6 different months I assume .

Well, insurance says you have to wait and that's that.

I just finished my first month and I have 5 more to go. After waiting, for what seems like a lifetime, to finally make this choice, I thought "What the hell will 6 more months do? Besides add 10lbs to my rear." Then I decided I'm going to try to use this 6months to work on me.

I believe my weight is not just a result of my love for carbs, but a result of whatever happened in my past that made me believe that food was the only thing that could fix me.

I wanted so badly not to have a waiting period and things to move with lightening speed, but thinking about it, i really need that time.

And the more I talk about me, the more I wanna curl up in a ball and hide in my closet. i cant believed that my life has turned this way. uggghhh. I'm going to bed.

Yes, But with my insurance it was 3 month. And I remember you can NOT miss or it basically starts all over .

As I stated before, I'm on visit number 4 (will be Jan 19th). I will not even meet with surgeon until after visit #4. Not sure what happens then. I believe I meet with a nutritionist, psych eval, then I'm unsure. I hope all goes smoothly. It appears the Bariatric Center that I'm working with is really prepared. They gave me the impression they know what the insurance companies are looking for and have all the necessary paperwork The packet they gave me was 50 pages. It included the 6 monthly forms for my required doctor visits, a referral letter my doctor to complete, etc, etc. I can even write a personal letter if I want too, not sure if I will though. Has anyone else done this? If so, what did you put in your letter. Good luck to everyone! K

By the way, Cocoabean - you look great and it seems like you've had great success!

Thank you so much! I consider myself a Lap Band success. I lost 100% of my excess weight in about 2 years (it was slow going, but it came off!). I've maintained it for about 2 years now. Next month will be my 4th Bandiversary.

I was very fortunate, the weight loss came very easily for me, and the maintenance has been just as easy as well. I went from a size 18 to a size 10. My blood pressure is now low-normal, my cholesterol is normal, and my blood sugar is good. I can't ask for much better result than that!

Yes, I had too do it also visit #6 next week, then I should get an anticipated surgery date. Did not lose much weight, but learned a lot during this time. My visits started with the consultation. Goodluck on your journey.

My insurance required the 6 month visit with a nutritionist. I'm not too sure why myself why. It's been a long time coming though. I just recently got a new insurance company through work and Im hoping they will cover the surgery. All they need is a letter of medical necessity from my PP which I've gotten, just waiting for the word. My date as of right now is 1/27/12.

I have been trying to get my lap band for over a year now. I was told that my insurance required 6 months worth of doctors visits, whether its with the surgeon or nutritionist, it both counts...but what they failed to tell me was that they had to be back to back appointments. And a couple of times I had to reschedule an appointment resulting in me having to start all the way over...which was devastating let me tell you...this happened around June of last year. Fast forward to now, FINALLY I have finished my six months and all of the required testing. All in all it was a good thing for me though to have to wait because it was more time to get prepared and now I'm ready for sure..and have lost just about 30 pounds to boot. Good luck and don't skip an appointment! Make sure you see somebody every month.

I just hope when it comes time for final Insurance approval they don't come up with something else for me to do. I'm trying to dot my "i's" and cross my "t's" now...but ultimately they are going to do what they want. Good luck to everyone!!