Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 1/16/12 Starting To Get Really Scared

Hi, New to the forum. I am scheduled to have my band put in 1/16/12 and I'm really starting to doubt my decsion. I'm really nervous that things will be terrible forever adn that I'll never be able to enjoy food again. Guess I'm just looking for some reassurance.

Im confused of your fears.

The band is ONLY a TOOL to control the amount of food you consume. No more over eating.

This isn't placed to MAKE you lose weight, it's placed to help while your changing all your BAD eating habits and help with Portion Control.< /p>

If food is more important than your health go ahead and cancel...its as simple as that. I eat very tiny meals of really good food and I do enjoy everything I eat.

Hi, New to the forum. I am scheduled to have my band put in 1/16/12 and I'm really starting to doubt my decsion. I'm really nervous that things will be terrible forever adn that I'll never be able to enjoy food again. Guess I'm just looking for some reassurance.

I am due to be banded on January 10th 2012 and understand your apprehension completely. I wonder if I will ever be able to dine out with friends again and enjoy a 'normal' lifestyle, like my slim friends do? That's not to say that I will miss overeating, merely that I fear the unknown. However that said I cannot wait to be banded next week. I'm sure in a few weeks/months time you will wonder why you ever questioned your descision. I look forward to following your journey,

A,x

If food is more important than your health go ahead and cancel...its as simple as that. I eat very tiny meals of really good food and I do enjoy everything I eat.

Can I get a AMEN!

If I was guaranteed to never be hungry again, I would exist on bread and Water if it meant getting my life back. (well not entirely, but you get the idea)

I think it is perfectly normal to have these fears and start second guessing our decision before surgery. It is a case of fear of the unknown. Rest assured you will enjoy food again. Not in the same quantities and probably different foods to the ones you are currently eating but you will enjoy them. Any foods that you give up you will discover that you don't really miss. And what is even better is that being slim, sexy and healthy feels far better than any food ever tasted.

I can understand being apprehensive over the unknown. It is something you have never done and it is, frankly, drastic. But, from my own point of view, I am thrilled that I took this leap to be the best me I can be. I cried like a baby about 2 days before surgery because of nerves. Then, I stopped, realized that it was just a reaction to an unknown journey and got myself ready for a life changing event that I am positive is the best thing for me. Regarding what you can eat....I have read a lot of good responses in that you can eat good, wonderful food, but in smaller portions. My doctor, as I read other posts, must be a bit more liberal with what we can do because I did not have to be on liquids for weeks after my surgery. I did a 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery. I did Clear Liquids for a day and then moved to full liquids. I was given the go ahead to eat mashed potatoes (albeit 2 tablespoons) for Christmas. So, I went to very soft, mashed foods pretty quickly. By New Years Day when my kids were asking for pizza Hut pizza, I was able to have 2 hot wings and I loved every morsel. It took me about 40 minutes to eat those two wings, but I got every ounce of flavor out of them. By the time you chew it down to dust you really learn what food tastes like. I actually appreciate how I have to eat now because instead of throwing it down the gullet and never really tasting it, I now savor every bite and hate that I missed it before. I use little appetizer spoons and forks to get my bite size just right. I have yet to feel hungry or deprived. Instead of lamenting that you will have to eat differently, embrace it. You might find that you appreciate the flavors and textures 1000% more because of the new way of eating. I know that the leader of the Weight Watchers group that congregates where I work is interested in my bringing in my eating utensils because it is a good way for anyone to eat. Slow down, savor it and enjoy what fuels your body. Don't be scared. We are all here in this with you...you are not alone in this process.

Take care and I look forward to seeing your great success,

Jen

I had all the same worries, so, I sat down and wrote out a list of pros and cons. The reasons to get LapBand were so much greater than the reasons not to. I even asked two friends that have been banded these two questions: Is this your new normal? and...Are you glad you had the surgery. Both said "absolutely".

I was so scared of the unknown. All the "what ifs" drove me crazy. But, I knew it was the right thing for me. It is a tool, pure and simple. I have been very fortunate, no ill affects whatsoever. I love my band.

Best of luck to you, whatever you choose.

I was banded 2 weeks ago, and I officially started mushy foods yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed tuna w/low fat mayo and I really couldnt tell the difference in taste. I also just made low fat mashed potatoes and I added lowfat shredded cheese and light sour cream for flavor. It tasted better than regular ol mashed potatoes w all the fat :). There are ways of making food appealing . There will be things that we are going to have to sacrifice but it will all be worth it in the end ! Good Luck

I do appreciate all of the Positive comments

Im so glad I read this post too. I am due surgery 19 jan and to be honest

now I cant wait im so excited rather than nervous.

x

Im so glad I read this post too. I am due surgery 19 jan and to be honest

now I cant wait im so excited rather than nervous.

x

What you are feeling is very normal - probably for most of us anyway. Not only are you dealing with the unknown, I can bet that you are also feeling the jitters of pending surgery. I can share with you that I cancelled my surgery not once but twice and not because food was more important than my health. Without going into great details as to why I cancelled, I can tell you that I am so glad I did go forth and very thankful to a very supportive wife and family. Here I am 1 year later, feeling great and have no regrets.

As far as the unkowns, you take it one day at a time. Trust me you will enjoy food but much less of it. Until your band and stomach completely heal you may not tolerate some foods, but, what you can't handle today may bring a different outcome tomorrow. In my case I could not eat steak for the first 8 months or so, no matter how small the piece or how well I chewed. As of today I do just fine with steak as long as I chew well.

My advice is to trust God and surround yourselves with the most positive supportive person(s) and go forward. You won't regret it. Jake

Edited by jakealta