Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Vs Lapband ? Help

Not sure what you mean by MOST of us. That implies more than half of banders are not happy with it and the statistics say otherwise. I feel for you but the band works for MOST people. Its not really luck either...it is HUGE behavior change.

Absolutely correct !

Absolutely correct !

Thanks Caz...PS: LOVE your ticker...rock on!

I agree with you, Elcee, but I've known Maria (aka Fluffy) for 3-4 years and never in that time has she managed to master her paranoid psychosis about the band. You might as well whisper into a hurricane.

Excuse me?! My "paranoid psychosis"?! Oh no YOU did not go there! YOU off all people! I have read where you stated that you have had a mental illness since a child............and you have the nerve to accuse ME of that?! I suggest YOU look in your freaking mirror!

Now I know you have a lot of unsold band books that you want to hock, but that is no excuse for insulting and trying to discredit someone who tells the negative side of the band that THOUSANDS of people have experienced!

Absolutely correct !

Oh it's very much luck! It may be working for you up till this point. You have no way of knowing how long your luck will hold out.

And again.....the band does not work for most ppl long term. You'll find out.

Have a nice day!

Thank you Elcee for posting what needed to be said. Fluffy needs to know that she comes across very judgmental. I am sorry Fluffy that you have not been successful with the band and wish you luck with what ever you chose to do next, but with your mind set will it be any better?

Excuse me?! You want to tell me just what exactly "my mindset" is???

I don't think my opinion is more valuable than yours but what I do try to do is present facts in a balanced manner without scaring the crap out of people.If you read the original post I made on this thread you should be able to see that that is what I have tried to do. On the other hand whenever I get an email notification with the name formerlyfluffy I know before I even read it that it will be some kind of antiband rant. It is obvious that you have had a bad experience with the band, however that should not mean that you try to turn everyone off having a band. Bands have been very successfull for many people. My father had a very bad experience with hip replacement surgery. So bad that he was reoperated on many times and came close to dying. Does that mean that I should now advise people against having hip replacement surgery as they may be the unlucky person that has something go wrong? You are also keen to promote the sleeve yet it appears that you don't yet have one.Maybe you should hesitate to sing it's praises until you know for sure that it is as wonderful as you think it is. When it comes to statistics one also has to be very careful of the source. It is a well known fact that the same set of statistics can be manipulated in such a way as to prove whatever the person using the stats wants to prove.When searching on the internet lots of different stats can come up for the same query. There are also far fewer people on the VSG board than on the band board. And you would probably be pushed to find any other than Tiffykins that has been banded for more than 2 years. So yes some have been through both surgeries and have found the sleeve more to their satisfaction, but the question is will they still be happy in 2 or 3 years time? It has frequently been said that there is no one size suits all surgery. It is important for each person to look at themselves and evaluate what they are and aren't prepared to do in order to achieve success.This decision combined with the advice of the Dr should be the best guide. Sometimes however mistakes are made. people with bands discover they need the malabsorption from a bypass, people with bypasses discover how to eat around it and decide to get a band over bypass etc. There is no one size suits all absolute solution. But the best way to make an informed decision is with solid facts rather than scaremongering.

If you don't like my "antiband rants" then my all means, feel free to skip over my posts. :-)

~You are also keen to promote the sleeve yet it appears that you don't yet have one.Maybe you should hesitate to sing it's praises until you know for sure that it is as wonderful as you think it is.~

Yes I "promote" the sleeve, as do I RNY and DS. Why? B/c I have seen it work for the majority of those that got it! Do I need to have all of those procedures to "promote" them? No. I've never had a vasectomy but I know that it is a success most of the time. Lol.

~There are also far fewer people on the VSG board than on the band board. And you would probably be pushed to find any other than Tiffykins that has been banded for more than 2 years.~

Maybe on THIS VSG board. Not on all of them dear.

~So yes some have been through both surgeries and have found the sleeve more to their satisfaction, but the question is will they still be happy in 2 or 3 years time?~

Maybe they will. Maybe they won't. But what I see over and over is ppl getting the band that are not happy with it. And we are not talking in 2 or 3 years time.

Your band may have worked for you. That is great. But how dare you judge those of us that have failed bands?!

Yes the best way to make a decision is with facts. And it is a fact that my band failed and that there are plenty of ppl out there with failed bands. So I think you have a lot of nerve expecteing the pre-ops to come here and hear the happy band stories...........but u want those of us with "less than perfect" band experiences to keep our mouths shut and stay away!

Excuse me?! My "paranoid psychosis"?! Oh no YOU did not go there! YOU off all people! I have read where you stated that you have had a mental illness since a child............and you have the nerve to accuse ME of that?! I suggest YOU look in your freaking mirror!

Now I know you have a lot of unsold band books that you want to hock, but that is no excuse for insulting and trying to discredit someone who tells the negative side of the band that THOUSANDS of people have experienced!

As I've told you before, Maria, it takes one to know one. I have indeed suffered mental illness - depression and PTSD - but I do my best not to inflict that on others. And where are the unsold books, pray tell? Bandwagon's 1st edition has sold out several print runs, and the 2nd edition will be printed at the end of January. Maybe it's time you actually read one of my books instead of whining about them. You can read, can't you?

As I've told you before, Maria, it takes one to know one. I have indeed suffered mental illness - depression and PTSD - but I do my best not to inflict that on others. And where are the unsold books, pray tell? Bandwagon's 1st edition has sold out several print runs, and the 2nd edition will be printed at the end of January. Maybe it's time you actually read one of my books instead of whining about them. You can read, can't you?

Lol. Funny. Now your trying to get me to waste my money on your book? Lmao!

Come on people! We have VERY clear rules here on LBT. You can disagree with someone's opinion but there's never ever a need for being rude or name calling, ever! Let's simmer down now please 001_smile.gif

I think from this thread and many others on this site, that there are, clearly many people who should never been 'sold' the

band. It takes a lot of self sacrifice and hard work and those not willing to change their life styles will never be

successful with it, although any form of WLS can be defeated, the band takes more work. There are those who will

install the band on anyone, no matter whether appropriate or not. I feel sorry for those who expect the band to take

weight off with no contribution on their part, those whose medical providers furnished them with inadequate counselling

and education.

I'm very pro band. It's controlled my diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and Lord knows what else, and I

wish those, for whom the band hasn't worked, could, somehow find that success.

I think from this thread and many others on this site, that there are, clearly many people who should never been 'sold' the

band. It takes a lot of self sacrifice and hard work and those not willing to change their life styles will never be

successful with it, although any form of WLS can be defeated, the band takes more work. There are those who will

install the band on anyone, no matter whether appropriate or not. I feel sorry for those who expect the band to take

weight off with no contribution on their part, those whose medical providers furnished them with inadequate concealing

and education.

I'm very pro band. It's controlled my diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and Lord knows what else, and I

wish those, for whom the band hasn't worked, could, somehow find that success.

I'm very glad you have been successful with the band. But why would you assume that those that aren't don't want to do " hard work and those not willing to change their life styles "???

That is very judgemental! Rejoyce in your success.............but don't you dare say that those that have not found it don't want to do any work or change their lifestyles when in fact it is the BAND THAT FAILED!

If you want to clear things up I suggest you ask her about HER mental health!

I suggest that if you actually want someone to take you seriously, you stop throwing around the phrase of mental illness with such venom!

Some of us are or have people we love dearly with a mental illness and have sufferred through the bigoted and stereotypical views of people such as yourself in regards to said illness.

Please grow up and find some compassion for people along the way and realize that you only discredit your own argument when your biased and disgustingly vile nature in regards to mental illness come out.

Dear "Fluffy",

I don't know why you think I was referring to you, you're not the original poster. Please don't tell me not to 'dare'

express my opinion on any subject. I don't see moderator in your title.

So, I am clearly confused.....Fluffy, do you even have a band?? There is absolutely nothing in your profile that states your surgeon, your weight....nothing!!! I am just curious....what your starting weight is, did you lose anything at all?? When did you get banded...etc, etc!! Then maybe some of us can have more of an understanding about why the band is NOT working for you....