Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Surgery Bandsters Group

My first fill was 6cc's. Had it a week ago today. Can have another fill next week. Lost 8 pounds last week but still eating more than a cup at meals. So I will be needing another fill at that appointment. Doing better though which is good. This is at least better than no restriction at all for sure. Love my band!

Well I went for my first fill today! I was not shocked to learn that I had gained 12 lbs since surgery six weeks ago. I felt absolutely no restriction and slowly began to eat almost as much as before surgery. I was almost too embarrased to go for the fill. However, my surgeon told me that about 65% of people dont feel any restriction, initially. He did not lecture me or make me feel bad about myself. So I decided to start fresh. The fill was not bad at all. It did not hurt and he did not numb me beforehand. I got four cc's added to the original one cc and it was too much. Drinking Water felt like a lump in my throat that would not move. So he removed one cc and I now have a total of four cc's which feels really comfortable. I am anxious to see if I will feel full after eating a normal meal. However, that wont be for a few days as I have to limit myself to liquids and then soft foods for a few days. Wish me luck everyone!!! I am so glad I went through with this.

First fill here today as well! I had no saline put in during surgery so the NP tried 5cc and then had me drink Water. What a weird feeling that was. I could NOT drink it...it felt stuck but then after 30-45 seconds, it seemed to trickle down. Was taking me forever to drink and she was really worried I was too tight. She ended up taking out 1cc so I am at 4 now. Of course doing the liquids, etc for the next few days.

I was surprised how much her pushing down on my stomach trying to find my port realllly made me kind of nauseas. Ugh.....and I had to keep my feet raised while she was doing this as it made accessing the port easier.

I have to say I was kind of sweaty and a bit nauseas by the time I left the office. Not a horrible experience but not a great time either. I go back in 2 weeks...hope it goes a little smoother unsure.png

My first fill was 2/9 and only 2cc. Its weird, some foods I feel restriction on. I definitely feel more restriction early in the morning. But I am still hungry between meals. I think part of the problem is I know I don't chew as much as I need to. Still can't tolerate any wheat products. Looking forward to another fill on 3/10. :-)

I started with a trainer 3 times a week for 2 weeks and now I have him twice a week. I feel that I wouldn't work out as much without him. He really holds me accountable. He had me get a heart rate monitor and I email him my results after each workout. Can't fake a heart rate!! I think I could go with just seeing him once a week, but I kind of like the individual attention and the support. Today we created an at home toning workout and I think it is easy enough to keep up with it. I made it really clear to him from the beginning I am not interested in a life time membership, but I want him to teach me how and what to do at home. We have spent the last month doing a little of everything so he can figure out what I can and can't do and modifying the workouts. For example there are a lot of exercise that my stomach is too big for so he has me do similar exercise that work around my belly!!! So I recommend being very clear about what you want to get out of your training sessions and make them stick to it. Also ask session what are we working on and why and can I do it on my own at home. He also took measurements and even though it was embarrassing I am glad we did. Today was my 4th week with him and we did measurements and it was so exciting to see the inches go down in all areas! Except my stomach, that was disappointing, but he explained that was normal, it is that last to go. Yuck!!

Good Luck to all of you and your new training routines!!

I think you should tell him how it makes you feel. I'm sure he'd be happy to come up with an alternative. And you're right, he works for you! :-) Keep up the great work though!

Hi everyone. I had my first fill of just 1 cc in a 10 cc band about 3 weeks ago and I go for my second small fill next Monday. My doc said he wants to do regular small fills at 3 week intervals, which I haven't seen anyone here post about? I guess every doctor and every patient truly is different. I will update with any losses next week. All in all, I feel great but do need some restriction in this band. I feel it in the mornings, but by evening I feel like I don't even a band!

Also, I downloaded the iPad app and it's great!

Today I truly experienced bandster hell. I tracked my calories, but not until the end of the day. Big mistake. 1600 calories later and I'm freaking out. I have been so hungry. At first I was doing great 800-1000 calories a day. The past few days I feel out of control and like my old self! I have zero restriction and I'm starving!!!!

So many great stories and comments. I find them so helpful. I was banded Jan 9th and had to wait 6 weeks for fill but now I can have them every 2 weeks until I reach some level of restriction. First fill of 3 cc, no improvememt, Second fill this last Friday of 0.5. It started as 1.0 but I had a slight hesitation when I swallowed Water and Doctor insisted on taking 0.5 back out. She was very concerned that I might end up being sick over the weekend and she wouldn't be available to help. As the days have passed, however, I still don't feel any difference and I am trying not to be disappointed. When you look at my total weight loss since 1/9, at 27 pounds she thinks I am doing just great and shouldn't be worried. I am exercising a lot as well, 5-6 times a week on cardio, weight training alternates on days, lower body one day and upper body the next. We also tried a Zumba class last Friday. My friend and I, at 60, are clearly 20-30 years older than everyone else in the class and it shows! But we will go again until we can do it!

So girls, how big was your first fill? I have a 14 cc band, and I'm worried that it's going to take forever to get restriction if fills are like 1-2 cc's at a time- I have heard that a certain amount of the saline stays in the tubing.....

Tell me what you guys have gotten, and how it went with your doctor- what he/she asked you, what you said, etc. I get mine a week from today!

My first fill was Fri 2/24. I already had 2cc and he gave me 2cc (total 4cc) I don't have lots of restriction but I can feel a little. I've been stressing over some personal stuff all weekend so I don't know if my loss of appetite is from the fill or stress (I normally lose my appetite when I'm really stressed and eat terribly when i do eat, luckily I've had the will power to make healthy choices). Nothing has gotten stuck so far I'm scheduled for my next fill is 6 weeks but I could get 1 as early as 4weeks they told me to just call if I wanted to come in earlier.

My doctor asked me how long does it take after eating until I feel hungry again, I said about 2 hours. I told him I just mentally make myself stop eating. Finally, getting a fill hurt I will admit I'm a baby when it comes to needles but still it hurt, not so terrible I'll never go again lol but enough to make me cringe in pain. He said now he know exactly where the port is it will be easier next time (I'm thinking yeah sure, a needle is a needle lol)

I hear you, horsegirl! The thing that keeps me on track is the logging on my fitness pal as I go throughout the day, and can keep track. I'm not ravenous, but I definitely feel like I could eat just like before the surgery if I let myself. I just step on the scale every day to keep me in line!!

Ladybandido, I hadn't heard about the smaller fills at closer intervals, but it makes sense- as long as you doc isn't making you wait a month between, I imagine the effect is the same.

Mags- I hear you on the chewing!!! I have always been a fast eater, not a lot of chewing going on, LOL. I am not good at it yet, but I have at least been cutting off very small pieces of my Protein.< /p>

ValAnn- I worry about that too, as I don't think I can feel my port- the doc said it was lower than my incision, and before the surgery he told me I probably wouldn't be able to feel it.

Nicole- Let us know how it goes with the trainer! As Mags said, I'm sure there's other things he could have you do.

Maddy- isn't zumba so much fun??? Who cares the age! My zumba instructor always reminds us at the beginning of class that it doesn't matter what you look like, zumba is for everyone!!!!

Erin- are you documenting your food and exercise? I use my fitness pal, but there are others too. Just because you can eat like you did before the surgery doesn't mean you should. Sounds like your fill is just what you need to get going! This still takes a lot of work and a lot of awareness, and it sounds like you have a great surgeon. It's a learning process for sure!!!! I just know if I document it really hits home just how many calories I'm eating, and really helps keep me on track. Once you see the weight coming off it's a good motivator too!! So maybe instead of seeing if you can eat a regular meal, measure out the amount of food you're supposed to have (3 oz protein, 1 cup, however your surgeon puts it) and just eat that, and stop- whether you're hungry or not. I think that feeling of fullness comes with being in the green zone- that can take awhile. Just my $.02- you do what is right for you.

I'm doing okay- exercised last night for a total of 3 days in a row!! It's a record!! LOL. It was nice to log it into myfitnesspal, though, and see the net calories. From my scale it looks like I'm down at least another lb, so that is nice. I just have to find a way to work out consistently- I don't really want to get up at 5:45 to do it, but neither do I want to spend my evening working out at the expense of time with DH. I'll figure it out!

NJ2NC, we cross posted- I'm a baby when it comes to needles too, so we'll see how it goes! I guess it's good to go a little at a time getting to the green zone, as it seems like it can be a fickle spot! I too am a crappy eater when stressed, so good for you making good choices.

Today I truly experienced bandster hell. I tracked my calories, but not until the end of the day. Big mistake. 1600 calories later and I'm freaking out. I have been so hungry. At first I was doing great 800-1000 calories a day. The past few days I feel out of control and like my old self! I have zero restriction and I'm starving!!!!

Elizabeth, don't beat yourself up. You've been doing wonderful and still are. Remember, the first 5-6 weeks are for healing, albeit, we want to lose weight while we're doing it, but we are in bandster hell. There can be many reasons for this, one being the obvious, bandster hell, the other, being a woman and it being your "time of the month". I had a total hysterectomy when I was 36, but that didn't mean I lost my hunger for cravings at that time of the month. I call it my phantom period and I'm in it as we speak, but for some reason, I'm doing ok this month. Unfortunately, being that it's leap year, I have one more day hoping the cravings don't attack tonight at 10pm, my bewitching hour! :-) Be kind to your self, it's a journey we're on.

This thread is great! I am a bandster as of January 11th 2012. So far it has been a journey, but I feel definite progress! I had my first fill february 24th. It was actually a scary experience, I had 3.5 cc put in a 10 cc band and I felt an extreme fullness and I was very uncomfortable afterwards. My doctor had me drink a shot of Water to see how it went down but I felt like it was funneling in, and it even made a gurgling sound. Now that it has been a few days, it has gotten better but I don't feel much of a restriction. Did anyone else feel that they wanted another fill only a few days after their first?

LOL, I agree totally herestolosing it!!!!

Kath- I do think a lot of people feel that way, it takes several fills, and if you're like me you want it sooner rather than later. Keep on keepin' on!

I lost 3.5 lbs this past week! And exercised yesterday- 4 days in a row! A new record!! It is good motivation to keep logging and paying attention.