Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January Surgery Bandsters Group

Ok so I am sitting @ the dr office typing this on my iPhone. I have my fingers crossed I get a fill!! I am currently starving!! Maybe if my stomach grumbles it will prove my point!

Everyone is right the 1st couple of mths are hell. Between the pain from surgery the being hungry and all the holidays it has been hard to be good, but I paid a lot (self paid) for this & I refuse to give up. I recommend getting a private trainer even if it is just for a few weeks to get you motivated. But interview them first & make sure they have experience working w/ banded clients. I love my trainer he sends me daily pep talks!!

Ok I got 2cc fill! I'm still hungry but that is because I am back on all liquids for 2 days & 2 days purée. I can't stand all liquids they are not filling but it is necessary to be sure nothing gets stuck the 1st few days. So officially I have lost 38lbs since surgery 6 weeks ago!!

Congrats, Nicole- and 38 lbs in 6 weeks!! That is awesome!!!!!! I too hate the all liquids- chicken broth makes me...ick....LOL

Congrats Nicole, you're in inspiration to the rest of us January Bandsters. I'm down 15lbs in 3 weeks but no I lost more in inches what with my clothes. I'll take both! Keep it going!

Congrats Nicole on your weight loss! Erin, I went for my 1 month post op appt. last Thursday and expected to get a fill since I was so hungry and all. I had to drink barium while they ran their test and then the dr. said my band is in a good spot and I have some restriction. Therefore, he said I don't need a fill this month. I have been eating about 3 times a day but he told me to eat 6 small meals a day. Every doctor is different but it's helped me with my hunger so much. He took me off carbs (breads, Cereal, rice, pasta) but I wasn't really on them since surgery anyway. It's all Proteins and veggies for the next month and a little fruit if I need something sweet. I have been able to eat anything I want as well, but like others have said, it's not worth it. I've been restricted twice now on a bite of toast and some shredded roast beef that I thought I could have. Big mistakes. I felt so much pressure like someone was sitting on my chest. I am now doing a food diary and it's helping a lot. Plus, I am walking 3 miles per day and it's been great. I did gain 3 lbs. since the 2 week appt. but that was because of full liquids and I was so sick. Now that I'm eating food of course I am going to gain weight. I'm down to 10 lbs. total and I'm fine with that. That's a healthy weight to lose in a month. Good luck!

Hi everyone, happy Monday! I can read on the weekends, but its harder to post! My first fill is 2 weeks from today, and I can't wait. I've been logging and working hard, but need to add in my elliptical. I'm feeling good about myself, though!!!

WellI haven't posted for a long time.I've had zero restriction for weeks now and can eat everything. I do great during the week packing my lunches but dinnertime and the weekends are crazy. It's hard to not eat what the rest of the family is eating. I have began exercising though. I'm up to 20 good minutes on the treadmill at 3 times a week. I also got in a zumba CD the other day and did that as good as I can, who knew you have hip muscles! I'm pushing myself harder and trying hard not to compare myself to others. If I keep increasing my exercise and pushing myself I feel I'm doing good. But sometimes hearing the accomplishments of others on here feels like I'm failing this battle. Well I go in for my first fill today, 6 weeks postop. I'm going to look at this as the next step of the process. I haven't gained anymore so I feel that's good news with no restriction for sure! I'll keep posting to keep myself accountable. Wishing everyone an energetic week!

Kymie, not gaining any weight is a success!! I know what you mean, I told my husband that it was hard not to eat my way through the weekend like I used to. I log EVERYTHING on my fitness pal on my phone, it keeps me accountable. Good for you on the exercise- that's what I need to add in. It's a process- someone just posted something the other day- this is a 3 step process:

1. Surgery and healing

2. Getting filled to restriction

3. Losing weight!!!

So you're spot on.

WellI haven't posted for a long time.I've had zero restriction for weeks now and can eat everything. I do great during the week packing my lunches but dinnertime and the weekends are crazy. It's hard to not eat what the rest of the family is eating. I have began exercising though. I'm up to 20 good minutes on the treadmill at 3 times a week. I also got in a zumba CD the other day and did that as good as I can, who knew you have hip muscles! I'm pushing myself harder and trying hard not to compare myself to others. If I keep increasing my exercise and pushing myself I feel I'm doing good. But sometimes hearing the accomplishments of others on here feels like I'm failing this battle. Well I go in for my first fill today, 6 weeks postop. I'm going to look at this as the next step of the process. I haven't gained anymore so I feel that's good news with no restriction for sure! I'll keep posting to keep myself accountable. Wishing everyone an energetic week!

You're doing great Kymie!! Don't be so hard on yourself. YOU made the 1st step and got the surgery!! I think everyone has mentioned a halt in the weighloss. I have been the same weight for 3 weeks, but my clothes are feeling looser, so pay attention to how your body feels not what the scale says.

It is really hard to not eat what the family is eating, so I only cook what I can eat!! I still will cook a rice-a-roni for them, but I pick ones that I do not care for and it really helps!! Also I took a kitchen cabinet and put all of my food in it, so I don't have to go into the cabinets with their bad food. Out of sight out of mind!! Also my husband does the major grocery shopping and that helps.

As for the exercise try including simple toning exercise that you can do to music or the TV. I do wall squats, where you lean against a wall while squatting. I could only do it for 10 sec at first and now I am up to 42 sec. The more you build your large muscles (thighs and stomach) the easier the walking will be. Even laying on your back and doing leg lifts works both and they are not too hard to do with belly in the way!! I will find the official name of some of my exercise and send you links on how to do them!

Keep positive!!

Ok so I am sitting @ the dr office typing this on my iPhone. I have my fingers crossed I get a fill!! I am currently starving!! Maybe if my stomach grumbles it will prove my point!

Everyone is right the 1st couple of mths are hell. Between the pain from surgery the being hungry and all the holidays it has been hard to be good' date=' but I paid a lot (self paid) for this & I refuse to give up. I recommend getting a private trainer even if it is just for a few weeks to get you motivated. But interview them first & make sure they have experience working w/ banded clients. I love my trainer he sends me daily pep talks!![/quote']

How often do u meet with ur trainer? Im meeting with on today but I don't know how often to do it

The trainer thing is interesting to me too. They YMCA offers training, and as soon as i"m cleared at my 6 week checkup/fill to lift heavier weights, I'm going to sign up. Also, my insurance offers some over the phone counseling, which I 'm going to try too. I figure why not go for it totally!! This is my life and my health.

I found a local life coach who has nutrional training who is willing to work with me, I'd be happy finding a walking partner.. rolleyes.gif

Hi Everyone,

Haven't posted in awhile (banded Jan 3). I'm doing ok, but not great. Unlike many of you, I have lots of restriction. I got the small band, maybe that has something to do with it. I pb all the time. It is a blessing to not have restriction in the beginning so the process is more gradual, I think. Be grateful for it. I am losing weight (about 20 pounds) but haven't gotten into an exercise groove yet. Finding myself a bit depressed I think. I need to get motivated to do more work, get on here more often, I think. I need to take a more active role in this process. I can't seem to get excited about yogurt and eggs any more. I have to figure out better, more normal options for food that won't get stuck. Some times I am so tight in the morning, I can't even get a bite of yogurt down without feeling somewhat stuck. By the end of the day it's worked itself out, but I am still trying to figure this all out.

Did your doctor have any concerns with you being so restricted at this point? Also did he fill date of surgery? Congrats on the 20lbs! I'm the same way with exercise. I was gung ho at first, but finding myself making excuses on not exercising. Need to get back in the groove. Stay positive. We can do this!

I started with a trainer 3 times a week for 2 weeks and now I have him twice a week. I feel that I wouldn't work out as much without him. He really holds me accountable. He had me get a heart rate monitor and I email him my results after each workout. Can't fake a heart rate!! I think I could go with just seeing him once a week, but I kind of like the individual attention and the support. Today we created an at home toning workout and I think it is easy enough to keep up with it. I made it really clear to him from the beginning I am not interested in a life time membership, but I want him to teach me how and what to do at home. We have spent the last month doing a little of everything so he can figure out what I can and can't do and modifying the workouts. For example there are a lot of exercise that my stomach is too big for so he has me do similar exercise that work around my belly!!! So I recommend being very clear about what you want to get out of your training sessions and make them stick to it. Also ask session what are we working on and why and can I do it on my own at home. He also took measurements and even though it was embarrassing I am glad we did. Today was my 4th week with him and we did measurements and it was so exciting to see the inches go down in all areas! Except my stomach, that was disappointing, but he explained that was normal, it is that last to go. Yuck!!

Good Luck to all of you and your new training routines!!

@ Erink58- I know exactly what you mean! I was banded on the 19th of Jan. and am in the same place as you. It is starting to feel like I can eat whatever. I do not feel any restriction so it makes it hard to remember it's even there. I have been doing pretty good though. I am happy with my weight loss of 20 pounds since surgery, but feel like I may be headed in the same direction. My first fill is Feb. 2nd Wishing you well! Hang in there It helps so much to know that other people are in the same place as you are in this journey!