Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my approval from insurance and now the last thing I have to do before they can schedule surgery is to quit smoking. I have tried to quit a thousand times. The nurse said they do a urine test for nicotine, so I can't even use gum or Patches or anything. Anyone have the same issue? I welcome any suggestions!

I quit smoking a year and a half ago. I know your pain. Maybe you could try Chantix or Zyban?

I just quit last week. I am using an electronic cigarette for the tactile cravings...there are different nicotine strengths you can get. I am using the 0% right now.

I smoked at least 1 to 1-1/2 packs a day since I was in High School. I graduated in 1970 so that gives you a idea how long.

I quit for good about 6 years ago.

Smoking is a Obsessive–compulsive disorder (google it) and should be treated as such. You need to speak with your Dr. and treat it from this angle for successful results, that may include Rx medication.

You have to really want to quit. To say you want to do it to get by for surgery, IMO, is superficial and you have set yourself up to fail before you have even begun.

I smoked at least 1 to 1-1/2 packs a day since I was in High School. I graduated in 1970 so that gives you a idea how long.

I quit for good about 6 years ago.

Smoking is a Obsessive–compulsive disorder (google it) and should be treated as such. You need to speak with your Dr. and treat it from this angle for successful results, that may include Rx medication.

You have to really want to quit. To say you want to do it to get by for surgery, IMO, is superficial and you have set yourself up to fail before you have even begun.

Um…no.

OCD is a disorder. Some people with OCD smoke. That is where the relation ends.

Smoking is addictive and that is why it is so difficult for most people to give it up.

Did you think that the poster might not want to quit forever…maybe they just want to do what they need to do for surgery?

I agree, you need to really want to quit in order to do so permanently and IMO, sanctimonious down-talking is not really a good motivator. You quit 6 years ago? Great!! You could have really been helpful by telling the OP how you did it instead of preaching.

I quit last Christmas after smoking 2 packs/day for 15+ years. I too used the electronic cigarette to keep my hands busy. I didn't have my surgery until this December - I wanted to be smoke-free for a year before getting banded just to prove to myself I could quit cigs, so I could conquer my food addiction as well. I haven't had my 1st fill yet but have already lost quite a bit and am looking forward to long-term success! You CAN do this, you WILL do this. Everyone smokes for different reasons and continues or quits for their own reasons. I think using the surgery as one of your motivators to quit smoking might just be perfect! Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Smoking is really difficult to stop, especially when you enjoy it like I did. I was banded on December 22 and I'm still struggling with the whole smoking thing. After awhile it becomes a mental thing. Trying to stop something you've done for years is difficult...especially when your mind is telling you, you have to have one. It's all about will power and wanting to quit. You have more will power than you give yourself credit for. I wish you luck and hope you are successful.

My doctor told me the same thing. But i didnt quit til a day before surgery. I have been smoking for 12 years. I havent wanted another since i had the surgery. I dont think I,ll pick it back up either.

My doc told me the same but I didn't quit at all :-( . I didn't have a nicotine test before surgery and i've healed just fine. But I started chantix today woohoo! I love to smoke but hope to be smoke free soon. I've heard this works wonders. Goid luck to you.

With cutting food intake by 60% and not smoking I was a dream to live with 30 days prior to surgery.......LOL I stuck with it and have been off cigars for 2 months.

Stick with it and get on to the patch as soon as you can. It really took the edge off for me. Good Luck!

With cutting food intake by 60% and not smoking I was a dream to live with 30 days prior to surgery.......LOL I stuck with it and have been off cigars for 2 months.

Stick with it and get on to the patch as soon as you can. It really took the edge off for me. Good Luck!

After smoking cigarettes for over 30 years, I quit for good a few years ago. Have no interest in going back. BUT after giving up cigarettes, I can really appreciate the enjoyment of a quality cigar!

That picture in my avatar, what you can't see is I'm holding a Cuban! It was shot in Mexico.

Hated them when I was on cigarettes.

Is your doctor going to give you a test weekly? Otherwise how would they know you are using Patches or gum to quit? Seems short sighted to me that they want you to quit cold turkey with no help.

I quit about 2 days before surgery lol. I havent had a problem since. I actually have smoked a few but they tasted nasty to me so I think I will just stay away. The way I found that made it a little easier (my dr refused to give me a perscription) was to ease into it. Just cut down a little each day till basically your smoking one a day...Its not always easy but it was a little easier for me like that

My doctor told me the same thing. But i didnt quit til a day before surgery. I have been smoking for 12 years. I havent wanted another since i had the surgery. I dont think I,ll pick it back up either.

I wouldn't say to follow my example, but I smoked about a pk a day til about 2 wks before my surgery, then I cut back and had my last one thenight before surgery. They did a urine test when I got to haspital but said it was pregnancy test. I haven't craved one or anything since, in fact the smell makes me queasy now.