Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I quit 9 years ago cold turkey. I was pregnant and the morning sickness made it easier to quit. But I knew if I ever made it 24 hours without one I would never go back. Its too hard to quit. I enjoyed it but I know I am better off.

My husband on the other hand is still a smoker and he was banded 1 week before me. My doctor wanted him to quit but he couldn't quit. As a matter of fact the my husband's unsuccessful attempt at quitting is the reason why our surgeon refused to go the gastric sleeve on him. BUT when we were doing the pre-opt appointments the pumologist made a good point, he asked my husband, "if you are getting the band to live longer then why are you still smoking?" In fact he got my husband to commit to him a quit date and to come back 2 weeks before that date so he can give him a plan to quit. The pumnologist told him that even if he has nicotine gum for the rest of his life he is ok with that, but in the meantime he is going to give him a plan and possibly medication to help me quit. So my only advice is why don't you see a doctor that can give you the proper to tools for you to quit? Doctors are always quick to tells us to quit without giving us the tools. It's worth a shot. Good Luck!!!

I'm a regular cigar smoker, I was told flat out that I didn't have to quit. The reason isn't the nicotine, it's the pulmonary irritation. Nicotine itself isn't addictive, which is why cigar smokers don't have cravings and withdrawls like cigarette smokers, it's the 500+ other chemical additives in cigarettes that cause the dependancy. They are quite simply designer drugs. Cigars contain only 1 or 2 things. Tobacco leafs and vegetable gum which is used to "glue" the wrapper leaf in place so it doesn't unravel... that's it. Cigars contain around the same amount of nicotine as a full pack of cigarettes, so saying that nicotine is the addictive chemical is daft.

If they want you to stop. Stop, deal with how much it sucks however you can and after surgery, if you want to return to smoking, feel free. I've smoked clove cigarettes for YEARS, never had an issue walking away for one reason or another, joined the military, couldn't smoke for almost a year, how did I deal? Altoids mints, gum and exercise. I went back to smoking them, gave them up again for some other reason of which I don't recall, did the same thing, changed the addiction to something different. People have a hard time understanding that addiction isn't purely chemical, there is a mental aspect within the addicted that doesn't want to give it up. If it were purely chemical, than it would be very easy to treat and there wouldn't need to be psychiatrists in rehab centers.

Decide what is more important to you, is continuing smoking worth it right now? Prob not, so stop.

This video pretty much sums it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYLMTvxOaeE

Thanks all for your suggestions and support. Shortly after posting this I had set my quit date for Jan 4. Right now I am feeling quite confident that I CAN do this! SkinnyMini.... your surgeon makes perfect sence... If I want to have this surgery to be healthy, why would I want to continue to smoke? My surgeon is a stickler on this requirement and I fully believe he will do a urine test before setting my surgery date. So, here's to a new, healthier year to all of us!

What about those e cigarettes. Near me they have kiosks at the mall. I think you get a small amount of nicotine and you use a small device that you use like a cigarette.

My husband has one. I have never used it and now I dont want to or need to. He had to have it and was deterined to quit. He used it for about a month when he wanted a smoke, and now he is back on regular cigs and has been for 2 yrs. I don't think it is all it is cut outto be, plus expensive.---KathyofAlabama u can do this. Just think you are having the surgery to turn your life around for the best and for your health, y hurt it with a cig. Once u can get through the 1st 3-4 days it is much easier (I've done it b4). You can and will do it. Best of luck.

2 co-workers of mine and my husband have all failed with those e-cigarettes.

Just an update... my quit date of the 4th didn't take. Smoked after just 23 hours. So, I tried again on the 9th. Today I have been smoke free for 4 days!!! YAY ME! I am sure now that I can do this. I still have the urge, but it isn't strong enough to throw the past 4 days away over. Thanks again for all the support! Look forward to getting a surgery date, possibly mid February!