Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Prior To Surgery, X# Weeks Diet Question

Hey there folks,

I haven't quite started but am curious as to what the restriction is that makes it so certain people have a stricter and longer few weeks to do liquids prior to surgery. Whats the limits ?

I guess whats to ask is, how much can you way or how much fat can you bring into surgery ?

Not at all that I won't try it to my best when told to do what I have to, just curious as to if I'll need to have a long diet plan for pre-surgery or what.

I am male and also at a fairly higher weight given.

good luck to all of you

your doctor will tell you what they expect you to do to get ready. I was told to lose 5% of my weight, that is to shrink the liver. any weight you can lose before will really help.

have you talked to a doc yet?

be sure to check many of the forum topics. you will learn a lot about the whole process.

welcome to lapband land.

Hi readytogoforit,

5%, hmmm. thats not allot to ask if I get the same result when my doc lets me know.

I have yet to meet with the doctor, I have however been to one 5 years ago, past through tests and wasn't aproved for iinsurance. I am also reading the forum a bit, I just wondered how they determine this.

Can I ask, what was the diet pre-surgery when they chose it, did he restrict you to liquids for a while ? I know a little about the post surgery from reading here and there.

oh and btw, it seems I should get my aprovals straight this time around I think.

My Dr only requires me to do Clear Liquids the day before surgery, but I may start a few days ahead of time because ill probably be too nervous to eat anyway! Different doctors require different things, I have not been able to figure out why some require a liquid diet for two week, some for one weeks and some not at all

I had thought there was a weight limit as to what you can weigh on the table, I guess it may have to do with the way your built inside though. fat ratio and muscle in the way, the exam includes an upper GI so they see what they are up against.

I suppose I might need it for a surgeon to get inside alright and then it also clears the stomach so there is access and no content.

Or it could be the preference of a doctor that demands more and most time on the diet, I don't want to quibble if I am speaking to one and he/she said to do a long fast on liquids, I weigh allot, I am thinking of trying dieting a bit to ease this part of the process,

I don't know, but I am sure a week would be doable, 2 would be *heck* to do but any more than that and me thinks I am cursed if I had to do it. I am willing to do what it takes at this point though, I am trying out a few things ahead to see what this will be like and to know what I am doing then, plus get a heads up on what I need for the time periods of transition and pre-op.

Every Dr. is different, I have to do a 2week Protein Shake liquid diet before surgery. I am on day 11 and it is rough at times, but like anything else after the fact you realize that is wasn't that long. I will be happy to use other forms of Protein though :)

I had to lose 5 pounds! That was all! Good luck :)

My surgeon doesnt require any diet before but im doing high Protein Shakes only starting Tues. (7 days prior to surgery). Then im going to do clears the two days before.

sounds like I will manage, I know I can put my mind to what ever the requirment is, my hope is that it won't be to much bigger a time than most. You know it is a start on losing, should be worth an effort to get the thing rolling.

So, Mags2u, you will be having surgery soon, next week, Good luck, what a great start for the New Year.

My doctor made me do 10 day diet. That way i would get used to the drinks an the routine of when to eat. Also he needed me to shrink the size of my liver. By shrining my liver it makes it easier in him to work.I was banded on December 30, 2011

I was banded 12/29. I started my 10 day liquid on on the 19th. It wasn't that bad, until the 3 different Christmas dinners I had to attend. All I can say, is that you have to be mentally prepared for it. I got through it (without cheating) but it was tough at times. I'm on liquid for 3 more days, then onto the mushy stage.< /p>

Good luck to you, if you have anymore questions let me know.

I am starting to feel a bit of enthusism and not just about the liquid diet.

Also I am looking at products and solutions for the diets pre and post op plus Vitamins I can use afterward on line. looks like I am feeling I can more easily just do this portion of the diets now that I feel I want to and more and more as I read on this forum.

thanks for replies, it's encouraging to see all that people are doing on this forum.

I'm looking forward to a webanaire Jan 21 and then plan to jump in as quick as I can,

I've been through a portion of prelimm stuff about 5 years ago and then it was called off about 2/3rds the way into everything, this time I expect to get to this part and surgery.

I hope you all get the results you want and health from it all, I expect just to get off mild dose pills, cholestral, b preasure, anti acid for reflux and a darn CPAP, I need it to prevent a future of bad health, I also have another issue that may affect my liver in the future so I will have the best chance with out the obesity . Could add a bunch of years to a life, Wow-weeee, not to mention the burdons of my size, joints pain and things, good ridence I can't wait for that.

Best luck to you all