Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Imaginary Lap Band :-)

I too think this is a great idea. I kind of did the same thing..when I went for my first LB seminar at True Results in Richardson TX, I was so excited I thought why wait....I went ahead and started researching and started chew, chew, chewing....that is still the hardest thing for me and I am approaching two years out!!!

I started out at 357 in January 2000 after my mom passed away. I seen what the weight, diabetis and such had done to her. I tried a little of everything, Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, etc etc. I made it down to 278, which is great...it just took a long time...In February of 2010 i went to seminar for True Results and the Lap Band. I have lost another 90 lbs with the band. I love it. I look forward to hearing about your success as we all continue to take this wonderful journey called life.

God Bless!

Stagegirlteeth_smile.gif

Excellent idea! I started a low calorie, low carb, high Protein diet about 6 weeks before surgery and did liquids for 3 weeks as a "test run". It was a great choice for me and helped me tremendously after surgery. My "bandster Hell" was so manageable because of this. In other words, yes this will help you after surgery and your body won't go into shock like so many others report. You have a great attitude and will do GREAT with your band.

P.S. We are not all as lucky as hummingbird who has never had to count calories or measure food with her lapband. Lucky girl!!001_smile.gif

My surgery is January 9th and I have been on my Optifast two-week pre-op diet for 6 days. I expected to feel hungry all the time and yet that hasn't happened. I do feel hungry occasionally but it seems to pass quickly and I can make it until the next meal. You get 14 grams of Protein with each of the meals and my dietician says it is the protein that helps you be full. I don't know how other shakes make you feel but Optifast seems to help me. I am amazed I haven't actually cheated a meal or two. I have lost 11 lbs as of this morning and it is very encouraging to me.

Yeah, Maddy, the shakes my surgeon wants me to drink are 11 grams of Protein...not too far off of that - but I'm an emotional eater, so I'm sure my "freak out" was as much emotional as anything else. I was hungry at times, but I know it was more than that for me.

I was surprised at my reaction, still...because I know with my head that I'm an emotional eater and I tried to keep in touch with that, but my body and subconscious weren't listening. LOL.

(PS...thanks, Highland!!) :-)

I think this is a great idea. chewing, chewing, chewing was the hardest thing for me to get. I would start out doing it, then forget and gobble!

I tried several flavors of whey Protein Powder. some I really did not like!

I had a hard time not drinking with the meal ( I'm good now!). I think that could help you a lot.

remembering Protein 1st will be easier if you start now too!

Good luck and have fun !!

FYI - I use the EAS 100% Whey Protein powder Which has 23g Protein, 3g Carb, and 130 calories. Mixed with 1 cup of skim milk you get a whopping 32g Protein, 15g carb, and 220 calories. It keeps me full and satisfied for a long time - even pre-band it worked! In my opinion, it's all about the protein! Definately keeps you full and you won't lose your hair like so many do from insufficient protein intake.

Best wishes to all starting out on their journey, and to those plugging away one day at a time!smile.png

I have actually tried parts of this also. From time to time, I do the small bites and chew, chew, chewing thing, but I tend to get impatient and just eat like normal. I will defintely keep working on this, as I know it will be a challenge for me too. I sure have to get a grip on it because I sure don't want that to lead to gettins stuck right away. I also tested myself on giving up carbonated drinks during the late summer and found that it was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I didn't have one for 6 weeks. I was quite impressed. I have a diet soda occasionally, but mostly have unsweet tea with splenda or Water. I mostly have water. That part, will be a breeze for me. I just have to get a handle on the chewing mainly. And having no water while eating will be tough one for me as well. The things we have to do in order to be healthy. :-) It will be all worth it.