Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Can Eat Everything 7 Days Post Lap Band Surgery, Is This Normal?

Hi Guys !!!

I'm super new to this forum even though I read almost every night different topics here.

I have a question...

Is it normal that I can eat everything? When I say everything I really mean everything!!!

meat, pork, chicken, rice, Beans, EVERYTHING!!!

I was banded December 16 and everything went perfect, minimal discomfort, I was on liquids 3 days, then on pureed/soft food the rest and today was the first time I ate real food, meaning rice, beans, pork, bread, sweets, EVERYTHING!!

I tried researching but no one really talks about eating normal so early in the game so please, please please! I need guidance

I see my doctor on Monday, but I am concerned that something can go bad and I don’t want to end up in the ER on Christmas day.

It is normal not to have any restriction. Doctors put very little (if any) saline in your band at the time of surgery. However, I do not have any restriction and I'm still being careful about what I eat. I suggest staying away from the sweets as much as possible and watching your serving sizes. Even though I have no restriction, I'm staying away from sweets and carbs and not over eating.

wow i too was banded on dec 16, but i'm not able to eat anything until day 14 with is Dec 30th i think. And then i'll only be able to eat fish, baked sweet potatoes , soft mashable foods...Did your Dr say that you can have all of those foods so soon?

Perhaps the protocol has changed, but I was unable to eat even a whole soda cracker at a time during the first 5-6 weeks. My first 'mushie' was a soft boiled egg at 3 weeks post op. I couldn't eat the whole thing.

I consider the volume is unusual. I'd call my dr. office TODAY if it were me to at least discuss this with them on the phone.

In fact, it took me until day 5 postOp to get to be able to drink a whole cup of tea before it cooled to room temp.

But I've got an antique 4cc Band, and had probably considerably different instructions and postOp plan from my physician.

Eating so much so soon is unusual.

From your note it seems like your doctor moves patients to solids very quickely. I think you will find most of us were on full liquids (tomato Soup vs. broth) 8 days post op. Personally I would slow things down. If you are going to have more solid foods make it egg whites, low fat cottage cheese. Please don't take this the wrong way. Even if you CAN eat something does'nt mean you should. I am at restriction and unlike some bandsters I can eat bread. I just choose not to. And let me tell you I LOVE bread. It took me 6 months to get restriction so I know all about being able to eat anything. My advice is to buy yourself a good digital kitchen scale ($20 at Target or Walmart) and start measuring your Protein. My doctor says 3oz others say 4 oz. Measure out your protein and when it's gone you are done eating. The rest of your meal should be low cal/fat veggies, and a small serving of fruit (per my nurse about the fruit so no one flame me.).

Here is the diet recommended by the American College of Surgeons for bariatric band patients:

First week: Clear Liquids and Protein Drinks.< /em>

Week 2: Protein Drink and thick liquids.

Week 3 & 4: pureed and mashed foods-oatmeal, Greek yogurt, mashed Beans, etc.

Week 5: Chopped foods

Week 6: You're home free! Just cut in small pieces and chew well.

This diet is recommended by the major bariatric medical groups.

Walking is important to prevent blood clots, and reduce effects from surgical gas

and just for exercise.

Some people in this business just for the money, don't bother with unprofitable details like this,

but it's important for healing purposes.

Here is the diet recommended by the American College of Surgeons for bariatric band patients:

First week: Clear liquids and Protein drinks.

Week 2: Protein drink and thick liquids.

Week 3 & 4: pureed and mashed foods-oatmeal, Greek yogurt, mashed Beans, etc.

Week 5: Chopped foods

Week 6: You're home free! Just cut in small pieces and chew well.

This diet is recommended by the major bariatric medical groups.

Walking is important to prevent blood clots, and reduce effects from surgical gas

and just for exercise.

Some people in this business for the money, don't bother with unprofitable details like this,

but it's important for healing purposes.

Yah, That! I have nothing else to add, except be careful, just because you can eat anything, doesn't mean you should! You should be trying to restrict yourself, until you get your 1st fill!

Thank you guys!! biggrin.gif you saved my day!

Well, I am suppose to be on pureed/soft foods until day 10 which is Monday, but maybe it’s me being a smart ass, but isn’t every food soft when you chew it to death? Of course, I don’t eat an entire serving, I am eating a quarter of what I used to, but still I am so freaked out that I can do this, and to be honest a little discouraged.

This happened at almost noon, and its 5 pm and I am still very full (which is very unusual for me). So that is very cool, and I do have a little discomfort, I don’t like to feel this full…

Btw, I forgot to ask, why is that you can’t drink before ,during and after eating? I know they say it will “wash” food down, but I am just so thirsty after eating. What happens if I do? I still cant tell if that really washes things down, since everything I am feeling is new.

My doctor says not to drink right after because it washes the food down which in turn causes the pouch to expand and I don't think thats good...

I was banded on Dec 9th and just went to my follow up. My dr said I can eat anything just to try a few test bites and chew, chew, chew with any new foods. I just am wooried because I dont feel like I have much restriction but I have been trying to watch what I eat.

It's not really a question of whether or not you could, but whether or not you should. I was moved to solids at 7 days, but with caution to cut things into eraser sized pieces and chew, chew, chew. Yes, food is mushy when chewed well, but what about the bite that you fail to chew? Someone asks you a question, and without thinking you swallow it to answer....I've done it. Then there's the piece of meat with that little bit of gristle that you didn't see. Down it goes.

Drinking while eating. A tiny sip to wet the whistle, no biggie (IMO). But as you reach restriction you might just find, as I have, that if you add a good sized drink of liquid to a filling-up pouch that it upsets things and causes a stuck episode. After once or twice of that happening, you'll find that you avoid the glass while dining.

Most surgeons add no fill or 2 CCs at the time of surgery. Most people feel no restriction as they heal. Many don't feel restriction until fill #3. The point is, you are healing. Bands are anchored down with a few stitches. You don't want your full and grinding pouch to put a lot of pressure on those stitches while they are healing and scarring over.

Take it easy and take care of your band! Best wishes!

My goodness, please be careful. you can seriously damage your pouch by eating too much or drinking while eating. I'm so upset that your doctor didn't explain this to you at all. please read this post and study up on the dangers of a dialated esophagus

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/140115-dilated-esophagus-the-dangers-of-not-following-your-drs-plan/ before you have a very serious complication

I cant believe either that you are consuming regular food and sweets of all things. Why have the surgery if you were going to eat whatever you wanted at only a week post op. Have some constraint before you do some serious damage to your surgery. Your stomach is still healing and you should not be eating whole food yet. SMDH

Wow! I was six weeks before I was allowed "normal" foods. And like others have said, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Glad to see your portions are smaller but remember to follow your dr guidelines as closely as possible if you want to achieve success.

Enjoy getting to know your band. Be careful and follow your doctor's instructions. I think every doctor has a slightly different dietary protocol.