Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower Bmi: 5'5 And 219lbs. Anyone Like Me?

I was meant to have my surgery on 1/3/2012. However, due to an ins glitch, it was pushed to the middle to the end of Jan. No big deal. I am on my own pre-op diet for now and will follow my surgeons diet two weeks before the surgery. In the past two weeks, I have been hovering between 950-1250 cal a day and have gone from 219 to 211 since Dec 8, 2011. I am happy with my progress thus far. If I can come down another 5 lbs before surgery, I think that's perfect. It's funny, I have been getting mixed reviews from people regarding the surgery. I work in a medical school and I am surrounded by physicians all day long. Some of them think i am too thin and others who really know me, think it's a great idea. I have been struggling with my weight since I was 9 years old. I have gained and lost 35+ pounds more times than I can count. This time around I lost 35 lbs and gained 70lbs putting me at 219lbs. I now have hypertension, pre-diabetic, hyperlipidemia and moderate sleep apnea. I am active. I am a yoga teacher (not teaching currently, because who wants a fat yoga teacher?lol). I bike and walk as well. It's my eating that needs to be nipped in the bud. My doc thinks that I am an excellent candidate because he doesn't have to get me off the couch to exercise and my weight loss goals are far from hefty. I don't eat bad foods, it's the volume that I have to control. Anyone else like me?

Liz

Edited by tekkababy

I am 5'4" and was about 209lbs on the day of surgery. I was overweight most of my life and struggled with losing and keeping it off.

I am now 3 and a half years post sx and I lost all my excess weight plus some. I no longer knee probs, am low risk for heart disease and diabetes, have a resting heart rate of 60 beats per second and am more active now than I have ever been in my life.

I changed my lifestyle. I did exercise, I ate well. And it worked, and it has stayed off. I now work on maintaining a healthy weight (as in not losing too much as opposed to gaining too much) and my band is loose enough that I can actually eat most things with ease.

It's ultimately your decision, but the band is an excellent option for low BMIers especially, so don't be scared to take that step.

I have a question for you both (and other low bmi'ers)... did you have any problems with excess skin? I;ve heard stories and seen pictures of people with excess skin problems, but they lost 100+ lbs. Any advice? Any exercise tips to help with skin tightening? Thanks! And you both look great!

I had excess skin problems, yes and I did before I lost weight, My tummy never bounced back from pregnancies, so I kinda knew if I lost weight that I'd have loose skin on my belly at least. I ended up having a torso lift 8 months after my lapband surgery, and a breast augmentation in Oct last year. But my underarms and thighs bounced back a lot over the last two years, and I don't have much excess skin in either of those places.

I believe that skin elasticity is a lot about genetics and age. If you're younger and your skin doesn't have as much stretch marks, your chances of the skin bouncing back are good. Ditto if you just have the sort of skin that bounces back well. Otherwise, you either roll with the punches (and even with loose skin I looked better and was healthier than when I was overweight) or look into plastic surgery.

I think I'm five foot four - 165cm anyway. I was 214 pounds when I had my surgery.

I weighed a bit less, and considered off-off label. Decided to go forward and self pay because I too have lost 40 lbs 4-5 times over the past 25 years. Tried WW (lifetime member),WL drugs like phentermine multiple cycles, and followed diet and exercise...but it always crept back on. I looked at my parent's and sister's weight problems, and the yo-yo pattern for the past decades and knew that it was time for something else. I researched on my own and decided to go forward, my mom had her lap band done about a month later ( she did have 100+ to lose), and my sister just had a sleeve plication (probably about 50 to lose) procedure done last week.

I am a year out and very glad that I went through with this. I am sure there were many that would say it was too extreme and that I just needed to exercise and have more will power. But my will power was terrible and I was ALWAYS hungry.

It would be nice if insurance lowered their criteria to a lower BMI so more people that are genetically inclined to be overweight or have other health issues could qualify.

If you have done your research and you think that this is the right thing for you, then go for it! Good luck!

I started off at 220, and am 5'6. I have seen my weight go from 160 (9th grade) to 235 (during my pregnancy in '09), to 215 the day of surgery, which was 12/30/11. I am now almost 3 months post-op, and am fluxuating between 205-207, which frustrate the living daylights out of me. Now, I know I am an emotional eater, and I am fairly sure I have allowed that to push me in the wrong direction sometimes, but this is absolutely crazy! 199 is so damn close, I can smell it... yet it eludes me :(

Pudgy Yoga Chic!!! That is G-R-E-A-T!! I should've been Pudgy Aerobics Instructor!!! You sound so much like me. I am 5'5" (just learned that today... thought I was 5'6" :o ) and weight 221. I have lost 4 pounds since taking out my loan to pay for my surgery..... totally made me lose my apatite!! hahaha My surgery is scheduled for May 25th, so I just recently joined the forum. At any rate, I have the same thing. I have told very few people what I am getting ready to do. However, I have also had a few mixed reviews. One gal was totally shocked because she didn't think that I was "fat enough" (seriously, how friggin' fat do you really "need" to be, right?). The other persont that I told thought it was great. The 3rd and final person didn't think I was "fat enough", but still thought it was great. I just found out that my family doctor is pro-lap band, however. That made me feel a lot better about my choice. He was totally on board with the whole thing. I do feel "little", however when I look and see that some people have lost almost as much as I currently weigh. It makes me feel lucky to still be hovering on that line between obese and morbidly obese..... :blink:

SKIN!!! Totally forgot to comment on that!!!

I was 130 before I got pregnant with my first daughter. I gained about 100 pounds while I was pregnant and only managed to lose about 40 of that. I had a huge flap of skin for a stomach.... something the doctor called an "apron". At any rate, I had to have it removed for health reasons (infections in the skin and gross stuff like that). I am much heavier now than I was then, and I STILL have hanging bits of skin here and there. I think that whomever it was that said it previously is bang-on about it being a genetic thing. I have really crappy skin..... My sister-in-law is larger than me and has also had 2 kids. She doesn't have a single stretch mark on her entire body!!! If she lost a bunch of weight I bet she would still have nice tight skin..... I'm totally jealous of people with skin like that..... :(

I am 5 foot 3 inches and was 227 lbs before surgery- I was on the border line of the lowest bmi- i had no health problems yet- the doctor thought I was a great canidate because I was over weight- but not too much.. it's been 2 months and I am down to 205lbs. -- It's amazing how that little weight can make someone feel so much different.. I think even Lower Bmi's are great for the surgery because you don't lose it too fast!

I am 5'4" ,weigh 210 and my surgery is scheduled for 8/1. I too sometimes get the crazy looks when I say I am getting lap band surgery. I started this journey weighing 238 and I have several comorbidities. Already my blood pressure medicine has been reduced to 1/2. I can't wait to see what life after lap band brings! :D

Im 5'3" and I weigh 185, my BMI is around 32 give or take a little. I am self-pay of course, the US hasn't quite caught up with the FDA's lowering of the Bmi qualifications to 30 to have surgery yet..

I was 165 BMI of 30 when I had mine!!! My goal is 115 and this morning I weighed 133.8:)

18.8 lbs to go!! Hopefully by Christmas.....

I just had my surgery on may 23 2012. I started at 217 lbs and am at 180. A little over 35lbs in 9 and a half weeks. I still have forty five to fifty lbs till my goal but am hopefull. I am five foot four and would like to be 130-135 lbs. My first fill was on August 1st and just got 5cc put in and it has jump started my weight loss again. I dont think Im in the green zone yet but am finally feeling restriction. I know if I excersized regularly and made heathier choices it probally would come off quicker but as far as my will power it kinda sucks for the most part I eat healthier but if I want to eat a slice of pizza I want to be able too. I havent excersized a whole lot because of my athma and my joints still hurt. I belive its an excellent tool for lower bmiers. Thus far besides not really drinking soda any more and picking things with reduced fat or fat free lables honestly I havent had to change much. Im sure once I get closer to goal it will be tougher but thats okay its a good tool though.

Sounds like you're doing awesome... I'm at 180lbs havent' had surgery yet, my goall weight is 120-125lbs