Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Days Of Work Did You Miss after Lap band Surgery?

I am getting Banded January 11 and I am very excited. I was told I only needed 3 days of recovery but I am curious on how many days it took for most of you to recover and felt fine going back to work.

i had surgery friday december 16th and returned to work tuesday december 20th...i have a desk job so its not so bad

Thanks you JamesMom, I am having surgery on a Wednesday and was hoping I could be back to work on Monday.. I have a desk job too!

I just got mine done on the 20th and am going back to work tomorrow the 22nd.

I feel fine not sore at all. I did my surgery ant 9:00 am and was released at noon. I felt good enough that I went Christmas shopping with my wife afterwards. I was really scared before surgery that I did not take enough time off. I think the only thing that is going to bother me is the lack of calories because I’m still on all liquids. Hard to get enough in so I don’t feel run down. I hope yours goes as good as mine did good luck.

I am also a desk jockey and took two full weeks off. It wasn't the surgery itself but the effect of the anaesthetic that slowed me right down.

AJ210, I am so hoping mine goes as good as yours. Thanks for the info.

Sage Tracey, I wanted to take two weeks but I really dont have the time. Hopefully I can bounce back quick from my anesthesia. My co-workers and Boss are VERY excited for me so if I have to take a couple of more days I know it will be ok.

I am a school teacher. I am up on my feet most of the day and I am required to do lots walking. My husband and I agreed that I should take two weeks to make sure I was able to handle all the activity my job requires. I felt I was 95% when I went back 2 1/2 weeks later. Everyone is different...I wish you the best!

My surgery is Jan 30 and I have a post op appt exactly one week after. I have a desk job by day, and waitress a few nights, so I am taking off 6-7 work days, with the weekends that comes to 8-9 days. If I don't need .all the time to rest, I will take walks and concentrate on my nutrition, and will fully enjoy my time off...since I'm usually so busy with work, it will be nice to have aome ME time!

I was banded on the 13th and went back to work on the 19th. IMO, 6 days just wasn't enough as the anesthesia kicked my butt. I was in the hospital for 40 hours. You people who go back to work after just a few days are beasts! I have a desk job too, but man.... it's been rough! (I'm a pansy though.) Good luck!

I had my surgery outpatient on a Wednesday morning, and was back at work on Monday. I also work behind a desk, but I have to lift boxes of files and still had no problems.

I had my surgery Dec 13th, I was in the hospital till the next day around noon....I felt a little rough the first 2 days but by Friday Dec 16th I went to my husbands Christmas party and went to work on Sunday Dec 18th. I work at a person care home as a med tech.

wow i don't know how some of you can go to work a few days after being banded. I was banded on Dec 16th and today was the 1st day I felt pretty good, but still not good enough to go to work. I have no energy and i'm sore and also had terrible gas pains.. As Lanie said on a previous post, you guys are beasts...high 5's to ya....i have my post op apt on the 28th i'm sure he'll release me to go back to work.

I was banded on a Saturday and went back to work on the Monday. I am a teacher so I found moving around helped. I didnt even tell my work I had the band done!

My physician required 2 weeks. I work in healthcare and the hospital I work at gave me 6 weeks, so I took it =) I have decent short term disability, but if I didn't, I could have went back in a week if that.

I was in a half siting half standing work position and took off 2 days and it was hard but enough. Gotta make that money.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches