Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having The Lap Band Put On 12/13/11

Hi guys, my name is Jamie and I am 30 years old. I am from Lincoln, Nebraska, and currently live in Satellite Beach, FL. I have been struggling with my weight as long as I can remember. I made the decision to do this for myself and my family. I am married to a wonderful man, Brian, who is in the Air Force, and we have four beautiful daughters- Kayla 11, Isabelle 7, Madilyn 2, and Zoe 1. I am done having kids now, so there are no more excuses for me not to loose the pounds. My husband has a hard time with his annual PT tests, and our 11 year old is going down the same path I did as a child, so I am hoping that by changing my lifestyle, it will reflect on my family as well. I just started the 14 day pre op diet yesterday, and am dying....I am really hoping that it gets easier. The all liquid diet thing is making me hungry, and as much as I try, the shakes do NOT taste like cupcakes. I keep telling myself that it is all worth it in the end....but that doesnt make me want sweets or carbs any less. I hate fish too, so that is something else that I am trying to come to terms with. Also, I am not a fan of sweating, so that will be an adjustment as well. I am fortunate enough to have access to the Base gym for free....now I just need to start going. My surgery is scheduled for December 13 (right before Christmas...UGH) with Dr Nathan Allison at the VIera Hospital. I hope that this journey gets easier...

Good luck my date is 12/21,my hubby is having his in feb, 2012.keep us posted!

Congratulations, the best of luck.

Tracey Sher

Hi there! I'm also getting banded on the 13th!! I am 33 and a mother of four, one daughter and 3 boys. I am so excited for my surgery date!!! I am not sure what to expect as far as weight loss goes. I am hoping to lose at least 10 pounds before New Years but I hear that might happen.

Good Luck:)

The best of luck to you!! I'm being banded on the 15th so I'll be anxious to hear how your surgery went!! Keep us fellow December bandsters posted! :)

I'm getting my band on the 16th and am currently struggling on this liquid diet. Its torture, LOL.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I am getting banded on the 13th also. I started my liquid diet last Tuesday, Nov 29th. It hasn't been easy but it has not been terrible either. I actually started watching what I was eating the week before Thanksgiving. I have lost 17 lbs so far. This is encouraging to me. I am 50 years old and I have had my ups and downs with my weight. It really ballooned 4 years ago. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer and had a bilateral mastectomy followed by chemo and radiation and aprox 12 reconstructive surgeries. I gained 30 lbs during chemo partially due to the steriods they give you during chemo and then packed on an additional 40 lbs just eating anything and everything because I could. I was happy to be alive and loving life. Then when I finally stopped and got a grip on it, I could not find any diet that I could follow for more than a few days. I could not get my appetite under control. I am soooo ready to get a grip on this and nip it in the but once and for all. I wish you much luck with your weight loss journey and I will be following your progress.

Good luck to all...this is the best thing I ever did for myself! Getting the hang of the band is a bit of a struggle but now that I am cruising in maintenance its actually pretty easy. I self payed and I would even do it all over again! I just really had to realize that every diet I did over almost 20 years actually ended up putting a few more pounds on!

I have never dieted or exercised, I just eat less but regular food. I wear a size 6.Sometimes I still start to suck my gut in to zip my jeans but there is no gut there!

The liquid diet is really the hardest part. It does get easier after a few days. Everytime I wanted to give up I just thought of my sweet baby boy and the possibility that he may not have a mommy if I continued on the path I was taking..that was enoug to keep me on track! Good luck!

Congrats to all of you that are about to be banded. Best thing I have ever done for myself. I have lost 44 pounds since 9-1-11 and my huband about the same and my son like 12 pounds but I was the only one banded. But if Mom eats different the whole house pretty much does because I do the cooking and shopping. Nobody is complaining though. As far as the pre op diet goes it does not get easier but you have to keep your eye on the prize. It is worth it I promise.

Hi Jaime, I too will be banded on the 13th of December!! Banane42.gif I am looking forward to it!

This liquid diet isn't the greatest but well, it's got to be done so I'm getting through it.

For the others who've posted who've already been banded, thanks for the inspiration!! I KNOW I can do this! I'm also hopeful with the support here....it will be that much easier! Thank you!

Best of luck to you, I will be banded on the 16th but I didn't have to do the all liquid diet...THANK GOD!! I can eat one lean meal a day and the day before surgery all liquid. I'm really excited to start this new journey but i'm getting a bit nervous, woke up this morning with a bit of anxiety.

Good luck on Tuesday I too am having surgery that day. I have been on 3 shakes a day plus 3oz of Protein 2 cups of veggies and 2 cups of salad w/lite dressing twice a day so the diet hasn't been that bad. I have lost 10 puonds and only started the diet on the 29th of Nov. Keep us all posted on how you do

Congrats on getting your lap band. I got mine on December 8th and it does take a lot of internal strength to get through the liquid diet. It is well worth it in the long run (that's what I keep telling myself)! My son is leaving in February to go to Basic Training in the Air Force and he will be gone for 3 months. I would like to surprise him when he comes back by losing some weight. I have been heavy my whole life and obesity runs in my family. I lost 10 lbs in my pre-surgery diet and I am now 235 lbs. My husband has been very supportive and we cash paid for the surgery. I don't enjoy exercising or sweating, but I have been told once you get into the routine you crave exercise. Good luck on your journey and keep us posted!

Fellow banders,

Has anyone else experienced this... I've had dozens of family and friends tell me to "eat it up" while I can before my surgery. Others criticize me for having it done before a holiday because I will be excluded from family meals. But food is what got me into this situation in the first place. I have been avoiding family get togethers because of the negative comments I've been getting.

Any thoughts?

Windy