Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Hate Exercise! Need Suggestions!

I absolutely hate to exercise; it is the most boring thing in the world to me. I was banded on October 19th and I go for my first fill on November 30th. I know they are going to clear me for exercise and I need to start integrating it into my life. I am a single mom (3-year-old daughter), I work full time, have a vary small business on the side, and I am working on my Master's Degree. I need some creative ways to integrate exercise into my life and I need some fun suggestions on what activities I can do so it is not so boring.

Fellow bandsters, I need your help!

Thanks!

welcome to the i hate exercise club! to this day i hate exercise! however, i do it and i have learned to make it tolerable.

1) i listen to music while i am exercising

2) i started out walking. walk at your breaks when at work, park at the end of the parking lot and walk to your destination, if you can walk to the near by stores from your house, if you go to the local park walk around the park, dance around the house, i even walked around the house. I moved every hour or so. remember you don't have to exercise all at once, get it in in spurts.

3) explore what works for you

4) set your time and days up, don't talk your self out of it, just do it

5) I get up an hour earlier to get my exercise in...

congrats on being banded and facing your exercise demon.

thisisme,

Thank you for the suggestions and the encouragement! I am going to need all the encouragement I can get.

I do Zumba find a good instructor I love it so much when I first started I could barely make it through an hour now its pretty easy it's fun sexy and judgement free try it I promise you will love it

My mother bought me the Zumba home exercise program but I haven't tried it yet. I just have to set aside a regular time for it since my time is so limited I have to try to figure out when I am going to do it.

How about working out in a Heated Pool, and maybe some Equipment.

That's what I do. I contacted a couple of Physical Therapy places, and a lot of them are renting out there Gym for a fee. I pay $25.00 a month, and NO ! Contract to worry about.

It's a thought.

I looked into it, and it is available.

Anything to make extra Money.

Give it a thought.

check your local community centers, usually they have very low fees and end up being great places to go to. Join a walking club, the whole "I don't have time" thing is a cop-out. Stop using it! I have 2 boys and work an hour away from my home. So that's 2+ hours of driving on top the 8+ hours of working. Then it's helping the kids and cooking dinner since my wife works 2 jobs and is almost never home. I find time, because there IS time. Instead of sitting down and just catching up on a few hours of tv. Get outside and walk, find a local bike path or walking trail, explore! Get a small stationary bike and set that in your living room, ride it whenever you are watching tv. Look into getting a step tracker like the Fitbit. It's amazing how much calories you actually burn when you don't realize it, like stated above, park farther away, walk around the office, on your 15 min breaks, don't just sit there or go for a coffee and donut, go walk around the building, inside or out. Take a few flights of stairs rather than the elevator the whole way. Walk down the stairs after work. Every little bit of effort, which might seem trivial at first adds up. I'm burning on average 3500 calories a day now, and only consuming 1300. So right now, I'm dropping one pound of fat every 2 days or so. It really is amazing when you can track every bit of movement each day, it will show that small adjustments, make big steps forwards!

Find something fun to do with your kid, take them walking with you, do nature hikes, kids LOVE that and it gets you out and moving!

Good luck and Stay Strong!

Mattz I hear you. I also work an hour from home so I don't get to the gym until at least 6:30. I often don't get home until 8:30-9:00.

Personally I swim. Keep in mind when I started I would have told you I hated swimming. First of all I have terrible chlorine allergies; and get ear infections at the drop of a hat. I use a snorkle (so no Water in my eyes or nose); and attach a Water proof MP3 player. Makes all the difference in the world.

Many gyms today have TV's on each machine which helps with the boredom.

How about a Mommy and Me exercise class? That way you save on babysitting, have bonding time and it would be fun for you and good for your daughter as well!

Thanks for all of the suggestions and support. I didn't say I wouldn't get it into my lifestyle, I said it would be difficult. I have never let difficult stop me; if I did, I would not be working on my Master's Degree right now. I probably would have given up when I was working on my AA degree. I follow the quote from Tommy Lasorda in my signature line and make what I would have most likely thought of as impossible possible.

Thanks again,

Hi All,

My name is Stephanie and I am hopefully going to be banded this December. I Have finished everything just waiting on the insurance.

So far I have lost over 15 pounds doing WALK AWAY THE POUNDS with Leslie Sansone. You can find her videos at Wal Mart. I am somebody who hated exercise so much....was never ever motivated to do it...but I actually look forward to doing this one. Its a walking in place DVD where you do arm and leg movements. I feel my muscles tightening and my body has toned up so much already. I do the 2 mile everyday, and some days I even do the 4 and 5 mile vids. The 2 mile is done in 30 minutes, and the 4 is almost an hour. I really do love it and suggest you try it..I tried Zumba with a family member and I had the worst time trying to keep up with the moves....There is just no way I'd be able to do that....esp. for someone who weighs 315 pounds...its wayyy too fast pace and the moves are way too complicated for me. Which is why I love Walk Away The Pounds...its simple, you don't have to learn and try to keep up with all kinds of different moves, and most of all, its very effective.

In her older vids she would have you use Weighted balls with some of the work out, which work really great but in the newer ones she has you use a stretchy band..I suggest getting the weighted balls because they work awesomely and make the work out more intense.

Good Luck though, Debora, I hope you try it, because its the perfect work out for me, and actually made me motivated to do it every day because its fun and I love it!

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that she starts you off slow, which I think is the key to sticking with it, and is why I've had success. I started off doing the one mile every day for about two weeks until that wasn't enough for me anymore. And you will too if you start off the right way.

In every workout she starts you off slow and then leads you up to higher pace, and eventually goes back down to the cool down period. I think its genius. I hope at least some of you take my advice and try it, because I don't know about you but I'm terrified of loose skin so I'm going to try my damn hardest to work my ass off after I get the lap band put in.

I think when you start off doing wayy too much, it turns you off from ever doing it again. Just my two cents!

Oh and the best part about this for you mothers with your own businesses and work, who don't have time to go to the gym, you can just pop this in at home and in half an hour get a great work out in! I'm telling you please try it!!!! You'll love it!!! regular_smile.gif

I hated exercise at first too. After surgery last Feb, I said I promised myself that I would commit to at least 30 minutes per day, like it or not. At first it was a struggle. Then I put some good 80's music on my iphone and would head out. I missed a couple of days and found that I really missed it. That was odd for me to say. Then I found myself only doing the minimum of what I could just so I could say I did it. It was not until I started seeing more results that I started uping my efforts. I'm down 65 lbs now since Feb 23 and the last couple of weeks I stalled out. It really made me frustrated to see my efforts not moving the scales. Then everyone wants to tell me how I am making muscle and blah blah, blah, you no the drill. About two weeks ago, my husband's best friend made a statement that really made a lot of difference in my workouts. We were lifting weights and he said "soreness is a sign that weakness is leaving your body". I never looked at it that way because I had so few muscles that I hated being sore. Now, I have really been trying to up more workouts and when I get tired and I want to quit, I just remind myself that the weakness is leaving and strength is taking it's place. I've also had a victory in this too because my husband could used to easily outwalk me. He's 6'2" and I'm only 5'1". Now I can walk faster than he can and I'm not winded anymore. I've also been playing badmitton and jogging every day. I'm finding that is a great stress reliever. Hope you find what works for ya sunshine.

Thanks to everyone, I am making notes of everything because I think that too much of one thing will get boring. If I get bored with one thing I can switch to another.

Thanks again!