Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you, or will you ever, feel 'normal'?

Newbie here. I have scoured the posts on this board. It has almost an addictive quality as I'm trying to absorb as much info as possible and make a good decision.

One big question:

I've read so much of irritating foods, PBing, fills, slime-ing and other unsavory side effects. I understand that can be the risk you take. But is that forever? Do you reach a point where you can comfortably eat, dare I say, like 'normal'. (I don't mean big portions, I mean the freedom to enjoy regular food in smaller quantities). Can you go to Starbucks now and then? Maybe have some Indian food? Have something a little exotic on vacation? I'm not looking to go back to my over-indulgent ways -- just wanting to be a part of many social events which include food without having to obsess over what I can or can't eat. Be honest in you replies. Please know the I understand the need for healthy choices, however, I have suffered with the diet mentality for years and I want to feel like I can be freed of the 'bad vs. good' food obsession.

Another question:

Does banded fullness feel like unbanded fullness? Is it a 'fake' full? Or is it just like, 'yep, I'm full'. Meaning, I have read people talk about a tightness or a throat fullness. Is that what the band provides? Or is it a genuine sense of being full and not needing to eat anymore. That is what I would like...to simply be satisfied with less food.

Thanks - this forum is great!

You're gonna get a lot of different answers here, since everyone is different, has different levels of fills and all that. Yes, for me, I feel normal. Every now and then, if I eat too fast, eat too big of a bite, or just don't chew enough, I'll get the golfball feeling; no PBs or slimes for me, as of yet. I enjoy social occasions with food, and the benefit is, I just get a little of what I really want. No wasting space on junk that's just so-so. I don't think of buffets as a waste of money, because I just enjoy the parts I have, and it's worth the $$ not to cram myself full of junk, just the things I really enjoy. I go to Starbucks sometimes, too...I love a good hazelnut mocha! I'm not big on Indian food, but I go to Mexican restaurants, and have a little of an enchilada, tortilla Soup, nachos, whatever I feel like....I don't finish my plate, but my DH is happy to help! I totally understand your feelings on getting rid of the "bad vs. good" food mentality, and one thing I've done to help me with it, is to observe how my slender, normal friends eat. They eat all kinds of things on occasion, but not every day, like I used to. They also do physical activities, most of them run. I am no runner, but I know I need to get more exercise. You are in charge of how your band works for you...so get all our feedback, and take from it what you think fits for you...and experience will be the best teacher for you! Good luck, and you asked a really good question! Cindy

But is that forever? Do you reach a point where you can comfortably eat, dare I say, like 'normal'. (I don't mean big portions, I mean the freedom to enjoy regular food in smaller quantities). Can you go to Starbucks now and then? Maybe have some Indian food? Have something a little exotic on vacation?

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!!! Absolutelly yes. The thing is learning HOW to be normal with a band. My old normal meant eating at a buffet, say, but taking enough of each item to make a whole meal out of. Now buffets mean taking one small spoonful of each. It takes time to really change enough to accept this new normal, physically and mentally, and that's where everyone varies. There's a definite learning curve, but it does happen.

And hell, I've been going to Starbucks since two weeks after banding. Why on earth not? :)

Does banded fullness feel like unbanded fullness? Is it a 'fake' full? Or is it just like, 'yep, I'm full'. Meaning, I have read people talk about a tightness or a throat fullness. Is that what the band provides? Or is it a genuine sense of being full and not needing to eat anymore. That is what I would like...to simply be satisfied with less food.

Again, this is a learning process. Early on, there were loads of situations where my band told me I was "done" but I didn't feel "full" in the old sense of the word. Those were tough sometimes, I won't deny it. But after a year or so those situations became less and less common, and now the vast majority of the time I'm perfectly content to be done when I'm done. If not, I know I just have the munchies and I can either choose to indulge them or choose not to.

The brilliant thing is having that knowledge and that control. That's my normal now. :biggrin1:

Welcome to LBT!

Yes, I even forget at times that I am banded. Yesterday I went to the store and while I was there someone handed me a piece of bread with spinach topping on it. Now, I haven't eaten bread since I was banded, and without thinking I took a big bite out of it chewed it well and swallowed it. Then I took another bite and it dawned on me what I had done! So, yes, you will get to a point that you forget and feel normal.

I have times that I take one too many bites and I feel really full, other times I just feel comfortable. It really is a feeling you will get use to in time.

Hi, this is my sentiment about "normalcy" - yes, you get to where you feel normal, because this becomes your new norm. Probably the only thing that will ever be not normal, is this: YOU CANNOT CHUG Water, or anything else, for that matter. So, those days of playing football, or whatever, then grabbing a bottle of Water and chugging it down are gone forever. You become a sipper, not a chugger. No big loss there. If you DO chug something, it will essentially just squirt back in your throat about 5 seconds later and you realize there is no point at all to it, and that you might as well just be kind to your band.

I also noticed that when everything is settled down, and the band is about ready to be re-tightened, everything goes through, and there is little chance of getting plugged or PB-ing. So in those times, its as normal as could be. Then you trudge back down to the doc, and get another fill, and it takes you a couple of weeks to adjust to the newly tightened band, and to refamiliarize yourself with how to eat, even more prudently. And then the weight continues to fall, and you feel like a million bucks.

In my most frustrated times, I have remarked to my family in self pity "I think I wrecked my ability to eat" - and then it occurs to me what a blessing it is, because my previous ability to eat abundantly is what put me here. I am so thankful for this band.

Good luck! :rockon:

I'm not all that experienced yet.... but I am back on well chewed solid foods and seem to be having very little problem. I had one episode with some really dry salmon and chicken that I guess I just couldn't chew up well enough. Betty gave good advice about keeping something like ranch dressing or other "saucy" kind of something to go with meats like this and that seems to have helped alot. I just notice that now although I can eat virtually the same foods as before, I eat WAY slower than I used to, so I seem to get full faster I suppose and I eat substantially less than I used to. I went out of town for work last week and ate at many buffets - just chose foods a little more wisely since the salmon/chicken incident. I'm off for my first fill next week, so time will tell how that goes. Best of luck to you! Not to worry!

I only have a 1 cc fill but so far everything is normal. There's nothing that I can't eat (at this point I do eat alot..still waiting to hit that sweet spot :) )

I felt normal within a week or so after surgery. It was truly an unbelievable experience. I woke up one morning and I dint' have any gas pains, discomfort ...nothing. I acutally thought something was terribly wrong. Sent my patient coordinator all sorts of emails because I was certian my band has slipped or something.

Well, I have lost 15 lbs so far, all effortlessly.I just went to the gym for the first time since being banded yesterday. That was great Can't wait to get back because somehow I know this time will be different.

I am capable of eating whatever I want. I often forget I am banded. The only good thing is I have been working on making conscious decisons about what I eat. This helped somewhat in making good choices, but bottom line is I feel as I did prior to the procedure. I have 1.5 cc placed at the time of surgery becuase there wasn't any fat around my stomach and the band would not fit. I don't plan to get a fill. My band has proven to be a great tool because I don't feel hungry as often. It has somehow addressed my cravings for carbs (chocolate, candy, bread, Pasta, rice and yuca).I figure if I just start the exercing I should continue to see good results.

Lisa

Hi ,

Banded life is pretty normal after almost 2 years and 7 months of practice. I rarely ever have any issues at all, an occasional golfball to remind me I am eating too fast or too much, but generally speaking, my portions are smaller, I almost never finish a plate of food and I can eat everything including bread, steak and chicken in limited quantities.

The sensation of fullness is different for everyone. I eat about 6-8 oz of food and it seems that when I reach this point, I am satisfied, I start to get the tightness in my chest or food seems to uncomfortable to eat anymore and then I stop. I usually try to stop before this feeling, but sometimes its hard to do because I like what I am eating. I notice if I sit too long, I am prone to overeat, so I try to get up and do something else after about 15 minutes at the table. If I eat too long, I get that really full feeling, stuffed and I hate that feeling so I dont indulge past 6-8 oz of food. I DO notice what folks eat now and find that portions are really big and I still have guilt about throwing food away.

Regarding eating out in restaurants, I do go to buffets and all kinds of restaurants, enjoy them immensely, stick to the meat, fish and Protein, salad bar and veggies and eat a small dessert . Having the band is not a death sentence. I probably eat more than most bandsters do, but I have done well with a looser band until as of late. I need a fill and I am scheduled to go in and get one next week to get myself on track.

Dont worry. YOu will feel so much more in control of your eating with the band.

Babs in TX

334/180ish

-150 ish

I never really felt "normal" as far as normal-eating-people do. The band forces you to eat really slow, so I was constantly left behind at the table to finish meals all alone. When I went out to eat, I'd barely get a couple bites before everyone else was paying the bill and leaving. Everything had to be eaten as leftovers if my husband didn't get to them first, which he always did. Maybe if you eat with only bandsters who all eat at the same pace!! But you'll eventually be able to eat just about any choice you want. I was always jealous of the bandsters who had spouses or partners willing to split a meal in half. That would be perfect.

Welcome! Nice to meet you! I'm having the same experiences in eating that DeLarla did. At least I am now. I just had a really tight fill. But before this last fill, I could pretty much eat normally, just a little slower. I think it has a lot to do with how tight your fill is. Good luck to you!

My ideas to normal have completely changed. I look at what people eat and can't believe how huge portions are at resturants.

You learn real quick what you can and can't eat. I know that bread is a no-no in general for me. But I also know that I can tolerate a bite of just about anything to fulfill a craving.

I've been on this ride for 6 months now and lost 70lbs, it's worth a little lifestyle adjustment to me.

Best of luck to ya!