Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 days post op!! Loving this already!!

That is strange about the reflux! It must be because your nervous... I was not nervous at all..I think I was just done so I wasnt worried. I had my surgery on a Wendsday and was back to work the next Monday. I did stay home the next day though.. Too much too soon I guess...I also had a reaction to the glue on my skin that they closed the insicions with. Other than that I have had no problems. It has been fairly painless for me too.. I do have pain around my port location but thats really all. Gas wasnt as painful as I heard it would be butit is there!! I really didnt wake my self up to drink in the middle of the night and I havent really had a problem getting fluids in.. I am having a little more trouble today with getting mushie things down. It feels kinda like thers something stuck even when I eaat applesauce... So its all something new every day!:) There is a lot of burping thats for sure! Hopefully this helped! feel free to ask me anything you like!:D

Yes, my surgery is very soon and I am starting to get a bit nervous but its an excited nervousness. I have noticed lately that my reflux has really flared up, maybe its because of the new stress of the surgery. It started the day after I found out I was approved by my insurance. How weird is that? lol My husband says its stress related. Are you back to work yet or are you still on your medical leave? Think of it this way, you will save tons of money in grocery bills but you will spend lots of money on new clothes hahaha! I guess it evens itself out LOL.

Have you experienced any problems so far? I am more worried about the first few days with being able to get enough rest. I was told that you need to drink 1-2 ounces hourly, how am I going to get adequate sleep if I have to wake myself hourly to drink? I have 2 new puppies at home so sleep is pretty minimal anyway. Are you able to drink more than 1-2 ounces hourly? I am a big Water drinker and worried about me being thirsty from the soreness of my throat from anesthesia. I will probably eat tons of Popsicles the first few days anyways.

Any advice on what your experience has been would be very helpful :)

That is strange about the reflux! It must be because your nervous... I was not nervous at all..I think I was just done so I wasnt worried. I had my surgery on a Wendsday and was back to work the next Monday. I did stay home the next day though.. Too much too soon I guess...I also had a reaction to the glue on my skin that they closed the insicions with. Other than that I have had no problems. It has been fairly painless for me too.. I do have pain around my port location but thats really all. Gas wasnt as painful as I heard it would be butit is there!! I really didnt wake my self up to drink in the middle of the night and I havent really had a problem getting fluids in.. I am having a little more trouble today with getting mushie things down. It feels kinda like thers something stuck even when I eaat applesauce... So its all something new every day!:) There is a lot of burping thats for sure! Hopefully this helped! feel free to ask me anything you like!:D

Thank you that is very helpful. I wonder if the burping will eventually get better for you. I am a nurse and I would be completely embarrassed when I go to assess my patients and I am burping when I can't really control that LOL. I am looking forward to brushing my teeth and showering after surgery, and of course sleeping which I haven't had much of that due to 2 new puppies lol Silly huh? lol

I am planning on taking almost 3 weeks off due to the physical part of my job, my boss wasn't happy about that and had some issues trying to get the time off but I got it worked out through HR.

Most of the patients I have taken care of post-op Lap-cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal laparoscopically), has the same gas pains and we make them get up and walk to help expel the gas. Most of the time they don't want to get out of bed due to the pain, but I tell them that they will feel much better if they just get up and walk.

My husband is going to make thanksgiving dinner tomorrow since I won't get to eat it for Thanksgiving this year because I will be on full liquids and mushies around that time. He is so sweet.

I wonder if you are feeling the stuck feeling due to the band still healing and maybe there is still some swelling? When do you go see your surgeon again?

What kind of reaction did you get to the glue? Was it Dermabond?

I was really worried about the Fluid thing mainly because I am a big Water drinker and my mouth gets so dry especially when I am working and in the winter time when the heat is on in the house, the dry air makes it worse.

I am a bit worried though about coughing alot post op. I have asthma and usually anesthesia wreaks havoc on my lungs. I am planning on taking my inhaler and ask them for a breathing treatment in PACU. My pillow will be right with me too to help with splinting my incision when I cough. I go tomorrow to get my labs drawn.

Where did they put your port? I asked my surgeon where he was going to place mine and he said he is going to place it 2 inches left of my belly button and 2 inches up from there. I just hope it isn't on my panty line or where the top of my jeans sit because that could be uncomfortable. I hear of some people getting them placed really high which some have complained about it sticking out after they lose alot of weight. If that does happen, surgeons can switch it out with a low-profile port.

I am going to start lifting weights and do strength training as soon as my surgeon says its ok. I want to try and tone up my muscles the best I can in my arms, legs and lower abs so I can reduce the loose skin that I will have.

What kind of Protein shake are you using?

Sorry with all the questions, I keep thinking of things as I am typing LOL

Hopefully your band will relax so that you can slowly advance your diet to real food. I am so excited for you!:D

So a question regarding gas... does it go away? I know that the regular gastric bipass causes horrible gas that will clear out a room!!!! I was wondering if the same applies to lapband.

www.myshakeology.com/sunshine412

This is the shake I am using to loose weight. It has a million different Vitamins, minerals and antioxidents and it is very tasty.... my Dr. said I can drink this instead of taking vitamins!!!!! It is probably the healthiest thing you can drink....

Hello - I started mushies today so I thought I'd help out and answer your questions as well.

1. What you are eating? - Today for lunch I had 2 turkey meatballs (mashed) and 1/2 cup of mashed potatos, i ate the whole thing with no problem ( I have ZERO restriction)

2. What you are drinking and if you can drink diet soda? - I drink Crystal light 24/7 - no sodas. My doc said it stretching your pouch is a bunch of balogna since it just slides through the band but it's empty calories and carbonation gives you bad gas.

3. What kind of Vitamins are you on and do you have any problems keeping them down? I take the Flintstones gummies, 2/day. I have no problem getting them down,even from day one. Some people have restriction right off the bat though, I didn't.

4. How often do you eat and can you tell me about how much you can eat at one setting? EX.. 1/4 or 1/2 cup of food? I eat 3xs/day (well drink Protein for bfast, eat for lunch and dinner), my lunch today was about 4 oz.

5. Any pain from the surgery and how long did the pain last if any? Very painful the first 3 days, but with good pain meds you'll be okay. I started to feel much better 4-5 days out until I bent over and squashed my insides (port area), but I still can't sleep on my stomach.

6. Do you feel hungry? I started to get my appetite back during the puree stage, but since lunch today, I am full and very satisfied

7. Was there a period before surgery that you had a limited diet and if so what? Yes, i had 2 weeks liquids. Protein drinks 2x/day and for dinner, 4oz of lean meat and 1 cup of veggies

Hi I am 2 + Years out, I see a lot of comments about gas! Purchase chewable Gas X prior to getting banded and chew one when you get home. Gas is only a issue for a few days but it can feel like chest pain!, Pain in between your shoulders etc, It comes from the gas they use to pump up your abdomen during the surgery.

Regards

ROSS

The gas comes everytime I eat or drink really... Its something I think I have to get used to... I havent cleared a room yet but its still early :P

So a question regarding gas... does it go away? I know that the regular gastric bipass causes horrible gas that will clear out a room!!!! I was wondering if the same applies to lapband.

I did get gas x and it does help but it still is there.. not painful gas.. just gas from eating or drinking!

Hi I am 2 + Years out, I see a lot of comments about gas! Purchase chewable Gas X prior to getting banded and chew one when you get home. Gas is only a issue for a few days but it can feel like chest pain!, Pain in between your shoulders etc, It comes from the gas they use to pump up your abdomen during the surgery.

Regards

ROSS

Sorry it took so long to get back to you! I have been busy!

How was your post op Thanksgiving? I am getting my fill 2 days before thanksgiving so I will be on liquids... I have actually hadf a PB puke.. it was my fault I ate a pice of chicken and it got stuck... No skin allowed! So the glue was dermabong and I got hives under each incision and the itching and swelling were bad but its better now. I actually had a cold and cough the day of surgery and when I woke it was gone! My port was put well above my pant line on the left side. its between the pant line and bra line... No rubbing on anything.. I have bumped it a few times and that hurts... My moms port sticks out but nothing too bad.. As for shakes I was just using Ultra slim fast...only 10 grams though...

I was stuck for a whole week at 19lbs and finally broke that to hit 20 lbs.. So transitioning from liquids to mushies slowed it for a bit! Cant wait to hear about your surgery!! Good luck with everything!! You are gonna love it!:D

Thank you that is very helpful. I wonder if the burping will eventually get better for you. I am a nurse and I would be completely embarrassed when I go to assess my patients and I am burping when I can't really control that LOL. I am looking forward to brushing my teeth and showering after surgery, and of course sleeping which I haven't had much of that due to 2 new puppies lol Silly huh? lol

I am planning on taking almost 3 weeks off due to the physical part of my job, my boss wasn't happy about that and had some issues trying to get the time off but I got it worked out through HR.

Most of the patients I have taken care of post-op Lap-cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal laparoscopically), has the same gas pains and we make them get up and walk to help expel the gas. Most of the time they don't want to get out of bed due to the pain, but I tell them that they will feel much better if they just get up and walk.

My husband is going to make thanksgiving dinner tomorrow since I won't get to eat it for Thanksgiving this year because I will be on full liquids and mushies around that time. He is so sweet.

I wonder if you are feeling the stuck feeling due to the band still healing and maybe there is still some swelling? When do you go see your surgeon again?

What kind of reaction did you get to the glue? Was it Dermabond?

I was really worried about the Fluid thing mainly because I am a big Water drinker and my mouth gets so dry especially when I am working and in the winter time when the heat is on in the house, the dry air makes it worse.

I am a bit worried though about coughing alot post op. I have asthma and usually anesthesia wreaks havoc on my lungs. I am planning on taking my inhaler and ask them for a breathing treatment in PACU. My pillow will be right with me too to help with splinting my incision when I cough. I go tomorrow to get my labs drawn.

Where did they put your port? I asked my surgeon where he was going to place mine and he said he is going to place it 2 inches left of my belly button and 2 inches up from there. I just hope it isn't on my panty line or where the top of my jeans sit because that could be uncomfortable. I hear of some people getting them placed really high which some have complained about it sticking out after they lose alot of weight. If that does happen, surgeons can switch it out with a low-profile port.

I am going to start lifting weights and do strength training as soon as my surgeon says its ok. I want to try and tone up my muscles the best I can in my arms, legs and lower abs so I can reduce the loose skin that I will have.

What kind of Protein shake are you using?

Sorry with all the questions, I keep thinking of things as I am typing LOL

Hopefully your band will relax so that you can slowly advance your diet to real food. I am so excited for you!:D