Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scales!

I bought a new scale.< /p>

I had an ok digital scale that I got at Target about a year ago. It's served me well, but it has a weird thing - I could get on it twice in a row, and it would be a pound different. (Meaning - on, off, let it reset, back on..).

I decided, since I have now fully invested myself in weight loss (as opposed to before the band), I deserved to have a nice scale. So I bought a Tanita.

Thing is, the new scale is about 3.5 pounds off from the old one - in my favor lol (new weighs me as less) but still, it's weird to mark a new weight in the spreadsheet when the old scale has me the same as yesterday.

I'm going to Celebrate the 3.5 pound difference, rather I lost anything or not :)

What kind of scales do you use? Are you happy with it? Do you only *really* count what it says at the dr's office? (I know some folks do that).

scales are such liars anyway. I am only going to count my weightloss as "Official" from my Doc's scale at his office. My scale at home is off about 2 lbts from the scale at the surgery center. They are all different. Who knows how it will rank against my doc's office scale.

Good luck with the new scale!

:]

My scale does that thing you talked about where you step on and it gives you one weight, step on again and you get another. I was reading the instructions and they say that the second time is the accurate one. I don't have enough room in my bathroom to keep the scale there all the time, so I move it and take it out again. Apparently, every time you move it it needs to reset itself. Hence, the inaccurate first weight.

I count my true weight as what I weigh myself in the morning, no clothes, just after using the bathroom. The dr's office fluctuates so much with clothing, food or beverages consumed, etc.

I use a Tanita scale with body fat monitor (I don't trust the body fat readings but just use it as a general average). The scale is totally accurate -- if I weigh myself 10 times it will give me the exact same weight each of the 10 times. Plus, it's accurate to 0.2 lb., so I really know where I stand.

I used to have a scale that would round to the nearest lb., and it could give me a 3 lb difference when I weighed myself over and over again. I don't know if I've told this story on this board yet, but I used to be nearsighted (before lasik surgery) and one time I didn't have my glasses on when I weighed myself. I would weigh 3-4 times and take an average because of the discrepancy in the scale, and this time I had to weigh, get off, bend over and look at the scale, get back on, repeat. Well my husband came into the bathroom and saw me doing this and asked "Why are you bowing to the scale?") Too funny! Don't we all bow to the scale in one way or another?

Have some cheesy digital one that works well enough. It 'usually' weighs consistantly.

Main problem is that most home scales are wildly inaccurate and give a 'ball park' at best.

My major problem with the scales is addiction (both myself and the wife). When I am losing the damn thing rules my life.

I have resolved this by removing the battery and it only goes in Sunday (my weigh day) and comes out Monday evening (the wife weighs in on Monday).

I can at least sustain the will power to not put the battery back in for a sneak preview :)

I would weigh at the doctor's office but, I'm alergic to the medical profession. Also my current visit schedule would mean that I'd have to weigh every 11 years or so.

I have a Tanita digital scale too, and I love it. I can weigh several times in a row, and it always reads the same. It's two pounds lighter than the doctor's scale, but I assume that's because of clothing, time of day, etc.

I only trust the good old Medical scale, so before my surgery I splurged and spent the $300 on it, and know it will be the last one I ever buy, they are reliable as well as durable. and right on with the one my Dr has.