Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take you to start liking working out?

I am coming up on 10 weeks this Thursday of being banded. I absolutely despise working out/exercising. I'm currently working out 4-5 days a week, and it feels like a chore, I don't enjoy it at all. I do it because I have to, if I want this weight to come off. I guess just feeling overwhelmed by this whole experience right now!!! How long did it take some of you all to look forward and enjoy exercising?

You need to find something that you do enjoy. I'd been going to they gym for many years, but I'm with you, it kind of just felt like something I have to do. After a while it got to be a little bit enjoyable, hop on the elliptical and blast my iPod, but it was still just meh. Once I started kickboxing I really enjoyed it. Now I love doing it and I really hope one day I join some sort of other martial arts, like karate or taekwondo. I do still enjoy a little getting on the elliptical and blasting my music.

I liked it before I got a band because I had always lifted weights.....You need to find an activity that you enjoy....just as long as your working up a good sweat....

Things I was able to do before surgery are quite a bit more difficult

for me now. I bought a new bike and can't ride half as far as I could

a couple of months ago. I can only assume it's muscle loss. Have

to build those dudes back up.

I started enjoying it more as it became easier, especially dancing. It's a great workout and even more fun when I can move more easily around the dance floor.

As time passes I have also started enjoying my morning walks and long bike rides. Lately I have been craving (strange choice of word but describes how I feel) swimming so I have just bought a new suit and am heading off to the pool tomorrow morning.

About 90 pounds down && I still don't ENJOY it.I enjoy the results, and the atmosphere, but I still don't like the actual action.it has become a natural part of my life now, sort of like my food choices now.I eat healthy and workout because of the benefits they give to my body, but don't necessarily enjoy them! Tips to get more into working out 1) good music playlist, fill your iPod with tons of upbeat songs you love 2) find a gym buddy 3) switch up your routine so that you don't get bored.ie try zumba, pilates, Water fitness etc. 4) get a trainer.if you can afford it, a trainer is a great investment.they can motivate you, yeah you && help you to be accountable. Good luck!

I go in phases of liking to work out. Tell me I can't and I want to ( ie post op a surgery), tell me I must and I don't feel like it.

This feeling reminds me of when I was a kid and my parents would tell me to clean my room. If they did, I would get annoyed and not want to. If they didn't I would keep it clean on my own.

Apparently I really hate being told what to do.

Anyways I agree with above posters. If you dont enjoy the workout you are doing now try something else. See if you like curves or do classes. It is not going to be fun if it is a chore.

I love Water aerobics but until Jan can't get to gym to do them. I like to walk but I am in Minnesota and it is getting cold here and I hate the cold. I know I should work out but just do not want to when I have the time.

I started working out in May and did my first triathlon in September. At some point during that time and even still, working out became my number one priority. I will tell you that when I first tried running, I was at my highest weight. After losing 60 pounds then trying to run again it was like a whole new world. It was a bazillion times better - it wasn't easy but it was way better than when I was heavier.

If I am forced to take a couple of days off in a row I really miss it and feel beyond lazy. I think setting my triathlon goal really helped me get into doing it. Maybe consider registering for a 5k and get to the gym with that goal in mind?

Lots of great advice! I would add to start out slow and gradually build up your duration/intensity. I started out with a slow walk for 20 minutes on the treadmill. Now I jog for 30 or walk briskly on an incline for 45. I haven't learned to love it, but it's become part of my routine. I agree with the poster who said get a trainer if you can, I have one and love it. She really keeps me motivated. We do weights 4 days a week. You can do it! You might not love doing it, but you'll love the results!

I have always hated excerise.rolleyes.gif I am 5 months out and am now taking 2 zumba classes and 1 step class a week. I do these because I hate those machines and I get bored with them. These classes are so fast paced they fly by and I am now looking forward to them. I am also too ashamed to just stop in the middle of class when I get tired. I would do that if I did them at home.rolleyes.gif

Kat

Find something that you will enjoy. I always hated working out, but since I started going to the zumba classes in my gym I actually look forward to them. I take 3 to 4 classes a week.

I have lost all my weight so far without exercise...and it is still coming off nicely. That said I know I need to begin doing something besides the walking I do when I think about it. I have a bike and a treadmill so I really need to motivate myself to just do it. You would think now that I am 128 lbs lighter than I was this time last year would be all the motivaiton I need. But honestly it isnt.

Exercise has never been part of my life so this is really tough for me. But I know that the last 60+ lbs will come off more quickly if I get moving. Its just so hard to start.

It's almost been a year and I still HATE exercising! I don't despise it as much as I did when I was almost 350 lbs. but it's still a chore. I have to keep telling myself that it will all be worth it in the end and it will be over before I know it. I've just tried to make it a part of my regular, daily routine. People gave some great advice like find something that you enjoy doing (or don't mind doing as much) and do that! Also, you want to make sure that you shake things up a bit in case of a plateau! I've enrolled in a bootcamp and lost 4 lbs. already! I think the results are the things that keep me exercising. I LOVE looking in the mirror at how my body is changing. I know it sounds cliche', but think of it as a lifestyle change. It will be something you will always have to do not only to get in shape and stay in shape, but be healthy as well. GOOD LUCK!

Hate the whole concept of "working out"! It just doesn't seem to be in me to get excited about going to a gym to exercise. BUT.....if I can DO SOMETHING that is a physical activity I enjoy and get in some good ole' sweat time in the process - then I'm good with that. Perhaps you could find something you enjoy doing that physical and enjoyable at the same time. I'm in Michigan, so winter months can be more challenging, but during the spring-fall months, I enjoy kayaking, horseback riding, golf, and so forth. It doesn't strike me as much as "exercise" when I'm doing something else -- even if it's mucking out stalls in the barn - I enjoy it much more because I can take a breather and pet noses with the horses.

As you lose weight, you might seek out activities that you might enjoy - even if they are non-traditional. I know several women who have become interested in fly-fishing, archery, hiking, etc. -- especially if you can find someone else to share these events with. A day on the river paddling with my BFF is a lot more fun that hours spent on a treadmill. Just a thought.....