Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

thinking about the band

I am looking for opinions and not rude ones. I am 20 soon to be 21. I am about 205 lbs (its been a while since i was to the doctors and my scale is like 30 yrs old) I am about 5 foot 6 inches. I know i having an eating problem, but i am not sure what it is. I have tried tons of stuff to lose weight, but with a bad leg its hard to do all the exercising i need to in order to lose the weight. I was told by a friend about another friend who had gotten this done and it worked wonders for her. She began to lose weight then started doing the exercises that she could. Every doctor or pa i have seen about my leg tells me to lose weight. I have tried many things, i recently tried ally and it was ok but i cant stand having to be hear a toilet all the time. I did lose a few lbs but i gained it back easily. i have had a weight problem for a few years, since the leg got bad. a lot of people tell me that i look good but i dont see it and i can tell most others dont see it. especially when i go to the doctors and i asked about a diet, they gave me a strick menu with salad...once you get to know me you will know i cant stand the taste of plain lettuce it makes me want to vomit. I am ready for a major change and i need to lose this weight so i can become more active and less of lazy so i can do what i want to in life.

I dont have an appointment scheduled or anything, i am doing my research before I go to the doctor and ask for a referral

Thanks for ur ideas.

Congratulations on starting your investigations. It is a step in the right direction.

I have been banded for six months and have lost 100lb.

The band is not a quick and easy fix. You must be prepared to make a significant lifestyle change if you want it to work for you. That means making informed, healthy food choices (and I eat a lot more than salad!), incorporating exercise, and understanding how the band works so that you can work it to achieve success.

Right now I have been sick for over a week and my exercise has been cut right back to walking and stationery bike. I am going mentally nuts about not being able to get out on the road on my bicycle, so I guess that is a good sign that I have been able to incorporate exercise as a major part of my lifestyle!

I am no band angel. I have fallen off the wagon at times but every time someone tells me how much better I am looking, I find the power to get back on.

Good luck with your investigations. I would suggest that you start talking with your dr as soon as possible because it seems that Americans have to jump through a lot of hoops to get insurance approval so you should get that process underway. That way you will be well informed and prepared for every possible, including not going ahead with WLS.

What's the worse part about getting the band? Would you still do it knowing what you do now?

I love my band I had it done when I was 22 in 2009. I have lost 102lbs so far. Best decision I have ever made. =)

I am going through the classes and process right now...and am hoping to be banded in January! I love your blog Lady Lap Band!

weight.png 

Im 27, I just had my second daughter and I am 20lbs above my 9mos pregnancy weight with my first. Im tired of feeling hungry all the time and being fat. I just started my diet classes for the insurance approval on the lap band. My biggest fear is that after I lose so much weight, I will have so much excess skin that I will still me miserable

I was banded in March 2011. . I had no problems after surgery and transitioned fine with the changes in my diet. As soon as the doctor released me I started an exercise program. I am now down 70 pounds. i am 30 pounds from my final goal weight, but may try for an extra 5 pounds off when I get there. I would not take this back for anything. If you are truly ready for a change and nothing else has worked I totally reccomend the lapband. It has changed my life. I am a brand new person thanks to the band and my new found drive to better myself. Congratulations on your choice to research, and Good Luck on finding what is gonna work best for you!

I am going through the classes and process right now...and am hoping to be banded in January! I love your blog Lady Lap Band!

weight.png 

Oh thank you so much!! Congrats on getting banded soon! You must be so excited!!!!!