Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Sushi? What foods have you had to give up after the Band?

So I am aware that I must cut my caffeine to one cup of coffee a day. Carbonated drinks are not allowed. Then the surgeon told me certain foods are not tolerable after the Lap-Band, such as rice.:blink: The first food addict thought that came to my mind at that moment was, "No Sushi ever again?" He told me not everyone has that problem with rice. I have been reading the forums and it seems some people don't have any food problems but then last night I am eating corn and I start thinking, "will I be able to eat this after the surgery?"

So, I started this forum because I want to know, what food or foods (if any) have you had to give up because of the Lap-band?

• Red meat
  • Salad and all raw vegetables
  • Pasta
  • Rice
  • Carbonation
  • Bread

If there is Pasta or rice in Soup I can eat a little of it and I can eat hamburger as long as it's really moist and in a sauce and I don't ever do it! I can also eat a piece or two of pizza if it's thin crust. I used to miss this stuff but it doesn't bother me any more. In the beginning I would look at them and think "that looks really good". Now I just see a stuck episode waiting to happen and I'm not even tempted! I've never had a problem with corn.

I haven't had anything get stuck yet. I eat sushi at least twice a week. I'm only newly banded, though (2 months), so maybe I'll have to give up some things eventually.

I just asked my nutritionist about sushi. She thought I would be ok to eat it eventually ( I'm only almost 3 weeks out). She said it will probably only be 2 pieces but I should be able to tolerate. I hope so! My favorite date night food.< /p>

I'm almost 11 months post op and I can eat about 2 pieces of sushi. I can no longer eat more than a couple bites of rice, bread, and red meat. I sometimes have problems with lean pork chops as well. Also no reheated foods, at all. I think I am either very close, or at the green zone and have met my goal weight. Good luck to you on your journey!!!

I'm almost 11 months post op and I can eat about 2 pieces of sushi. I can no longer eat more than a couple bites of rice, bread, and red meat. I sometimes have problems with lean pork chops as well. Also no reheated foods, at all. I think I am either very close, or at the green zone and have met my goal weight. Good luck to you on your journey!!!

You mean frozen meals or leftovers? Why is that? too dry?

BTW your weight loss is really inspiring!

Thank you!!! I wasn't very clear :) I meant no leftovers, especially chicken and pork. I think it is because the meat is too dry. I have even tried reheating chicken with broth on it, and it still doesn't go down very well :(

You mean frozen meals or leftovers? Why is that? too dry?

BTW your weight loss is really inspiring!

I drink two lattes a day and eat sushi all the time. I mean, I CAN eat sushi, but I try and keep it to sashimi when I can, just to be "good". Depends on my weight and my mood. The things I can't or just don't eat anymore are:

Steak

Lobster tail :(

pineapple

Melon

Shrimp

White bread

I drink two lattes a day and eat sushi all the time. I mean, I CAN eat sushi, but I try and keep it to sashimi when I can, just to be "good". Depends on my weight and my mood. The things I can't or just don't eat anymore are:

Steak

Lobster tail :(

pineapple

Melon

Shrimp

White bread

Lobster :( I guess I should have some before the surgery then

The only thing I can't eat anymore is un-toasted bread. It doesn't matter if it's white or wheat, it just gets to doughy. I use Wasa crackers now, or make sure I toast my bread. I really don't miss it to much though. The scale makes it all worth it!

If I chew right, I can eat pretty much anything. I've only had steak once since being banded and it was a little difficult, so I haven't tried it again. I've never been stuck. I had rice tonight with my dinner. I've only had one fill but have pretty good restriction. Also, the only bread I've tried has been the flat brea from subway. Again, if I chew correctly, it goes down just fine. I, like you, mourned the loss of some of my favorite foods before being banded. But come to find out, I can still eat those things. But like cindy said, I mostly don't want to. My husband and I use to go to this local new York pizza shop weekly and that was my favorite place. That's where I ate for my "goodbye" dinner before surgery. I haven't been there since(3 months) and honestly don't even think about it. It was those foods that got me this overweight anyway...

I can eat almost anything however I tried a waffle for the first time and thought I was on my damn death bed....I won't ever try that again....And I got stuck on sushi before I am gathering it is more so the wrapping used and not the rice but I couldn't get it down...i think you will come to realize somethings just don't make any sense. I can eat steak but have trouble eating grits....It is all trial and error

I haven't had my first fill yet so don't know what I will not be able to tolerate, but do have a suggestion for the sushi issue! I am diabetic and white rice really spikes my blood sugar. I have found that I can ask for my sushi rolls to be made without the rice. They turn out much smaller (which isn't a bad thing for our band) but the taste doesn't really change. I have been to many restaurants and no one has denied the request.

Never been stuck or had any problems. So far, unfortunately, I can eat anything and everything I could eat before laugh.gif I will say that it can be a bit uncomfortable to eat bread- I feel it pass through the band slower than other food, and just that slight weird discomfort is usually enough to stop me from devouring more of it. But I still CAN eat it. I've never had any problem with any food, even heated leftovers. But yes, everyone is different!

I will say, if you have a trigger food... my advice is to never test it once you're banded. Just tell yourself you can't get it down. If it's a food you can't control yourself with best to believe it'll get stuck than to prove yourself wrong and open yourself up to temptation. If you're a person who doesn't have trigger foods, or are able to eat those types of foods in moderation, then feel free to ignore this advice.

I havent had to give up anything - but those foods listed as not tolerated, whilst I can eat them, they dont appeal to me so much. Its because they are difficult.

Its one thing I think you have to watch with a lapband, I almost thing, hmmm what dont I feel like eating and then choose that! Because my tastes for fresh fruit, vegies, wholegrain bread, sushi etc has declined whereas my desire for slices, Cookies, Soups, and other such sliders has increased!

Whilst I was unfilled a little while ago, suddenly a large apple seemed the most delicious thing in the world to me. Get filled again and wham, an apple, naaaaah. I ate loads and loads and loads of salad whilst unfilled, now I still eat it but because its good for me, not because I actually want it. We went to a barbecue yesterday and I like and can eat steak but it somehow doesnt appeal, I had a sausage. Now we all know that a small piece of lean steak is going to be way better for you health wise and calorie wise than a fat and rubbish laden sausage, but the sausage was much easier and therefore appealed more. Its a real trap.

I can eat sushi but dont want to. Again, whislt I was unfilled, I had a ball with it, had it a couple of times a week, now I dont want it anymore.

So you'llprobably find that whatever foods dont work for you, you wont miss them anyway, its easy to give them up. But you have to watch that you dont give up all the healthy stuff and start eating crap - eggs and yogurt and such are good for you, yes, but you need fresh fruit, raw vegies, red meat in your diet too.