Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Years of obsessing over food

How does that stop with this surgery? All I do is think of food. That is what is the worst part now. How does it or does it not go away with this surgery. I want my mind to finally be able to rest....stop the obsession!

I traded in my food obsession for a scale obsession. In the old days I would open my eyes in the morning and my first thought was, "what am I gonna eat today?" And I would run for the fridge. After my surgery when the weight started dropping that changed to, "what do I weigh today?" And I would run for the scale. I would see that number and the last thing I wanted to do was eat!

For me it has changed over time. food just doesn't sound as good as it used to. I think it is a combination of things.

I can only eat a tiny bit at a time, so it seems like such a bother to cook big fantastic meals. There are quite a few things my stomach can no longer tolerate, so they don't even sound good now. I used to be the queen of fast food and fried food. I can no longer tolerate those things. They just make me feel sick when I've tried to eat them after being banded, so now I don't even crave or miss them.

For me it has changed over time. food just doesn't sound as good as it used to. I think it is a combination of things.

I can only eat a tiny bit at a time, so it seems like such a bother to cook big fantastic meals. There are quite a few things my stomach can no longer tolerate, so they don't even sound good now. I used to be the queen of fast food and fried food. I can no longer tolerate those things. They just make me feel sick when I've tried to eat them after being banded, so now I don't even crave or miss them.

I know how you feel. I used to be the queen of pizza. I was in the local gas station/pizza joint last week paying for my gas. I thought I was going to be sick from the sight of the slices for sale! I looked at them and all I could see was the slime it would certainly cause!

For me.. Nothing has changed.. I still always think about food.. When am I going to eat next and such... Even being where my band is tigher , i still love food and its a daily battle to not eat when i am not hungry

It depends what you mean - like the others have said, oftentimes your tastes change a lot of you'll look at pizza and feel sick. I liked pizza as much as the next person, I almost gag when I look at it now and if the kids cook one at home, I have to leave the house, I cant STAND the smell - or any smell of cheese cooking come to think of it. I can easily walk into a McDonalds with my family at mealtime when we're travelling or something and even if I'm hungry, not order anything. There's nothing in there to eat that appeals to me. Our Maccas all have McCafe's too so I'll get a decent coffee - but I even look in the cake display and thing bleurgh - manufactures off site, that funny yellow colour to them, sitting under the light, all I see is sugar and fat.

But to not be obsessed with food and weight on a daily basis - that's a tough call and I'm not sure its realistic. I have gotten WAY better than I was. And I firmly believe that that is because I've never dieted. I dont give a flying you know what what the doctors say about Protein this, carb grams that, what schedule they set or program they recommend, I refuse refuse refuse to diet. I believe the ONLY way to let go of that obsession is to eat what you want, when you want it, and not be concerned about the consequences. That's much easier said than done and I cant quite manage that because it does ignore the fact that I think we're seriously addicted to our processed diets and our bodies are simply not going to truly want to eat only healthy foods. I've got a pretty good handle on it though and I believe that my not dieting was instrumental in that. I'm taking my daughter to the movies today because its school holidays - I'll probably have movie popcorn for my lunch. So what? Its not healthy but so what? I have had a healthy Breakfast and will at a healthy dinner and wont eat anything between meals, its not going to matter in the scheme of things. That's a big improvement over eating it, thinking I've blown the diet and pigging out for the rest of the day.

To really get better I'd have to stop weighing. Because I *will* get on the scales and check tonight that I didnt gain 15lb in a day by eating the popcorn and I will be on the scales gain tomorrow morning. To stop obsession I think we have to never diet and never weigh and not care- and in our society, with the foods available to us, that's asking for disaster.

In reality, we are formerly obese people, we will always be obesity sufferers and we live in a world just waiting to degrade our healthy and send us into relapse at every turn. We have to accept that living with some degree of food obsession is what it takes to keep the physical aspects of the disease at bay. But there's obsession which is unhealthy and there's looking after your healthy, it takes work but if you want the result you've got to do it. It has to continue to be a daily focus.

Thanks for all your input to the very broad question I asked. I guess sometimes I just want my 49 year old brain to stop thinking of the next meal, the next bit of food I can put in my mouth to satisfy the physical and mental need that I know will never be full no matter how much I stuff it. As far back as five years old I remember always feeling "different" because I could not stop thinking of food. I am one of four and my other three siblings have no food obsession. I always wanted more and more and never knew how they could walk away from the table after one serving and never wanting to go back in the kitchen all night long. All the while my mission was to sneak and eat as much as possible but never get full. Keep in mind I was not overweight until my mid 30's. Now I am well over 200lbs but I have felt obese (physically and mentally) all my life.

My worry is that the obsession will remain after the pounds disappear. I want the icing on my cake so to speak. What I hope for is the obsession to decrease along with the pounds. The surgery decreases stomach size but what does it do for the brain obsession? That seems to be the part taking the toll on me. Thanks for letting me ramble my thoughts out.

I know how you feel. I used to be the queen of pizza. I was in the local gas station/pizza joint last week paying for my gas. I thought I was going to be sick from the sight of the slices for sale! I looked at them and all I could see was the slime it would certainly cause!

I can eat pizza? Is that normal? Course I only had it once since surgery and it was a very small slice from a 12" pie. Didnt eat the crust either.

Back when I smoked, everything revolved around when I could have a smoke. I quit on March 3, 1997 and I traded that in for food. Now when I am heading out for the day or making Dr. appointments, I automatically think "hmm...Let's make it right before lunch, so I can eat out". I am working on changing this. I suppose with time. I am wondering tho, will I replace this with something else?

I have that problem too - I always seem to make sure I"m out at lunchtime and have something yummy rather than stock standard fare from my fridge.

This problem goes away when I work - as a teacher (Australian schools dont have school lunch programs, just basic canteens where kids can buy a drink, a packet of chips and some hot foods like dim sims, pies and sausage rolls or a sandwich) - there is little opportunity to buy crap food - we dont have vending machines in our schools at all and leaving the school for lunch just isnt really done - and depending where your school is there just isnt time, what with yard duty and preparing for the afternoon and such - its pretty much a bring your own lunch arrangement. I was the thinnest I've ever been whilst working full time last year and since I had to spend a year at home for cancer treatment, I'm back at that shops for coffee and cake routine for lunch. I cant WAIT to start my new job with the new school year in February!

I definatly don't obsess about food usually meaning how quickly can I eat again. I do however do a lot more planning than I used to. The prepared hot food at my works cafe is often not very healthy and there are a lot of vegetarians so the salad bar runs out early. I bring lunch (baked chicken breast, low fat laughing cow cheese, hummus, veggies, fruit) Breakfast (greek yoghurt with some Kashi Go lean); and pre work out Protein Shake. So I basically need to pack 2 1/2 meals every night when I get home from work before I can dinner. I never would have done that preband. I also will plan ahead if I know I will be in a situation where there is not a healthy food choice.

I've only been banded 7 or so weeks, but my obsession with food is pretty much GONE. I used to be constantly hungry, so I was always thinking - What can I eat? What food is in the fridge? How much money is in my purse and what food can I buy with it? When is hubby coming home from work - we should go to a cafe! I feel like potatoes. What should I make for dinner? etc etc etc

I have found that with the removal of the hunger motivator, I just don't think about it any more. When I do get hungry, I know that I'll be satisfied with just a little food, so it's not an obsessive thought process any more. It's just more straight forward. Like "I'm hungry, I'm at the mall so I guess I'll buy a sushi roll". Then I buy it, eat it, and it's all over LOL!

Cake girl I'm the same, I just had my second fill and I'm sitting her eating a salad and I've gad about 6 bits and I feel full. Its not bothering me at all that I can't eat it. :). I'm hoping my tightness stays this way but it will probably loosen out a bit. It's great to not feel a slave to food anymore, it really was all I thought of!