Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fresh out of surgery

I just had lap band on Monday. I have been taking my meds but the pain in my incisions is feeling better so I stopped last night. I still feel pulling on the port and the larger incision but it is tolerable. Today I started having some heart burn and feel like I am having trouble getting a full breath in. I don't want to eat anything as I feel like it will just make it worse. I haven't "eaten" anything since my Protein Shake at 3pm and it is after 7 now. I asked a friend that has had lap band about her post op pain and she said she didn't have any. I am concerned now. The doctors orders say that unless the pain gets worse, things are fine. How do I get more comfortable? Is there anything I can do? Am I the only one that has discomfort? I want to feel like I am not alone. THanks so much for listening!

My lapband was Monday too. I was in significant pain. Not hungry day 1 and 2. Day 3 and 4 very hungry. I took lots of pain Meds to get more comfortable.

The tape was causing more pain than the incision so I took it off. Prayer works also.

Today, day 4 much better than days before. I have had a very easy time getting things down, lol. Really the least of my concerns.

Take comfort in knowing it sucks for me too. Maybe in a different way but still sucks.

i had my surgery on tuesday, and although the dr said to take the pain meds only if necesary ,, i made sure to take them every 4 hrs on the dot until this morning. By this afternoon i had to take another dose.So: start takng your meds again. that will help with the pain. Breathin, will hurt for a little while, remember they filled you up with this gas, and it will take a couple of days before you feel better. I still cant take a deep breath in, but im using the incentive breather....you need to do that. About the heartburn. i thought we wouldnt get any. you need to check on that. hope you feel better soon. ill chek up on you later.

I just had lap band on Monday. I have been taking my meds but the pain in my incisions is feeling better so I stopped last night. I still feel pulling on the port and the larger incision but it is tolerable. Today I started having some heart burn and feel like I am having trouble getting a full breath in. I don't want to eat anything as I feel like it will just make it worse. I haven't "eaten" anything since my Protein shake at 3pm and it is after 7 now. I asked a friend that has had lap band about her post op pain and she said she didn't have any. I am concerned now. The doctors orders say that unless the pain gets worse, things are fine. How do I get more comfortable? Is there anything I can do? Am I the only one that has discomfort? I want to feel like I am not alone. THanks so much for listening!

Thanks! I am going to take pain meds tonight. I feel like it will help me sleep better. Glad to hear someone else can't breathe all the way yet either. I am still using the breathing thing from the hospital when I think about it. I will have to call and ask about heartburn on Monday. I really don't feel like taking my supplements or anything, the thought makes me nauseous!

Had my surgery 7:00 AM today. Taking the hydrocodone exlir every 4 hours. Takes an hour to kick in. never takes all the pain away and wears off in about 2. Hurting pretty bad. Able to get up and walk every couple of hours but pain increases quite a bit. Incisions already showing alot of bruising. Would like to get another kind of pain med cause this doesn't seem to be cutting the pain. Also have used gas x and cold packs on incisions. Got up at 4:00 AM to get to surgery center and now it's almost 1:00 AM the next morning and haven't even been able to nap cause pain never is gone enough for me to relax. Wish I hadn't had surgeryon Friday because I would like to try a different type of med but the Dr doesn't do med refill on weekend.

What other types of medications have people been on,, that worked. :(

please make sure you use the IS, for your breathing. It will help, i promise. i am a respiratory therapist and it is a preventative device that makes you take a deep breath. in patients use it every hour, 10 breaths. it prevents pneumonia and atelectasis, which is the collapse of the air sacs in the lower parts of the lungs. i know people don't think it is important, but it is. i used mine religiously.

it will get easier every day. just take one day at a time and walk, walk, walk.

Thanks! I am going to take pain meds tonight. I feel like it will help me sleep better. Glad to hear someone else can't breathe all the way yet either. I am still using the breathing thing from the hospital when I think about it. I will have to call and ask about heartburn on Monday. I really don't feel like taking my supplements or anything, the thought makes me nauseous!

Try a heating pad for some of the gas pain. I used one and it seemed to help a good bit. Sorry you all are in pain but just hang in there it will get better.

Thanks! I am taking Percoset and I got pill form so I break them in half so they go down easier. It works good for the pain but I am in a daze and groggy all the time. I need to write a paper for my online class this weekend and wanted to cut way back so I can concentrate. I took a pill last night and slept great. I can already feel my eyes all jumpy. I hope I can write the paper. I took Gas x last night and this morning I feel a lot better. I did the breathing device religiously for the 3 days like I was told. Yesterday I did it when I remembered. Anyhow, thanks so much for all the advice!!!! It is truly helpful! :)

From reading these forums you'd think almost everyone undergoing WLS had major problems with gas, pain, etc., but It's probably

that most people who don't have problems don't post about their boring recovery. In my case. I had no problems at all, except for a little site pain.