Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jason - I just read your post; not sure how long ago you posted it, but the one thing I read that stuck out is that you are asking about oatmeal and/or cream of wheat! The most successful weight loss is going to come with a complete overhaul of what you are eating as well, which should mean very low carbs. Forget oatmeal and cream of wheat - think eggs, Protein, shakes, etc. My Dr. has had a lot of success with the banding because he insists on low carb living along with the band as a tool only! You've got a completely new start so make it count and get rid of the bad foods too - for your daughter's sake!

Stay positive! There's a great book to read - Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes.....it's my Dr's bible and very interesting, especially if you're a carb addict (like most of us are, just won't admit it). Good Luck on your journey!!!

It is so fascinating to see how each surgeon has their own take on things. I'm on the week 5 diet stage and the list of foods the nutritionist gave me included cream of wheat, oatmeal, baked potato (without skin), baked sweet potato (without skin), applesauce, pureed vegetables. I considered these healthy foods as long as you weren't loading them up with sugar, butter, sour cream, etc. No wonder I've slowed down losing weight. Why put that on the list if we aren't supposed to be eating them? Sigh.

Back to the "how many pounds to lose" topic: insurance and doctors also take co-morbidities into account- health issues that are affected by weight. And your weight loss history. For me, I had 100 pounds to lose when I began the investigation and decision making process. I took a Wellness class my medical group offered and was able to lose 25 pounds in six months prior to surgery. It was the same 25 pounds I'd lost several times and had gained back. For my ticker I chose to use the starting weight from Jan. before the Wellness class. Even with that weight loss, I qualified because of other health issues. I also read that there was some attempt to lower to 50 pounds the qualifying amount, again because of health issues and weight loss failures.

I know my surgeon considered me a candidate for by-pass as well. I think age, health, history, and personal commitment are a part of the formula. I think the stats say we should lose 60% of our excess weight in 18-24 months. I asked and was told that this number includes those who don't use the tool, don't exercise, don't follow the eating guidelines as well as those who are diligent, change their eating and exercise and are mindful of the need to follow instructions.

Let's encourage one another to beat the stats, stay focused, be patient, and work towards the goal- in 18-24 months we will be healthy, eating well, exercising regularly, and have thin and trim bodies!

I did not lose any weight until I started the preop diet, so I started at my all time high. I've been in a stall for what seems like forever, and I'm thrilled to report that I stepped on the scale this morning, and I've finally lost weight again. I don't normally like to step on the scale mid week, but I felt like I was down in weight, and needed to confirm that those extra lbs were gone. The 5lbs I gained last week are in fact gone, plus another 4lbs. It must have been Water weight - cause there is no way I've lost 9lbs since Sunday. That brings me to 39lbs lost and 127 still to go! I feel so much better after 40lbs, I can't wait to see what I'll feel like with the rest of it gone!!

I'm doing a walk for Diabetes on Saturday on the lakefront in Chicago, so that should help my weight loss efforts too! I'm not diabetic, but my best friend almost died two years ago. She did not know she was diabetic, and her husband came home and found her in a coma. She spent two weeks in the hospital, the first week was in intensive care. They did not know if she was going to make it for 3 or 4 days - so this is for her! Her diabetes is cause by her weight, and I can't get her to lose weight, eexercise or even look at the band, so I'm trying to be an inspiration for her. She is walking with me - so here's to the first step!

@pugsx3 - good for you walking for a cure for diabetes! I just hope the wind calms down and the waves don't wash you away, you thin person!

I just realized we're in the same medical group - do I see you at support meetings? I was there last night for the nutritional meeting.

@pugsx3 - good for you walking for a cure for diabetes! I just hope the wind calms down and the waves don't wash you away, you thin person!

I just realized we're in the same medical group - do I see you at support meetings? I was there last night for the nutritional meeting.

I did not know they had a support group - but I'd love to attend one. Right now my life centers around my band, and I'm driving people crazy because that's the only thing I think about, and I can somehow manage to work any topic into my weight loss and the band. I've got to stop that - I hope it settles down soon. When and where do they meet? I live in Aurora, and work 60 miles west of home - so getting into Winfield/Wheaton is not always easy, but it sure would be worth the effort! I get my first fill a week from today, so I'll ask about it when I go!

We went out to eat tonight--mexican food. I have been out to eat a few times since being banded but this was the first time for mexican. I take that back, at work we did last week but i ordered scrambled eggs bc I was paranoid I'd get stuck. I didn't have any chips. Tonight I did but my entree came with them. I didnt eat a basket full with salsa like I did preband. I ordered the 'light plate' which consisted of one taco, guacamole and chips with queso drizzled over it. I didnt eat the shell of the taco. I ate the insides and the quac and several chips with queso. I gave DS the rest and he happily gobbled it up. Prebanding i was worried that i wouldnt eat normal or that someone would look at my plate amd be able to tell i had a band but i really dont think thats the case. I am starting to realize that life is changing but i can still be normal. I was paranoid about eating in front of people who dont know i am banded but i am learning that if i chew well and eat safe foods i am fine.

J

Banded 9/22

Glad you had a good night out eating Mexican, Jin. I ate a chicken quesadilla a week or so ago and was really happy it all went down well. We are moving on to really living a banded life. It is exciting to me.

Actually now that I am eating better and much more healthy it seems like I am eating a lot just trying to get in 600-800 calories a day. Some days it seems like I have to eat way too much to get there. LOL So much for eating a box of Little Debbies and still being hungry. I think it is proof positive that eating all those carbs and sweets really do make you hungry for more. I don't even miss them now that I don't eat them.

Hi All,

I was operated on on Sept 22nd. Am feeling no restriction and am eating basically normally. First fill Nov 2nd. Very frustrating! The only pain I have is like a "stitch" under my left ribs. I guess its normal?

Glad you had a good night out eating Mexican, Jin. I ate a chicken quesadilla a week or so ago and was really happy it all went down well. We are moving on to really living a banded life. It is exciting to me.

Actually now that I am eating better and much more healthy it seems like I am eating a lot just trying to get in 600-800 calories a day. Some days it seems like I have to eat way too much to get there. LOL So much for eating a box of Little Debbies and still being hungry. I think it is proof positive that eating all those carbs and sweets really do make you hungry for more. I don't even miss them now that I don't eat them.

That is so true about feeling like you are pigging out when you get to 800 calories. I think twice I have gotten to 1100 calories and I felt like I had totally pigged out. I have noticed I am getting hungrier but Protein is what curbs it for sure. Carbs do nothing for hunger. I do eat cream of wheat for the grains and mashed sweet potatoes for the Vitamins and they both have some protein in them too but for the most part carbs don't do a thing. It is so exciting to start living a 'normal' life. I went to a craft thing with my mom last night that had a dinner of salad and about 7 different Soups to choose from. It was nice to feel like I could choose from any of them but limit my portions. It felt much less like a diet than weight watchers would have trying to guess how many points this had or that. I had already gotten in all my protein for the day so I had one ladle full of a cheesy potato Soup with a sprinkle of cheese on it and a dollap of sour cream and ate it super slow and felt full. It was so nice and they brought out the Desserts and I didn't even care to try one of everything they brought out like I would have pre-band life :). I did REALLY want to try the cinnamon sugared walnuts they brought out that were just made. That was a rough thing to turn down but I did.

Hi All,

I was operated on on Sept 22nd. Am feeling no restriction and am eating basically normally. First fill Nov 2nd. Very frustrating! The only pain I have is like a "stitch" under my left ribs. I guess its normal?

It seems like a lot of us are in the same 'no restriction yet' boat. My first fill isn't until Tues. so we will see if it helps at all. I have noticed I am just staying full for about 2-3 hours now. I had weird 'stitch' type pains for a little while. I had surgery Sept 12th and just within the last 10 days I have gotten to the point where I feel totally normal.

Hi All,

I was banded 9/21 and don't see the surgeon for a fill until 11/11. While I know I could probably eat things like breads and pastas because there is little to no restriction yet, I am operating as if I've had a fill and those are not options. I am amazed I am not hungry eating as few calories as I do. I track my calories and Protein consumption useing SparkPeople. I can still use their menus I just focus on the Proteins. I run between 700-900 calories. I still cannot get 60+ oz of Water in a day. I just can't hold it. My swelling around the port site has finally disappeared. I only notice pain when I've overdone it at the gym.

My test was a meeting held at an Italian restuaruant. What would I eat? I found Italian wedding Soup and couldn't eat the whole bowl. I also love that I eat out now for considerably less because I'm eating off of the sides menu or the children's menu.

No regrets so far.

Isn't it great to start feeling like your regular self again but better? We are all going to succeed with our lapbands and that is exciting in itself. Hurrah for passing up desserts and not feeling like we are on diets. Love it.

So I am watching my BMI and so excited to see it get below 40. I am moving from Morbidly Obese to Severly Obese and that makes me happy. I am almost there according to the weight ticker, however this morning on the WiiFit it said my BMI was 40.11 and the weight was the exact same on the regular scale and the WiiFit scale. Do you think that there is a difference in the BMI calculator on each or is it due to rounding? I was delighted when my ticker said 40 even and a bit disappointed when the WiiFit said 40.11 Not enough disappointed to dampen my spirits with the great weight loss I have had so far, but it did make me wonder about the calculations.

I have that problem sometimes of trying to meet my calorie count.

Just a quick update for the Sept 2011 bandsters:

I was banded on 9/12 and feel great. All together I've lost over 33 lbs and have finally (!!!!!) gotten into the regular sizes. Bought a new pair of jeans today at costco without trying them on, and the size 18 (short) are loose. I can't believe it. My weight loss has slowed down now that I'm on real food, but it is slow and steady.

My first fill was Wednesday (10/19) and received 4 cc's. The PA said they generally just follow a protocol, so that's what I got. He was pleased with my weight loss to date, and said that with no restriction in the band, the weight loss was due to diet exclusively. I had no problem with the fill, and was told to return to liquid diet for 2 days, or until I felt like I could get solid food down. The second day, I tried some soft food and had no problems. Today I'm pretty much eating what I was before, just much less. Although my hunger seems to be back, I find that if I eat slowly, chew carefully and moderate my intake, I get satisfied with less food. That's exactly what I want. As I keep telling myself, the lap band is a tool, but I must be conscious of what I'm eating.

I saw the nutritionist at Bellevue, and he definitely believes in tough love! After going over some questions I had, when I asked about hunger between meals, he said to try and ignore it. Easier said than done, he said, but I must remember that someone cut into my body to help solve my obesity. When I'm tempted by a (wicked!) donut, try and remember that I was desperate enough (my words, not his) to have surgery (with all it's pain, cost and bother) and do I really want to screw that up! A bit harsh, but like a slap to the head. He also suggested I set a goal of getting to 180 by the end of the year. That's 12 lbs in 10 weeks! Think I can do it???

Have a great week everyone, and remember, if this process of conquering our obesity was easy, we would have done it way, way, way, before now! Let's concentrate on the positive and be kind to ourselves!

Lisa in NYC -- with a pot of mushroom barley Soup simmering on the stove~

Just a quick update for the Sept 2011 bandsters:

I was banded on 9/12 and feel great. All together I've lost over 33 lbs and have finally (!!!!!) gotten into the regular sizes. Bought a new pair of jeans today at costco without trying them on, and the size 18 (short) are loose. I can't believe it. My weight loss has slowed down now that I'm on real food, but it is slow and steady.

My first fill was Wednesday (10/19) and received 4 cc's. The PA said they generally just follow a protocol, so that's what I got. He was pleased with my weight loss to date, and said that with no restriction in the band, the weight loss was due to diet exclusively. I had no problem with the fill, and was told to return to liquid diet for 2 days, or until I felt like I could get solid food down. The second day, I tried some soft food and had no problems. Today I'm pretty much eating what I was before, just much less. Although my hunger seems to be back, I find that if I eat slowly, chew carefully and moderate my intake, I get satisfied with less food. That's exactly what I want. As I keep telling myself, the lap band is a tool, but I must be conscious of what I'm eating.

I saw the nutritionist at Bellevue, and he definitely believes in tough love! After going over some questions I had, when I asked about hunger between meals, he said to try and ignore it. Easier said than done, he said, but I must remember that someone cut into my body to help solve my obesity. When I'm tempted by a (wicked!) donut, try and remember that I was desperate enough (my words, not his) to have surgery (with all it's pain, cost and bother) and do I really want to screw that up! A bit harsh, but like a slap to the head. He also suggested I set a goal of getting to 180 by the end of the year. That's 12 lbs in 10 weeks! Think I can do it???

Have a great week everyone, and remember, if this process of conquering our obesity was easy, we would have done it way, way, way, before now! Let's concentrate on the positive and be kind to ourselves!

Lisa in NYC -- with a pot of mushroom barley Soup simmering on the stove~

I was banded on Sept 15 and I lost 11 lbs before surgery and 14 lbs. since. I was wondering what you are doing to lose so fast. I haven't been able to lose anymore weight for over a week and I am getting frustrated. Are you counting calories or carbs? I am just counting calories. I can't live on meat and veggies only. I try to walk everyday but there are days when I don't have time.

Thanks,

Lisa