Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does size matter

Hello low BMI Bandsters, does the size of your band matter? I have the large band I got my surgery 3 months ago, I have a total of 8cc's in my large band, I wonder if it's because my Dr, put a large band on me,

if that is one of the reasons why it's taking for ever to hit the sweet spot,

as of today I have not lost nothing :(

I am so frustrated. I have no restriction what so ever! Isn't the large band for people with a higher BMI?

I just think That If my Dr would of put on me the standard band (the smaller one), I would have lost some weight by now

so confused, anyone out there with a low BMI that could tell me what size of band they have and how long/or fills it took to hit there Sweet spot/restriction

MY bmi is a 34

There are a number of different bands.

The old lapband was 4ml(I think) but this not used anymore except possibly in Mexico.

The newer bands are 10ml and 14ml(again I think). Which band is used depends on the size of your insides not your BMI. The Dr will generally be able to tell which is best once you are "opened" up.

Then there is the Realise band as well. I think this one is 11ml. The difference with the Realise band is that it is a low pressure band and typically more fill is required before any type of restriction is felt. I have even heard of patients with this band being filled to more than the apparent capacity. So you not only need to know the capacity of your band but also which type.

More importantly however is what are you doing? Are you following the rules? That is not drinking with meals or for a min of 30 minutes afterwards, small bites, chewing well. Eating good quality dense Protein and some healthy veg/carbs? Exercising etc.

If you are doing all these things then you should be losing some weight. But it is important that you are honest with yourself. Lots of people don't lose because they think that the band will do all the work, they forget it is only a tool.

Try to forget the term sweet spot. I think it is like the G spot. Some swear it exists others don't. The sweet spot isn't some magical place where you suddenly lose weight with no effort. If there is a sweet spot it is the place where if you are following the rules you can eat a smaller portion than previously of healthy food and not be hungry for 2 - 3, if you are lucky maybe 4 hours afterwards.

Hope some of this helps.

Elcee I hate to tell you but everyones stomach is the same size no matter how fat you are. My doctor has done over 3500 surgeries and he told us it didnt matter how obese someone was everyones stomach is the same size so its just whatever the doctor does. He doesnt match a size to your stomach.

sanction I hate to tell you that not everyone has the same size organs and this has nothing to do with how obese a person may or may not be.

Why do you think Allergan decided to make bands in different sizes? If everyone is the same inside there would be no point in them wasting money producing different sized products. I am sure that the reason behind the different sizes was based on very thorough research.

to quote

The.LAP-BAND.AP®.System.is.available.in.two.sizes,.Standard. and.Large...The.physician.should.choose.the.appropriate. size.depending.upon.the.patient’s.individual.anatomy...Most. patients.with.correctly.fitted.bands.report.minimal,.if.any,. restriction.following.resolution.post-operative.edema.until. saline.is.added.to.the.band,.regardless.of.band.size..The.Large. band.is.normally.used.for.re-operations.(particularly.conversion. from.other.procedures).and.the.pars.flaccida.dissection.. Surgeons.are.advised.to.evaluate.the.amount.of.tissue.within. the.band.prior.to.band.locking.and.suturing.in.place,.and,.if.it. appears.excessive,.to.remove.some.omental.tissue.or.move.the. dissection.closer.to.the.stomach.wall.or.higher.on.the.stomach.. Additional.information.regarding.size.selection.is.provided.in. the.training.program.

I think I can read elcee and the anatomy meaning where the organs are placed not the size of them. I think I know anatomy since I have been in the medical field for 25 years. Everyones stomach is the same size.

I think I can read elcee and the anatomy meaning where the organs are placed not the size of them. I think I know anatomy since I have been in the medical field for 25 years. Everyones stomach is the same size.

So if all stomachs are the same size, why do we need fills as we loose weigh? Our band loosen up as our organs come down in size....

So, why then do we have different sized hearts? Kidneys? livers? Of course our stomachs are different.

The human stomach is a muscular, elastic, pear-shaped bag, lying crosswise in the abdominal cavity beneath the diaphragm. It changes size and shape according to is position of the body and the amount of food inside. The stomach is about 12 inches (30.5 cm) long and is 6 inches. (15.2 cm) wide at its widest point. The stomach's capacity is about 1 qt (0.94 liters) in an adult. (taken from a medical website) The stomach only stretches when one over eats but goes back to normal size once the food is digested.

I don't know if our stomachs are the same size or different sizes, but I do know we sometimes need fills as we loose weight because the fat pad around the stomach shrinks, at least that is what my doctor says :) As far as the original question from Juicylicious goes, I think the size of band the doctor places is up to them, though I'm not sure why. I started with a BMI of 35 and was around 40 when I had my surgery (I think) and my band is either 11ccs or 14ccs, not sure which one. I asked him at my post op appointment, but forget what he said. I have had around 7 small fills totaling just under 5ccs in my band and I am in the green zone. Good luck to you and I hope this answer helps with your question.

Juicy

My apologies that your thread appears to have been hijacked. Here is hoping that some other people will attempt to answer some of your original queries. I am sure when you posted your original query you were hoping for some more supportive helpful answers.

As for Dr Sanction who has been in the medical field for 25 years...................(If that is the case I would have expected the information that you posted to support your argument would have come from a more scientific source - not one of the first sites that comes up when googling this question).

As you obviously have far superior knowledge to the rest of us will you please explain what the point of Allergan producing different sized bands was? Also people are different sizes, as far as I am aware that means there are going to be variations in the size of their organs. We have babies, children, adults. Presumably organs grow as we as progress from birth to adulthood - at what point does the stomach reach its "one size fits all" stage? Even when you reach adulthood people vary dramatically in size. I am female and 5' - there are people who reach 7' and over. I am stunned and gobsmacked to discover that we all have the same size organs.

Wow - that is amazing.

As for Dr Sanction who has been in the medical field for 25 years...................(If that is the case I would have expected the information that you posted to support your argument would have come from a more scientific source - not one of the first sites that comes up when googling this question).

lol....too funny, the same site was the first one that came up for me earlier today when I searched it.

Hello low BMI Bandsters, does the size of your band matter? I have the large band I got my surgery 3 months ago, I have a total of 8cc's in my large band, I wonder if it's because my Dr, put a large band on me,

if that is one of the reasons why it's taking for ever to hit the sweet spot,

as of today I have not lost nothing :(

I am so frustrated. I have no restriction what so ever! Isn't the large band for people with a higher BMI?

I just think That If my Dr would of put on me the standard band (the smaller one), I would have lost some weight by now

so confused, anyone out there with a low BMI that could tell me what size of band they have and how long/or fills it took to hit there Sweet spot/restriction

MY bmi is a 34

sorry....

Back to the OP........

In my first year of being banded I reached my sweet spot on my 2nd fill. My fills were large amounts to start and I had a 2.7cc fill during surgery. My starting BMI was 41.3. I have a 10cc band and my sweet spot was at 5.3cc. If I had it any tighter at that point, I would have not been able to eat anything but fluids. I stayed at that restriction level for a very long time (10 months or so). Today, I'm 26 months post-op and am at 5.7cc. I have great restriction and the band is doing it's job. I really don't think BMI has anything to do with it. It's the size and thickness of the stomach it's self. Maybe a 10cc band would have worked better for you. It is my understanding that the large 14cc band is used on large men and such.... I think if I were in your shoes, I would go get another fill, and another until I reached restriction.

I think size matters a lot - but the reason the old 4cc band is not in use anymore, is that the newer designs are better in terms of less likelihood of a slip or erosion.

However, the journey to the "sweet spot" seems to be so different. With my 4cc band, i had superb restriction with no fill for about 10 weeks after surgery and following that, every single fill took me to a "sweet spot" that was sufficient for steady weight loss, until it waned a bit and then it was time for another fill and I was back to the green zone. The only difference fills really made was that that sweet spot lasted longer and longer until eventuallty all needed was a once a year 0.1cc to top me up back to where I was. I have never had this frustrating bandster hell or this waiting months to get to a good spot, it was instant with the 4cc band.

With the newer, larger capacity bands it seems to take SO much longer to start losing weight, whereas it literally fell off me after surgery.

I was also told they the Surgeon decides what you need when you are opened up. I have a 10cc band and only have 3.8 cc, At one time I had 4 cc but was too tight so I had .2 taken out. Now a 1½ later since my last fill/unfill I am going in for a fill again. People with the 14 cc that I know have to have many fills to get some restriction. Just hang in there you will get there soon. Ask for a larger fill when you go in, some doctors will give you more, but my Dr would only give ½ cc at a time. he liked it slow and steady. But if you are self pay and have a large band it could cost a fortune by the time you get there. request a larger fill each time.

How does the good medical professional think the Surgeons decide . . just seeing whats in the drawer today, flip a coin, close his eyes and pick one?

Cheri

Elcee I hate to tell you but everyones stomach is the same size no matter how fat you are. My doctor has done over 3500 surgeries and he told us it didnt matter how obese someone was everyones stomach is the same size so its just whatever the doctor does. He doesnt match a size to your stomach.

When we were in grade school we thought our teacher knew everything too. I would like to believe everything my surgeon says and I am sure I do most everything, but I still research things. In church and your Pastor preaches ( I love him ) and what to believe everything he says too but don't think people don't go home and read the Bible to make sure that is what God said or the Bible says. How come some people without Bands can eat a whole pizza and others just a few slices and are stuffed

Cheri