Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left shoulder pain 2 yrs later

It's been 2 years since I've had lap band surgery. Recently I've noticed left shoulder pain and after having it for a month or so can finally associate it with after eating. I describe it as shoulder pain but it's really more like under my left collar bone really. I've read some research about referred pain from the phrenic nerve in the diaphragm and wonder how unusual this is among other bandsters. I have read posts about people having revisions due to pain and that's not something I want to face. In fact my pain is only present after larger meals. Possible I could be eating too much but just would like to get some feedback. Attempt not to scare me too much lol :) I'm a nurse who already over thinks life lol~

i just had the lapband a month ago but I notice shoulder and back pain after I eat too much also. hmmm.

It's been 2 years since I've had lap band surgery. Recently I've noticed left shoulder pain and after having it for a month or so can finally associate it with after eating. I describe it as shoulder pain but it's really more like under my left collar bone really. I've read some research about referred pain from the phrenic nerve in the diaphragm and wonder how unusual this is among other bandsters. I have read posts about people having revisions due to pain and that's not something I want to face. In fact my pain is only present after larger meals. Possible I could be eating too much but just would like to get some feedback. Attempt not to scare me too much lol :) I'm a nurse who already over thinks life lol~

I had it for a whole year after surgery then after I had my first fill it went away however I do get it when I eat too much. It is the band pressing on the nerve maybe you can get a little taken out to see if that helps some people end up getting their band out because they cant get rid of the pain. I dealt with it.

Im only one and a half week out of surgery. I have already had 2 horribly, painful days where the left shoulder and neck pain was so bad that my doctor suggested going to the ER. Went to the ER and they ran all kinds of tests. Said everything was normal and nothing wrong with me. When I saw the doctor the very next day he did state that the pain usually does happen from either too much gas in the stomach causing squeezing and issues where the band gets moved around a lot, or eating too much which can cause the band to be placed in stress rubbing again or hitting that nere that is extremely close to where the bad is located. The doctor checked my port and made sure that there was absolutely NO air or saline in my band. In less than 2 days after seeing the doctor I've had severe pain again today. I was at work, again when it happened. I had only had a yogurt for Breakfast, half a banana about 3 hours later, and then oatmeal about 2 hours after that. I had NOT had anything to drink and the pain started an HOUR after I had eaten the oatmeal. I have been in pain all afternoon and was AFRAID to eat or drink anything. Finally I did have about a 1/2 cup of vegetable Soup (pureed) and a tiny swallow of Water. I am terrified of that PAIN :angry: and do NOT want it to show its ugly head again. The doctor did tell me that it should not last more than 30-45 minutes at a time (try 6 hours today!), and that it should only happen in the early stages of recovery. It should NOT be a common occurance and to let him know what was happening. I have my post-op appointment with my doctor scheduled this coming wednesday and I am going to be very proactive about this issue. For now I know that I am not eating enough, getting enough Protein (maybe 30 grams a day if that) and am very concerned that if I eat or drink hardly anything at all the pain starts back up. I have no idea on what to do about this issue! Any ideas out there fellow bandsters?

Post surgical pain was different than the pain I have now. I remember the pain you are talking about it and yeah it was gosh aweful!!! I was so scared. I tried to walk alot bc my dr said it was gas used to air up your belly during surgery so he has room to work. It's actually co2 and the body has to just absorb it. I promise you it took 3-4 weeks. If you look back at some of my older posts I was in a panic becuse I couldn't chug Water like I was use to because of the discomfort. It usually does find its way into your shoulder and neck on the left side. Let us know your progress. Best wishes!! :)

I have the shoulder pain. Referred pain from the phrenic nerve. I get it when I eat too much or too quickly. It is a miserable pain so I try to refrain from doing either of those things. Its kind of my "tell" when to stop. :rolleyes:

I'm 2 1/2 years out and still get the pain 1-2 times/week. I notice it when I'm driving and breathing shallow - not so much after eating. It lasts for about 20-30 minutes and goes away. Mostly it's like a knife point right on the top of my left shoulder. I too think it's a phrenic nerve issue. My band is rather on the loose side but at a good place for me. I would be afraid to get it any tighter due to the pain.

Just a thought, but you may want to try a few things (and this is just my opinion - no medical expertise here). One, a chewable ibuprofen with plenty of liquid to wash it past the band. Two, maybe eat 4-5 smaller meals instead of 3 to keep from overeating. Three, watch your sodium levels and get your carb from fruits and veggies (my thinking is that carrying Water weight may aggravate the problem). Four, drink plenty of fluids. Five - a slight unfill if it bothers you too much. Take deep breaths and see if that helps alleviate some of the pain. It seems to help me.

Anyway, just know you are not alone with the shoulder pain. Mine isn't enough to do anything about, but it does get a touch painful at times. Good luck to you!

I've also read it's an indication of being "full" for banders....I got it today and loked it up again to make sure other post-op folks were still complaining about it. It does hurt a whole lot but does resolve after an hour or so. Guess it should also drive us to eat less per meal:) Hope you find something that helps. I usually suffer through it because I don't like taking pills.< /p>

About 2 months ago, I started getting shoulder pain in my left shoulder. I figured out that it always hurt after I had eaten. In the last two weeks or so, I have noticed that it only hurts after drinking soda. I rarely drink soda but when I do, I get that pain. Not only is soda bad for me, but it also causes pain. As you should know, soda causes you to burp quite alot... but when you have the lap band you don't burp as much. I found out that the soda pain (what I call it) I have been getting is because I am not burping, therefore the gas is not leaving my body and it is working its way up into my shoulder. (If you can remember right after you got your surgery, most of us had bad gas pains because of the gas they put in during surgery to bloat our stomachs.

I have not even had my Lap Band for a year and I have lost about 33 pounds. I wish I had lost more, but it is better than nothing!!! I am only 16 years old.

How full is your band? I started experiencing something when I eat too fast - old fashioned way, or have bubbled drinks. For a short period of time - until it gets through, or out)). Now exactly shoulder, but somewhat close.