Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Bashers

I have been reading everything I can all over the internet and talking to people who have the band to gain all of the information I possibly can before getting banded and I am so surprised to see the level of band bashing! Is the band really as bad as "they" say it is? I do understand that every surgery has its own risks and benefits, but when people say 'anything but the band' that worries me. I do NOT want my insides rerouted with RNY and I do need something to help with weight loss but I have lingering doubts now with all of the anit-band comments. Can some seasoned band lovers help ease the doubts?

Well I wouldnt say that I am a seasoned bandster but I do have friends that have been banded for over a year and I have been banded a little over 4 weeks. I have to say that me and all my friends are extremely happy with our banding experience. I have had absolutely not sickness, no problems and am losing weight rapidly and evereything seems to be great. One of my good friends just had her one year banding anniversary and has lost 112 pounds and has never gotten sick once. She has experienced a couple of times of getting stuck but she said that both times it really was because she was rushing eating. We did go to the same hospital and surgeon group to have our surgeries but had different surgeons. Good luck! Follow the rules and you will be fine.

Hi...

I started a post here asking others if they were to go back would they choose to be banded again because I also came across a large amount of negative feedback on obesityhelp.com which put me on a path of questioning my decision to get banded. I am still at the very beginning of the process having only attended the initial seminar. I have my first appointment scheduled Oct 12. What I have decided personally for me is that I can lose weight without the band but I can't keep it off. I am hoping with the band I will have more success keeping it off along with attending a lot of support groups. To be banded or not to be banded is such an individual personal decision that only you can make.

Good luck with your journey

Jim

I'm a band fan but must say I didnt research the other options. For me it was that I know I can lose weight but cant keep it off. The band is a tool and will work as long as I use it properly. I am losing weight and feeling better every week. I would definitely have the band again but can't say its right for everyone - that is a matter of personal circumstances and choice. Good luck.

I looked into the other options...not alot but enough to know that I wanted the procedure that was least invasive and reversible. My down time for this was minimal. had surgery on Thursday and was back to work the Tuesday after a Monday holiday...I could have gone back on Monday, if I had needed to. Everything is going to have naysayers.

I think you need to figure out where those negative posts are coming from, and put everything into proper perspective. In my experience, those people who are the most educated about the band and how it works are the ones who have the fewest problems (if any.) They're not making a lot of posts anywhere because they don't need to ask for help, or complain about what's working for them. The negative posts you're reading are from a relatively small number of people, when compared to the huge numbers of people who have the surgery every year. If someone isn't having an issue, why post about it anywhere?

One reason I chose the band was that it's reversible, and I can get my system mostly back to normal if I ever need to have the band removed. But at this point in time, after nine months of consistent and (frankly) remarkable weight loss, I have no intentions of going back, unless I should develop some sort of issue with the band at some point. If it ever happens, I'll make the right decision at that time. In the meantime, I'll keep working my band like the tool that it is, and I'll continue to enjoy living my life as the skinny person I always knew was living inside of me. Put me down as someone who has nothing but good things to say about my band experience.

Good luck in your journey!

Dave

Hi...

I started a post here asking others if they were to go back would they choose to be banded again because I also came across a large amount of negative feedback on obesityhelp.com which put me on a path of questioning my decision to get banded. I am still at the very beginning of the process having only attended the initial seminar. I have my first appointment scheduled Oct 12. What I have decided personally for me is that I can lose weight without the band but I can't keep it off. I am hoping with the band I will have more success keeping it off along with attending a lot of support groups. To be banded or not to be banded is such an individual personal decision that only you can make.

Good luck with your journey

Jim

Well, there's your problem. You went to Obesityhelp.com. They are all about band bashing. Personally, I would NEVER allow myself to be gutted like a fish and my insides rerouted! I have found that band bashers are either A} uneducated about lapband or B} fellow bandsters that didn't follow the plan and thus failed. In either case, their opinion doesn't count!

I am a new bandster. Many of my friends and/or coworkers are choosing the sleeve right now. Those people are looking for rapid weight loss. But I think they are paying the price too. They were all miserable and in a lot of pain and sick quite often in their first few months. I didn't feel I needed to do something that drastic. I wasn't looking for rapid weight loss, just to be healthy again. After a few days post op. I was feeling good and wasn't miserable. This is why I chose the band and I'm not a bit sorry that I did.

Thank you all for your replies. I am pretty secure in my decision but just needed the positivity to counteract the bashers I guess!

I'm still in the process of getting approved but the band is the only way I'm willing to go. Like you I don't want any re-routing or cutting done. I think a lot of people are negative towards the band because you lose weight more slowly, which I always heard that losing weight slowly is the healthiest way anyways. Also I hear a lot about about people who get banded gain a lot back but I don't "personally" know anyone that that has happened to. I know it "can" happen but its not the majority of bandsters. You will know in your heart which is best for you.

Thank you all for your replies. I am pretty secure in my decision but just needed the positivity to counteract the bashers I guess!

I'm still in the process of getting approved but the band is the only way I'm willing to go. Like you I don't want any re-routing or cutting done. I think a lot of people are negative towards the band because you lose weight more slowly, which I always heard that losing weight slowly is the healthiest way anyways. Also I hear a lot about about people who get banded gain a lot back but I don't "personally" know anyone that that has happened to. I know it "can" happen but its not the majority of bandsters. You will know in your heart which is best for you.

It's more likely that someone who has had bypass will regain.

It's more likely that someone who has had bypass will regain.

I know that by the book, a bandster is expected to lose more slowly than a bypass or sleeve patient, and on average only about 50% to 60% of their excess weight. I've been following the rules, (for the most part), and I've lost 119 pounds in 9 months. That's more than 13 pounds a month. I can't imagine anyone losing weight more quickly than that without being sick.

In my case, I'm healthier than I've been in years, all my lab work is now in the "normal" range, my meds are being reduced or eliminated, and I feel absolutely AWESOME! I can't see that bypass or sleeve would have been a better way for me to go. And as aware of my diet as I am, I don't expect I'll be gaining back weight like some of the folks who have those other surgeries.

Dave

One more bit of positivity....the band is adjustable.

After losing 50% of my body weight, I've been maintaining for the past year. Over the summer, I began getting hungrier and eating more, and I gained 5 lbs. So....I made an appointment for a fill next week. Try doing that with a sleeve or a bypass. I'm sure my little gain will be stopped in its tracks. The band is just what I needed.

Cindy

I didn't feel I needed to do something that drastic. I wasn't looking for rapid weight loss, just to be healthy again.

That is just the way I feel about it.

One more bit of positivity....the band is adjustable.

After losing 50% of my body weight, I've been maintaining for the past year. Over the summer, I began getting hungrier and eating more, and I gained 5 lbs. So....I made an appointment for a fill next week. Try doing that with a sleeve or a bypass. I'm sure my little gain will be stopped in its tracks. The band is just what I needed.

Cindy

Love this!