Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK I've got another question- How do you all feel about drinking fluids with a meal?

Do you drink at all when you eat? If so, how much?

If not, how long do you wait before and after eating?

I'm just interested to know and understand some other perspectives and what works for different people?

Thanks

I am 5 months post op and have adjusted to not drinking while eating. My dr told us no drinking 15 min. before and to wait a hour before you drink after you eat. What I do as a precaution, since I have had a few things get stuck. I do take a bottle of Water with me to lunch since I sit in my car incase I need to take a sip to wash something down. Hope that helps, in the beginning I had a hard time getting use to not drinking while I am eating. But your body does learn to adjust.

I've been drinking lightly with my meals from the beginning. I don't drink a lot, but I do sip as needed with meals, to keep things moving. I've had no ill side effects. If the logic of not drinking is to allow food to sit in the pouch longer, thus reducing your appetite, then what if I'm using Portion Control and have a fixed amount of food on my plate? If it's a bandster-sized portion, and I know that when the food is gone, I'm done eating, no matter what, then it makes no difference to me whether or not I drink with that meal. I don't cheat or graze or snack between meals, and I eat on a regular schedule.

My weight loss results support that attitude, and the RN who does my fills says there is a lot of recent data that brings the "no drinking" thing into question. He says if I want to drink with my meals, I should go ahead and drink with my meals.

Dave

P.S. And I didn't reply to your other thread, but I also use a straw with the one Protein shake I drink every morning. I've done that since I had my surgery. No side effects of that, either.

According to my doctor, drinking with meals is one of the top reasons that lap band patients have lack of weight loss success. I just don't do it. Wait at least an hour after eating before drinking again, and stop drinking anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes before.

The majority of the time, I do not drink with meals. If I go out to eat (which is rare unless I'm away from home) I do drink with my meal. Not like I used to. I think it is just habit, since at home I don't bring a drink to the table with me, but at a rester aunt you can be sure there is Water on the table. I do occasionally have a soda too. (Diet)

I drink up until I start eating; and then wait an hour afterward. I find the better I eat (read healthy), the less salty the foods and thus I am not thirsty.

we have been told that the rule of not drinking is changing. now from what I have been told drinking before and after is with no time limit. if drinking with the meal wait at least a minute after a bite to give it time to talk to your senses and not wash it down too soon.

If I don't stop my drinking at least 45 min. before a meal I can't get very much food in before I am full. I don't drink with the meal, and I don't restirct myself after. Usually, it is dinner and I want coffee after :blink: . I use a straw with my Water, it keeps me from glupping it down. That has given me a few bad moments; it caused a bubble that had killer pain. I might be the only person who gets "stuck" on Water.

My current lack of weight loss is due mostly to the fact that I don't eat as I should. Most days it's one or two meals if I remember. I don't get hungry very often which is funny since I don't have much restriction. If I have to much on the plate it just dissappears :(

I thought this rule was funny - but I have to say, it's not an issue because I simply cannot drink after a meal. And if I drink within 10 minutes of eating, you can bet I will see it again. If I drink when I am eating, it hurts. If I drink to soon after, it comes back up. Doesn't take any discipline for me - it's simply not possible. But, my band is TIIIIIGGGGHHHTTTT.

;)

No way no how. If I take a drink while I am eating it cause me to erupt.ohmy.gifIt also causes a lot of pain .I wait at least 15 minutes after I am done then I have no issues.

Kat

I have never drank with my meals since sugery 18 months ago I wait at least a half hour after before I even think about drinking. I understand the concept completely.

I don't drink while I eat, ever. I'm with honk on this one with the drinking up until I take my first bite of food. I'm also the same as MollyRN and the others with not being able to drink during or after a meal. If it's a rule or not doesn't really matter, I just have to do things the way it works for me. I do like my band restriction fairly tight to keep my weight in check. It really isn't a hardship after being banded for over 2 yrs., it's just a way of life. I have plenty of time to drink between meals.

I am like MollyRN, I cannot drink with a meal, it feels like a stopped up sink and I feel like I am going to throw up. I can drink before and I can drink after as long as I wait 15 to 30 minutes.