Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie and scared

I'm new to this site and am in the decision phase of surgery. I've been overweight all my life. I'm at my heaviest (190) right now, but have been up and down from 140 on up. But, now I'm having medical problems such as high blood pressure, high cholestrol, and am a borderline diabetic. My family has a history of weight problems and all the medical problems to go with it. They have resigned to the fact that this lifestyle is "just the way it is", but i hate feeling like this and am trying to omit myself from this cycle. After being diagnosed with the health problems, I was referred by my dr to have the surgery. I'm very scared and reluctant about regretting the surgery and being sick all the time. I'm very outgoing and don't want this interferring or limiting me in my activities. I also don't want to talk to my family about it, because I don't want them to feel like I'm shaming the way they are (they don't believe in surgery). I live out of state and just want to do this on my own terms without anyone discouraging me. I've got my first appointment next month and feel alone and scared in making this decision.

Hey there!

Welcome to the site! My name is Heather and I was banded April 8th, 2010. I started this journey at 259 with my all time highest weight being around 280 and I am at 197 right now! I was where you are and scared isn't a bad place to be. This is a MAJOR decision and you have to make it for you, not anyone else. I too am an outgoing goofball and I've been able to keep my lifestyle the same minus the all you can eat buffets! laugh.gif I've had a little issue with heartburn, but I'm working with my doctor on that (it runs in the family).

Welcome to the family :)

Hugs

Heather

I'm new to this site and am in the decision phase of surgery. I've been overweight all my life. I'm at my heaviest (190) right now, but have been up and down from 140 on up. But, now I'm having medical problems such as high blood pressure, high cholestrol, and am a borderline diabetic. My family has a history of weight problems and all the medical problems to go with it. They have resigned to the fact that this lifestyle is "just the way it is", but i hate feeling like this and am trying to omit myself from this cycle. After being diagnosed with the health problems, I was referred by my dr to have the surgery. I'm very scared and reluctant about regretting the surgery and being sick all the time. I'm very outgoing and don't want this interferring or limiting me in my activities. I also don't want to talk to my family about it, because I don't want them to feel like I'm shaming the way they are (they don't believe in surgery). I live out of state and just want to do this on my own terms without anyone discouraging me. I've got my first appointment next month and feel alone and scared in making this decision.

Your band shouldn't limit you at all, except with eating of course. I'd say I go about 95% of my day forgetting that the band is even in me, I just don't think about it. Only time it pops in my head is when I'm full.

Being scared is natural. This is absolutely going to be a major decision that effects your life! I was just banded on aug 19,2011 and am very happy about my decision!! Yes of course it would be nice if you could have the support of your family, but if you know that they are going discourage you from doing something so positive for your life then just take this journey on your own! There's a lot of support on here and you can get support from your dr and their office. If it will increase your quality of life then nothing else matters! Good luck on your journey!!

Hi Yoyo,

I'm in the same boat - trying to make the decision is really scary isn't it? I'm scared or judgement from family and friends, but I've struggled with my weight since I was 11. I'm now finding that I'm very stiff in the mornings. I put off doing anything fun etc because I'm always mentally saying 'I'll do it when I'm slim'. I've never been slim!

I think there seems to be amazing support on this site, and reading all the different forums is definitely moving me towards getting it done! I think the other posters are bang on, it's got to be a decision that makes you happy!

Very best of luck...maybe I'll see you on here again and we'll both be newly banded!

:o)

I also went back and forth about having the surgery - i wanted to lose it "on my own" - well guess what - even with the band i'm losing it on my own - this is a tool not a magic bullet - i still have to make food choices every day - i still have to talk myself into exercising ... in the past i've tried every diet out there - and usually with some success - i've lost 25 pounds at least 25 times!!! after 2 years of do it, dont do it - i finally did it - i had surgery 15 June and i've lost 40 lbs since 1 June - i feel great - my biggest fear is that i would feel tired and yucky for months and that i would hate food - (a friend had this experience) - so first thing is everyone is different - and your mindset has a lot to do with it - in my opinion - i've had a great experience - i feel great and i still love food - i treat myself to good food - crab, shrimp, fresh veges and good Protein - i look fwd to every meal - so yes i'm still obsessed with food, but now in a healthy good way!!! i hope anyway... i have energy and sleep better and my outlook on life is always bright and sunny - people have noticed this - i really wasn't "seeing" a big difference - i knew my clothes were getting looser, but when i looked in the mirror i looked about the same - then a friend called me "droopy drawers" - i loved it!!! i went and bought some clothes that fit and wow - i've gotten lots of complements and i can see how much better i look!!! i still have a long way to go to reach goal - but so far it has been a great decision for me - i wish you the best - but it really is your decision - make it for you!! a great book is Before and After - you can find it on bariatriceating.com - this is a good source for Vitamins and protein also - good luck