Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Apology to LBT

I can't believe you deleted posts... AGAIN... I wondered what was missing, as someone quoted something that was no longer in the thread.

sigh...

I believe we should get what we pay for.

I believe we should educate ourselves as much as possible.

I believe that the surgery itself is only the beginning of the journey.

And while I think lots of people need/benefit from some sort of program, I'm with Kare on the "my choice" bit. I was self pay, so okay, I didn't have a lot of options I could afford. To tell the truth, I don't know that for a fact - I think I just assumed I would only be able to afford to go to Mexico. But I was definitely over jumping through anyone's hoops, and surgery and fills was basically all I wanted from my band journey.

I'm glad I had the Mexico option. And everything was going exactly as planned until... well, you know. :bananajump:

I guess some things in Ortiz's post didn't stand out to me like they did to others - I didn't think he was saying that the eroded people here were giving misinformation. And I guess I glossed over the "similar techniques" comment, as I have no idea how much one doc differs from the next.

A big congrats on your 12 pounds! And big hugs all around.

xxoo

Lisa, no need to apologize.. Heck..I'm an Ortiz fan I did not even take offense to your post..We all have our own opinions and have the right to voice them, if someone does not like it then too damn bad.

You better never ever leave LBT..you are my I need you...we need eachother. You keep this board funny and in good spirits!

you have passion and no need to defend it.

Right on!

There's not just one Lapband placement technique unless my research is inaccurate. I'm sure my surgeons were not lying when they said the original technique has been improved upon. But when that was questioned things went off the deep end. Why hasn't anyone quantified that statement with some factual evidence instead of twisting the entire thread as if all us eroded bandless people are sitting around wallowing in self-pity?

I spoke to Craig Authur today on the phone personally in regards to my erosion, he personally called me if you can believe that...I asked him how he could explain why so many of us eroded at the same time from MX ..he specifically told me that the US docs use the same technique as the MX docs, and that many MX docs train the US docs. He asked to have my permission to contact Dr. Ortiz in regards to my erosion and to get he serial number of my band from Ortiz. I told him yes...he is also fully aware of Lisa, Penni and I all eroding at the same time and all having our bands placed at the same time with 2 very experienced MX docs . I told him about Francesca as well & he wants her to call him...he told me he was going to look into it and see if my band was defective, do not know if there is any truth to any of this but it is what he told me..

I can't believe you deleted posts... AGAIN... I wondered what was missing, as someone quoted something that was no longer in the thread.

Yes, deletions can make threads kind of confusing!

So if a post is quoted in another post and that post is deleted it still exists in the quote?? If so, then from now on when the D'Lahlin one posts something particularily rantsome or spicey one of us should quote the whole thing in a post & that way her deletion madness will be thwarted!

hehehe...

"So if a post is quoted in another post and that post is deleted it still exists in the quote?? If so, then from now on when the D'Lahlin one posts something particularily rantsome or spicey one of us should quote the whole thing in a post & that way her deletion madness will be thwarted!"

Well now you're just playing dirty. I like that.

DeLete

There's not just one Lapband placement technique unless my research is inaccurate. I'm sure my surgeons were not lying when they said the original technique has been improved upon.

As I'm in Australia, I stay away from all the Mexico etc threads. BUT I just wanted to let you know that this is one of the first things my surgeon told me!! Positioning has changed drastically from how it was placed originally - which was quite a while ago in Australia. I'm sure it must be changing all over the world. :bananajump:

I posted on a different thread last Tuesday and told everyone that I had just seen my surgeon and talked to him about my erosion fears. He told me that Mexico is still wrapping the stomach around the entire band, including the buckle, which the US surgeons are no longer doing. The reason? He said they have found that most erosions are caused by the buckle. It protrudes and it is made of a harder material. Now the US surgeons turn the buckle outward and wrap the stomach around only the smooth ring.

As I also stated in that thread, he told me the official name for the proceedure that is no longer being used and I will call his office on Tuesday (he schedules surgeries on M-W-F) and ask him for the name of the proceedure again.

While it may be true that most doctors use "similar techniques" it is not true that they are all exactly the same. There is obviously a big difference that is showing up in the statistcs of fewer erosions. I will see if he will give me those as well and update this info as soon as I can.

Susan, are you talking about the Pars Flaccida Approach? Dr Pleatman (I know, your fave) explained that on a thread somewhere. I gotta get to bed so if you want to, do a search on Pars Flaccida. It's the technique my doc used on me. Got it in writing on his surgery notes!

Pars Flaccida vs perigastric(??)

I talked to Craig Arthur for almost two hours when I found out my band was eroded. He explained that the Mexico surgeons were trained with the perigastric technique and it was discovered to be causing more erosion problems vs the Pars Flaccida. I asked then why are the Mexico docs still using this technique. He said that not all are still using it, and Inamed had strongly suggested they use the Pars Flaccida technique. THey cannot enforce what technique the surgeon uses.

Inamed has talked to Dr. Billy about my erosion and they have my band as well.

Inamed is in cahoots with most all the surgeons as well. Just a bunch of good ole boys if you ask me. OOPS!! Gave my unsolicted opinion again. LOL!!!

Thanks Kathy.. I did look up the proceedures and from what I can gather the difference is where the band is located on the stomach and the names of the two proceedures are linked to the names of the sections which are cut thru in order to run the band around the stomach. This is what I found.

Interesting but not quite what I was looking for.

post-205630-13813132825825_thumb.png