Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When do people notice the weight loss?

Hi Everyone. I was banded the last week in May 2011. My starting weight was 293 and now i'm down to 259. I'm not looking for complements but when will people say " Wow ! You've lost weight ! " Maybe the bigger you are , the more weight you must lose for people to notice ?

Thanks

Wow, you are doing really well, congratulations! People started commenting for me when I had to buy new clothes. I think it was less obvious while I was wearing my old fattest clothes because they couldn't necessarily see that they were looser and I was losing. I am sure you will start hearing all of those positive comments very, very soon!

some people may not know if it is ok to say anything. so many people take offense to others mentioning their weight, they think saying nothing is better. I started in Feb at 304 and am at about 243 and people notice ...especially with my clothes being baggy. good luck and congrats!

people noticed me when my scrubs were super baggy, had to go buy new ones as my pants were about to fall down and my coworkers were making fun of me. LOL

i noticed my in my face and my clothes. i have lost more inches than pounds. sounds like you are doing great. congrats on the weight loss.

You are doing a great job! It depends on many things, but for me it was the way I lost. It seemed to come off my face first so folks saw it early. If your arms, legs or just your tummy are getting smaller first it might take a little longer for them to see. Until they do it is your private joy to get on the scale and keep seeing the number go down. Keep up the good work!

Congrats!! That's awesome

Hi Everyone. I was banded the last week in May 2011. My starting weight was 293 and now i'm down to 259. I'm not looking for complements but when will people say " Wow ! You've lost weight ! " Maybe the bigger you are , the more weight you must lose for people to notice ?

Thanks

WOW! Congratulations on your progress. Keep it up.

I don't hear it from many - really only from two people that did not know I was having the surgury. I've lost about half the weight I need to. Maybe folks don't focus on our bodies as much as we do. Maybe they don't have time to notice - especially in a work environment. I agree, I am not looking for complements (they make me uncomfortable anyway), but there has to be some kind of acknowledgement - if indeed they notice. To be fair - I changed my hairstyle/and some color change about the same time I started losing, so maybe they can't figure out what is going on with me - they just know that something is. It's like my husband. He grew a beard and stopped with the insane comb-over at the same time. Folks couldn't figure it out.

I didn't do it for anyone but me anyway, I just want to be healthy ;-)

Congratulations on your loss so far, you are doing great!!! After about 50 pounds people started telling my husband I looked great and asked what I was doing. I have been very open about my surgery and if people ask I tell them. After losing 65 or so pounds, people began to tell me I look great. Now at close to 100 pounds lost, I get at least 1 person a day commenting on my weight loss. It feels great to get the compliment, but it makes me a little uncomfortable too. I think when I started buying clothes that fit me better, people started to notice my new curves and that along with going back to school and seeing people I haven't seen for months has prompted all of the recent comments. Keep up the great work and good luck to you!!!

Question: Has anyone noticed how good your hair looks lately? For me that was the first sign. Don't know if people were afraid to ask or if they just could not put their finger on it.

It can take a long time. I "only" had a BMI of 36 and I had to lose over 40 lb before anyone really noticed and before I reliably went down a clothing size! I was pretty astounded about the clothing size thing I must say. It was really 60lb before people were saying all over the place wow youv'e lost weight. Early on you probably look a bit different to people but they're not sure enough to say something.

To get what I'd call thin - ie. no big fat rolls on the gut, no muffin top, able to wear whatever I pleased and not shop in the plus sized stores, I had to get well under a BMI of 25. People are different, I'm very tall so I remained a plus size for a very long time, the top of my healthy weight range is still plus sized (which starts in Australiai afrom your size 12) for me.

All those things amazed me because I had in my head that to be say 20lb overweight was "not that ft" but really, it is!

That's the other thing, people often post here that they're disappointed, they've lost 50lb and they still look fat. Well, if you've got 100 to lose, of course you do, you're 50lb overweight. You need to get your mind set to enjoy your achievements regardless of appearance because that reward really only comes late in the picture.

Congrats!!

As a much larger person I think it does take some time before people notice. I've only had 1 person mention it to me that didnt know I had surgery. I sometimes think my friends and family say they notice just to be nice because when I look at myself I dont see too much of a difference except in my face and like another poster said, if you are still wearing the same clothes (like me) they really cant tell. I'm hoping when I hit 75 pounds more people will notice, but its not too important to me. We'll see :)

I started out heavier as well and only people who know about my surgery have commented on the weight I have lost. It will probably take another 30 pounds before others comment. I'm just happy that I'm fitting into smaller sizes. I don't have to go shopping as I have so many sizes available in my own closet. I was banded April 28th and have put on my largest pants each month bandiversery to notice the inches I have lost. Celebrate your body changing and eventually others will notice.

The acknowledgement should be your pride in yourself and your new clothes.! Good luck!

WOW! Congratulations on your progress. Keep it up.

I don't hear it from many - really only from two people that did not know I was having the surgury. I've lost about half the weight I need to. Maybe folks don't focus on our bodies as much as we do. Maybe they don't have time to notice - especially in a work environment. I agree, I am not looking for complements (they make me uncomfortable anyway), but there has to be some kind of acknowledgement - if indeed they notice. To be fair - I changed my hairstyle/and some color change about the same time I started losing, so maybe they can't figure out what is going on with me - they just know that something is. It's like my husband. He grew a beard and stopped with the insane comb-over at the same time. Folks couldn't figure it out.

I didn't do it for anyone but me anyway, I just want to be healthy ;-)

I didn't tell anyone about my surgery so no one was really looking for me to lose weight. The first person that noticed was my sister-in-law and I had lost at least 30 lb, maybe closer to 40 lb (and I started out over 300). No one else said anything til I was probably about 50 or 60 lb down. I think new clothes that fit better really help in that regard because even if your old clothes are loose, they are hiding any shape changes. It is nice to have the positive reinforcement though and now that I'm down over a hundred, many people notice regularily. Keep plugging away and it will come!