Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not as happy or excited as I thought I would be

I have weighed my self only a few times since surgery on 8/4, and I am down about 8 lbs, 23 lbs total. I know that I shouldn't lose a lot to begin with, nor do I expect to.

I just am not as excited or as happy as I thought as I would be before I started all this.

Even though I see the numbers go down, it doesn't feel real. I keep expecting the numbers go back up.

I wonder when it will hit me that this is for real.

Hey there!! I can understand where you are coming from. I actually was really excited for months until I had to wait for the insurance company to approve it all. Those two months were horrible, I was depressed, drinking, started smoking again, and wasn't working out. After my date was set I kicked it into high gear! I did great on my liquid diet for two weeks and lost 14 lbs. I had surgery on July 28th and have lost a total of 25 lbs. For the first week I was in shock. I would just look up and think, did I really just do this?? What do I do now?? It doesn't fall off that is for sure but it comes off healthy and that is what matters. I am two and a half weeks post op and feel amazing. I am hungry, all the time which scares me but I feel the best I have in years. Take it all in, be proud of yourself for getting through it all and start living the life you want to live...it's all possible!!

i am 5 days post opt and feeling the same way i have lost 20 pounds total I just keeping thinking this isnt going to work or why did i do this. I just want to feel better soon then i know my mindset will be different

The very first time those jeans that were just a little tight slide on without a problem. When someone says "Wow, you look good, have you lost weight. There will be lots of NSV in your future just wait for it. The excitement will soar

Don't get discouraged!

You know this takes time. You won't always get the results you want but if you stick to your plan, you'll do great.

I couldnt agree more! My first week was really difficult. Then all of a sudden I realized my clothes were starting to fall off..... I went from a 26 at my heaviest to a size 20 that I bought just the other day! Best feeling ever! My surgery was august 2nd... Since than I've lost about 14 pounds and before surgery I lost 20... So about 35 total :-) and it's only the beginning!

The very first time those jeans that were just a little tight slide on without a problem. When someone says "Wow, you look good, have you lost weight. There will be lots of NSV in your future just wait for it. The excitement will soar

I had the same feeling! I have dieted most of my adult life and could always lose about 20 lbs before giving up. Once I hit 30 lbs it became real to me, that I was actually doing this and succeeding! I have now had to buy a few new clothing items since nothing was fitting and more and more people are noticing which makes it all the better :-)

Good luck to you!

For me, the first few weeks after surgery were so filled with healing up and learning how to deal with a liquid diet (three weeks of it post-op), and whatever else, I had little time to think about me. The scale dropped by a fair number each time I stepped on it, but I knew a lot was Water weight , and so I didn't think it was real. I expected those numbers to climb again, but they never did.

When I started back on solid foods, my weight loss slowed to a crawl, and I knew THAT was when the 'real" work started. But I stayed on track, worked my plan, and did what I'd learned how to do. Eventually, the weight started to drop off, and it's also gone for good. After the initial rush and excitement and fear of the unknown and anticipation leading up to surgery, it all kind of flowed together during those first weeks as the "after surgery reality check."

It became absolutely, undeniably real for me the first time I went to put on a favorite shirt, and it fit like a tent. I had to check to make sure I was buttoning it right. Then I started checking the rest of my clothes, and they were ALL too big. Not just a little too big, but a LOT. Pants I could barely fasten pre-op were now so large, they slid off me while still fastened. I felt like I was a kid playing "dress up" in my father's closet. it was like being "The Incredible Shriking Man" or something in a movie. I was delighted.

After sorting through, (and trying on) everything I owned, if it was too big, it went in a donation bag for Goodwill. And I had the pleasure of shopping for clothes that actually fit. Of course, as time has gone on, I've had to do it three times now, as the clothes I bought to replace the too-big stuff also became too-big. I started this in size 3X and 4X shirts. I now wear a size Large. And boy, Goodwill sure loves me... ;)

Yes, the weight loss is real. Really real. And it's AWESOME! :)

Dave

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm sure this is just because I'm so accustomed to losing and gaining back. But as the clothes start falling off, and I need smaller sizes, I know that I will be more excited.