Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does everyone really eat proteins first

I know we are suppose to eat Proteins first to help with the feeling of satiety. Truthfully I haven't really applied this except for dinners. Breakfast is usually yogurt - so no solid Protein there- lunch is salads, Soups, or egg beaters, or veggies/fruit so limited solid proteins.

What proteins to you eat first for breakfast, lunch, and dinners? Does it really make a difference getting proteins in first?

Protein is supposed to be number one then others. If you dont want breakfast then have a high Protein Shake with little sugar like EAS carb control. Yes I eat protein first with every single meal then veggies and fruits. If I eat oatmeal in the moring I put one scoop of vanilla Protein Powder and an activia yogurt thats about 30 grams of protein right there. I do eat salads for lunch but with more meat then salad. I like the lloyds meats then I dont need dressing they are all barbeque and dinner I eat just meat once in a while a vegetable but there are lots of protein choices out there. You just have to get creative. Cottage cheese, Beans, yogurt, cheese, meat, milk, sugarfree pudding, anything thats dairy is protein. Your weight loss will be faster with protein in the beginning

I eat a blend of foods at most meals, that include dense Proteins mixed with other things. (Obvously, if you're having a salad, you aren't going to pick the Protein out and eat just that first, then eat just the lettuce or whatever. Common sense prevails.)

My mornings typically start with a Protein shake in the car on my way to work. It kickstarts my metabolism, and gives my system 30g of protein to start its day. About an hour later for my real breakfast I often eat half a "naked" breakfast sandwich. That's my term for a fried egg, slice of breakfast sausage, and slice of cheese - basically it's the inside of an Egg McMuffin type sandwich, without the muffin. Lots of protein there. And I'm good till lunch time.

lunch is often a salad of some sort. Today it was a mixture of things from the salad bar: A partial scoop of red kidney Beans, some sliced olives, a dozen or so fresh baby spinach leaves, about a half cup diced grilled chicken breast, some grated cheddar cheese, and a small splash of an oil & vinegar dressing. I mixed it all up, and ate the whole thing, a bite at a time. No picking and choosing with that mess. Good protein and not a lot of calories.

dinner tonight will be part of a chicken taco salad at a favorite Mexican restaurant. Hold the sour cream, and have the guacamole on the side. Toss in some fresh salsa, and it's good to go. I eat until my system tells me I'm done, and I leave the table. I may take the rest home for later, or not, depending on how I feel. Easy, breezy...

It's easy to get the protein in if you mix it up wth other things, and control the portions. I don't care for the "diet food" kind of things, so I eat "real world" food whenever I can.

Dave

I try to eat my Protein first whenever possible. Breakfast is usually steel cut oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder and almond butter (33g protein). lunch is either leftover protein and veggies or a salad (yes, I eat the protein first...even in the salad). dinner is also protein and a veggie (again, protein eaten first). I aim for 80-120g of protein each day.

Yes, I do eat my Proteins first. I don't eat as much when I do.

I also like activia yogurt in the morning, but when I have it I mix it with Kashi go lean crunch. It adds more Protein and bulk to it and it stays with me longer. I always eat protein first, following the rules has gotten me where I am.

FROM NJGIRL32: I know we are suppose to eat Proteins first to help with the feeling of satiety. Truthfully I haven't really applied this except for dinners.

This is how the lap band works. These are the rules. You knew them upfront, and yet you question and demand additional fills. Why not follow the rules and use the band as a tool instead of expecting it to be a magic bullet?

The solid Proteins are what your body needs first and foremost, with other varying amounts of veggies, fruits etc. The band works by limiting the food intake and the solids keep the pouch full. With the pouch full, the food rubs against the nerves at the top of the stomach and pouch that tell your brain you are full and not physically hungry. With the more solid foods--eg proteins--you are satisfied.

eggs may not seem like a solid--but if you've ever put one in a straw and tried to get Fluid around them, you'd see it was like a solid.

NJGirl32 eat smart. Follow the rules. If you decide not to and then don't lose what you want, please don't whine here....... It's scary when you're so new, and starting out this way. What will happen when you lose your motivation?

First things first-this IS a learning process so I don't know where you get off with your high than mighty attitude.

You don't know the first thing about me or the changes I have made in my lifestyle.

I am not sure if you have been banded yet or if you have lost any weight-but it is a struggle and frustrating when you are in "bandster hell." Having proper restriction with help with hunger and help "food to rub against your nerves" without that kind of restriction it isn't any different than before the band-that's why fills are important.

I do have Protein in the mornings but not solid protein-as many successful bandsters have yogurt or shakes in the mornings.

I don't know how long you have been on this forum but we offer advice without judgement and we are supportive of each other on this process. I don'tthink anyone of us expects perfection-it is definitely a learning process.

If we are were perfect at following rules we would never have been overweight in the first place. How many diets have YOU been on? How many rules have YOU broken while on them?

So get on your pedestal and if you can't offer nonjudgemental, supportive advice then don't offer any!

FROM NJGIRL32: I know we are suppose to eat Proteins first to help with the feeling of satiety. Truthfully I haven't really applied this except for dinners.

This is how the lap band works. These are the rules. You knew them upfront, and yet you question and demand additional fills. Why not follow the rules and use the band as a tool instead of expecting it to be a magic bullet?

The solid proteins are what your body needs first and foremost, with other varying amounts of veggies, fruits etc. The band works by limiting the food intake and the solids keep the pouch full. With the pouch full, the food rubs against the nerves at the top of the stomach and pouch that tell your brain you are full and not physically hungry. With the more solid foods--eg proteins--you are satisfied.

eggs may not seem like a solid--but if you've ever put one in a straw and tried to get Fluid around them, you'd see it was like a solid.

NJGirl32 eat smart. Follow the rules. If you decide not to and then don't lose what you want, please don't whine here....... It's scary when you're so new, and starting out this way. What will happen when you lose your motivation?

Oh...I see you were banded on August 4th and you haven't gone through Bandster Hell-you are still in the beginning stages of healing and losing. Wait until you continue to follow the rules and aren't losing or are losing painfully slow-then YOU will be the one "whining" about fills. How can you be so jusgmental when you haven't even gone through the process?!! You haven't even had 1 fill yet?

Your question was how to reach satiety......I explained that in a couple different ways so that you would have the answer to your question.

My response is not meant as judgmental but a wake up call for you to be successful! I think that's what we all want and why we are all here.

It's too bad that you write me off just because you're a couple months further along in the process.....I feel sorry for you

I am not writing off because of that-I am writing you off because of your attitude. I actually feel sorry for you because you have no idea of what lies ahead. Stay smug while you are on mushies and healing. I do wish you the best and hopefully one day you'll understand what we go through. If anyone would have told me in my first 2 weeks that I still wouldn't have restriction 10 weeks later I am not sure if I would have believed them. You'll be "whinig" so enough!

I, too, was well educated prior to the band. I researched it and bought books etc. I am a teacher and I have a master's degree - I don't make decisions without being completely informed.

But you assume that once you are educated about a topic then that's that. I could read a 100 books on how to fix a car engine, I could look at DVDs and diagrams-but does that mean I will know what I am doing once I am under the hood?

I don't look at this forum as a place where people whine...it's a place where they find support and if they get off track perhaps we can offer some advice on how to push forward.

Like I said-you have read all the books-but you haven't walked the walk yet. You seem to have an all or nothing attitude and that can actually work against you.