Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does everyone really eat proteins first

I dont - I eat my meal all together, and like you say, a lot of meals are something like Soup or yogurt that you cant separate anyway.

I will go to my grave believing that vegetables and fibre are the more important things to get in. If I ate my chicken and then couldnt fit my vegies in, I would consider that a pretty unbalanced meal that was providing my body with the Protein fuel to keep it alive but wasnt providing me all the things that make you look and feel good - the Vitamins, antioxidents, phytochemicals etc.

so whilst I treat protein as important and consider meals that provide good sources, I dont value it above other nutrients. You need BALANCE, all nutrients in your diet so I eat from my plate evenly. I dont know about you, but I dont fancy being thin with no teeth and no hair! We dont generally get the protein first advice in Australia anyway.

Shock, horror! Yesterday I ate zucchini and leek soup for lunch. It had some skimmed evaporated condensed milk in it, but no hard protein source! And wonder of wonders, I got through till dinner! For me, it has a lot more to do with being busy than with what I actually eat. If I have something constructive to do, making the stretch between lunch and dinner is easy.

Hey Nayttap, do you think I will ever be successful with this band huh? I mean, I'm maybe not as edumacated as you and all, but do you think I will ever really figure it out?

I dont - I eat my meal all together, and like you say, a lot of meals are something like Soup or yogurt that you cant separate anyway.

I will go to my grave believing that vegetables and fibre are the more important things to get in. If I ate my chicken and then couldnt fit my vegies in, I would consider that a pretty unbalanced meal that was providing my body with the Protein fuel to keep it alive but wasnt providing me all the things that make you look and feel good - the Vitamins, antioxidents, phytochemicals etc.

so whilst I treat protein as important and consider meals that provide good sources, I dont value it above other nutrients. You need BALANCE, all nutrients in your diet so I eat from my plate evenly. I dont know about you, but I dont fancy being thin with no teeth and no hair! We dont generally get the protein first advice in Australia anyway.

Shock, horror! Yesterday I ate zucchini and leek soup for lunch. It had some skimmed evaporated condensed milk in it, but no hard protein source! And wonder of wonders, I got through till dinner! For me, it has a lot more to do with being busy than with what I actually eat. If I have something constructive to do, making the stretch between lunch and dinner is easy.

Hey Nayttap, do you think I will ever be successful with this band huh? I mean, I'm maybe not as edumacated as you and all, but do you think I will ever really figure it out?

Thanks so much for the perspective! So in Australia they don't say protein first? I love veggies and fruits and somehow soup is very satisfyingto me even though it's a "slider." Your soup sound delicious!

I totally agree that it has a lot to do with keeping busy!

Whatever you are doing is definitely working! You are an inspiration!

I know we are suppose to eat Proteins first to help with the feeling of satiety. Truthfully I haven't really applied this except for dinners. Breakfast is usually yogurt - so no solid Protein there- lunch is salads, Soups, or egg beaters, or veggies/fruit so limited solid proteins.

What proteins to you eat first for breakfast, lunch, and dinners? Does it really make a difference getting proteins in first?

I've only had a lap band for 8 wks. I always eat scrabbled eggs for breakfast, or mostly Muscle Milk Protein Shakes mixed with 1 c skim milk with frozen fruit added. Love the shakes and they are fast. Also Atkins Mocha Latte shakes - premixed in a can.

wow, getting a bit heated, I've been banded for almost a year now. I have lost 75 pounds and I am close to my goal weight. I have personally had ups and downs with the band. This place is a great place to get answers from people who have done it. Nayttap, when i was reading your comment I too was thinking your comment was a bit out of line. Support one another, not hurt.

now to give my opinion on the Protein first:

I have a 14cc band, I have followed most of the doctors demands but like everyone I have strayed now and then. It took me 6 months to get to restriction and before that It made absolutely no difference if I ate Protein, fruits, vegetables or anything else first. I had zero restriction. I understand the question completely. Once I began to feel genuine restriction I found eating protein first did help me eat less and control hunger between meals. As far as Breakfast goes, I eat yogurt and I thicken it up with granola. my lunch and dinners are very similar. One more bit of advise, weigh your food, you should be eating 10-14ounces. I didnt weigh my food and everytime I went to the office I told them I was eating too much(so i thought) and I wanted a fill, well I got over filled. I went from a good spot to a very bad spot with just .5cc more in my band. I had to be emptied and start over. that sucked. good luck and keep it positive!

Starting weight 306

current weight 224

I have to agree with NY dad and the others...For someone to respond with such harshness.....even when they haven't "walked in their shoes yet" is pretty ridiculous. That "responder" hasn't even experienced half of the phases yet to come. I was banded in April 2010 and have lost 45-50 pounds (depending on which starting weight I go by). Have I learned a lot? ABSOLUTELY....I have I been perfect....NO WAY....Do I need reminders, support, or guidance...ABSOLUTELY...do I feel like I know "everything" about nutrition, lap band, or this process....No way. And Neither does Naytap...(she just doesn't realize that yet)unsure.gif

Do I always eat Protein first....Nope....should I? Probably.....It depends on the meal, my hunger...etc...

I have had several fills, and I hope to get another one today. It's completely normal to want to get to that point of restriction as soon as you can....we will all get there...eventually...It is so hard to wait!

Please don't let 1 bad apple in the bunch discourage you. This is a wonderful place for support...guidance, and a a little club of sorts.

You are doing great...and I can't wait to follow your successes! Both on the scale and off!

I think it is frustrating reading this site when people complain about the results and don't follow the doctors orders. I was very strict wit myself and followed my doctors orders to a tee for the first four months. I lost weight from week one. I think you should follow YOUR doctors orders until you see how it works. Once you are losing weight steadily, you can tweak things to better suit your life style. If you decide you know better before even trying to follow the rules, I fear you doom your self to failure.

Restriction is a very odd thing. I get a fill, have resrticton until I lose around 8 lbs and then it starts going away. I only do fills every two months, so I have to know what I can eat to at least maintain when I'm not as restricted as I would like. If you are only going to be happy in the green zone, your in for a rough ride. BTW, I have 2.9 cc's in a 10 cc band and have lost 90 lbs in s year. 30 to go to goal.